865PE Neo2-P and Win98SE

I built a new system with the following :

Win98SE
P4 Northwood 2.4
2 x IDE 40 gig 7200 RPM Maxtor hardrives, master and slave on IDE1
1 x GF4 440MX
1 x Asus CD drive and 1 Yamaha CD burner master and slave on IDE2
1 x Sony 1,44 floppy reader
1 x 512 stick of DDR cas 3 Crucial
The mobo has the latest bios installed...

and i had the following problems :

The machine fired up fine with no PCI cards installed , went into the
bios, set " bios set up default", set date, time ...
Went back, formatted the drive and installed my OS.

Once the OS installed, got into Windows and saw that IRQ11 was shared
between video card and Realtek onboard lan and other good stuff like that...
After a few hours things got worse and the machine would not boot
anymore into Windows.

Reformated the drive.

Went back into the bios, disabled the onboard Realtek Lan (I planned on
using) and the onboard AC97 sound (I did not plan on using).

Reinstalled the OS.

Installed a PCI Sound blaster live 5.1 and gave it IRQ 4 in the bios.
Rebooted.
Installed a Peabird Lan card and gave it IRQ 11 in the bios.
Rebooted. Found out that the bios had given it IRQ 3 instead...
No problem. Went back to the bios and changed it from 11 to 3.

Now everything is almost ok.

The peabird pci lan card is on IRQ 3
The SB live IRQ 4
The GF4 MX440 is on IRQ 10

but I can't install my Win TV card (no pci slot left)...

Sorry, this is a bit of a long post but I'd really like to have some
ideas on this from people who know better than I.

Is this "throwing shared IRQ's all over the place" some kind of problem
between newer boards and Win98 ?
Is there a way to use onboard lan on this board without having it share
the video card IRQ or the sound card IRQ which will prevent the machine
from booting ?

Thanks for any ideas
Regards

"Rica" <ricardo@nospam.net> wrote in message
>I built a new system with the following :
>
> Win98SE
> P4 Northwood 2.4
> 2 x IDE 40 gig 7200 RPM Maxtor hardrives, master and slave on IDE1
> 1 x GF4 440MX
> 1 x Asus CD drive and 1 Yamaha CD burner master and slave on IDE2
> 1 x Sony 1,44 floppy reader
> 1 x 512 stick of DDR cas 3 Crucial
> The mobo has the latest bios installed...
>
> and i had the following problems :
>
> The machine fired up fine with no PCI cards installed , went into the
> bios, set " bios set up default", set date, time ...
> Went back, formatted the drive and installed my OS.
>
> Once the OS installed, got into Windows and saw that IRQ11 was shared
> between video card and Realtek onboard lan and other good stuff like
> that...
> After a few hours things got worse and the machine would not boot anymore
> into Windows.
>
> Reformated the drive.
>
> Went back into the bios, disabled the onboard Realtek Lan (I planned on
> using) and the onboard AC97 sound (I did not plan on using).
>
> Reinstalled the OS.
>
> Installed a PCI Sound blaster live 5.1 and gave it IRQ 4 in the bios.
> Rebooted.
> Installed a Peabird Lan card and gave it IRQ 11 in the bios.
> Rebooted. Found out that the bios had given it IRQ 3 instead...
> No problem. Went back to the bios and changed it from 11 to 3.
>
> Now everything is almost ok.
>
> The peabird pci lan card is on IRQ 3
> The SB live IRQ 4
> The GF4 MX440 is on IRQ 10
>
> but I can't install my Win TV card (no pci slot left)...
>
> Sorry, this is a bit of a long post but I'd really like to have some ideas
> on this from people who know better than I.
>
> Is this "throwing shared IRQ's all over the place" some kind of problem
> between newer boards and Win98 ?
> Is there a way to use onboard lan on this board without having it share
> the video card IRQ or the sound card IRQ which will prevent the machine
> from booting ?
>
> Thanks for any ideas
> Regards

Simple answer is No!
The PCI bus only supports 4 interrupts, and that includes motherboard
devices which use the PCI bus. Oh that also includes the AGP port as well!

Modern motherbaords now support an APIC, which gives more innterupts so that
the PCI devices can have 4 interupts to themselves, but it requires an APIC
aware operating system i.e windoesxp.

Clear enough.
Thank you.