AGR or AGP? What's the difference?

I was looking at the MSI K8N Neo3-F nForce4-4X mainboard and noticed that it
has a PCI-Express and AGR slot. The connector looks the same but is the AGR
slot the same as an AGP? Can I use my MS-8911 (Geforce FX-5500) AGP8x card
in this slot so I don't have to buy a new PCI-Express video card?

Thanks in advance.
kw

"Ken Williams" <REMOVE-THIS_kwillmech1972@yahoo.com_FOR-ANTI-SPAM> wrote in
message news:eBWFe.26993$bp.19818@fed1read03...
>I was looking at the MSI K8N Neo3-F nForce4-4X mainboard and noticed that
>it has a PCI-Express and AGR slot. The connector looks the same but is the
>AGR slot the same as an AGP? Can I use my MS-8911 (Geforce FX-5500) AGP8x
>card in this slot so I don't have to buy a new PCI-Express video card?
>
> Thanks in advance.
> kw

MSI has a compatibility list of AGP VGA cards that have been tested in the
AGR (Advance Graphics Riser) slot, it is located here:

http://www.msi.com.tw/html/products/mainboard/agr/7135agr.pdf

Your MS-8911 is in this list, so no you don't need to buy a new video card.
If you are looking for better video performance then it would be wise to get
a PCI-E video card.

Ken Williams wrote:
> I was looking at the MSI K8N Neo3-F nForce4-4X mainboard and noticed that it
> has a PCI-Express and AGR slot. The connector looks the same but is the AGR
> slot the same as an AGP? Can I use my MS-8911 (Geforce FX-5500) AGP8x card
> in this slot so I don't have to buy a new PCI-Express video card?
>
> Thanks in advance.
> kw

well AGR or whatever name they like to put is actually the manufacturer
combine the pci bus to make a slot for agp card. the performance on the
slot is actually 60-70% of native agp 8x only. however it does cut cost
on normal upgrade path while u can wait until u save enough money for
pci-e graphics card upgrade later instead for forcing yourself into
budget pci-e card like ati x300 (bacically no performance advantage over
gfx5500 u have now) :)

terry