MS-6380 iPod USB 2.0 defaults to USB 1.1

I have been having a issue with my iPod not being able to connect to
USB 2.0 even though all ports I am plugging into are the 2.0 ports. The
1.1 driver seems to always default and not allow the 2.0 driver to
initiate. Any one else ever experience this one??

"Kennst" <ken.stronach@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have been having a issue with my iPod not being able to connect to
> USB 2.0 even though all ports I am plugging into are the 2.0 ports. The
> 1.1 driver seems to always default and not allow the 2.0 driver to
> initiate. Any one else ever experience this one??

USB 2.0 is backward compatible. That means you can get USB 2.0 Full Speed
Devices which only require a USB 1/1.1 controller. Your motherboard USB
controller can switch sockets to whatever controller it thinks fit ,
according to speed. So it will connect Full speed devices to the USB 1/1.1
controller, even if they are USB 2.0 devices. Only USB 2.0 High speed
devices will can connectd to the USB 2.0 controller.

John Russell wrote:
> "Kennst" <ken.stronach@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>I have been having a issue with my iPod not being able to connect to
>>USB 2.0 even though all ports I am plugging into are the 2.0 ports. The
>>1.1 driver seems to always default and not allow the 2.0 driver to
>>initiate. Any one else ever experience this one??
>>

> USB 2.0 is backward compatible. That means you can get USB 2.0 Full Speed
> Devices which only require a USB 1/1.1 controller. Your motherboard USB
> controller can switch sockets to whatever controller it thinks fit ,
> according to speed. So it will connect Full speed devices to the USB 1/1.1
> controller, even if they are USB 2.0 devices. Only USB 2.0 High speed
> devices will can connectd to the USB 2.0 controller.

Have you updated Windows XP to SP2 and update the USB driver to USB2?

Yes, My Computer has all the latest Bios and drivers as well as SP2 and
all subsequent updates.

John -> Thank you. Although I do understand how USB is backward
compatible, the issue is that Apples software will not recognize the
iPod unless it is connected to a USB 2.0 plug or firewire (not paying
extra for another cable to use firewire instead). I plug it in and 9
times out of 100 it is connecting as a 1.1 device and not working...

> Yes, My Computer has all the latest Bios and drivers as well as SP2 and
> all subsequent updates.
>
> John -> Thank you. Although I do understand how USB is backward
> compatible, the issue is that Apples software will not recognize the
> iPod unless it is connected to a USB 2.0 plug or firewire (not paying
> extra for another cable to use firewire instead). I plug it in and 9
> times out of 100 it is connecting as a 1.1 device and not working...

I'm afraid the Dual Controller with switchable sockets is cuasing you a
problem. I would point this out to Apple. It's easier for them to fix the
software then anything else.
Even WindowsXP thinks USB 2.0 Full Speed devices should be connected to the
USB 2.0 controller. I get all kinds of warning Messages when the "wrong"
port is used during an installation.

Alternatively you buy a separate USB 2.0 Controller or a firewire cable!