CD-DVD ROM not recognizing disks

I've had my DELL Dimension 8300 (Windows XP sp2) for about a year now and
have not had problems with this until about 2 weeks ago. This drive will not
recognize that there is a disk in it. (whether it's music or game CDs or
DVDs)
The RW (burning)drive will play the CDs so it's not the CDs. I've checked
out the Device Manager and the drive is recognized. I opened the hard drive
(per instructions from DELL support) to check cables. The drive will
recognize the DELL resource CD. So they say it's not the drive. It's
something in how the system is set up. I have not changed anything that I
know of...it just stopped working.

Another thing I found is that under the IDE ATA / ATAPI Storage controllers
in the device manager I have these listed after clicking on the + sign next
to the controllers:
Intel(R) 8201EB Ultra Storage Controller
Intel(R) 8201EB Ultra Storage Controller
Primary IDE Channel
Primary IDE Channel
Secondary IDE Channel

Should the Intel & Primary be listed twice? If not how did it get there and
how do I take them off. Could this be the source of my problem? I'm not
sure if the Controllers affect the CD-DVD drive or not...I'm grasping at
anything.

Any help would be appreciated!
--
Thanks so much,
Garfluver

garfluver <garfluver@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I've had my DELL Dimension 8300 (Windows XP sp2) for about a year now and
>have not had problems with this until about 2 weeks ago. This drive will not
>recognize that there is a disk in it. (whether it's music or game CDs or
>DVDs)

See "How to Troubleshoot Issues with Reading CD, CD-R, CD-RW, and DVD
Discs" (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321641).

--
(tm)