MS-6380 iPod USB 2.0 defaults to USB 1.1

I have been having a issue with my iPod not being able to connect to
USB 2.0 even though all ports I am plugging into are the 2.0 ports. The
1.1 driver seems to always default and not allow the 2.0 driver to
initiate. Any one else ever experience this one??
4 answers Last reply
More about 6380 ipod defaults

    "Kennst" <ken.stronach@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have been having a issue with my iPod not being able to connect to
    > USB 2.0 even though all ports I am plugging into are the 2.0 ports. The
    > 1.1 driver seems to always default and not allow the 2.0 driver to
    > initiate. Any one else ever experience this one??

    USB 2.0 is backward compatible. That means you can get USB 2.0 Full Speed
    Devices which only require a USB 1/1.1 controller. Your motherboard USB
    controller can switch sockets to whatever controller it thinks fit ,
    according to speed. So it will connect Full speed devices to the USB 1/1.1
    controller, even if they are USB 2.0 devices. Only USB 2.0 High speed
    devices will can connectd to the USB 2.0 controller.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

    John Russell wrote:
    > "Kennst" <ken.stronach@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>I have been having a issue with my iPod not being able to connect to
    >>USB 2.0 even though all ports I am plugging into are the 2.0 ports. The
    >>1.1 driver seems to always default and not allow the 2.0 driver to
    >>initiate. Any one else ever experience this one??
    >>

    > USB 2.0 is backward compatible. That means you can get USB 2.0 Full Speed
    > Devices which only require a USB 1/1.1 controller. Your motherboard USB
    > controller can switch sockets to whatever controller it thinks fit ,
    > according to speed. So it will connect Full speed devices to the USB 1/1.1
    > controller, even if they are USB 2.0 devices. Only USB 2.0 High speed
    > devices will can connectd to the USB 2.0 controller.

    Have you updated Windows XP to SP2 and update the USB driver to USB2?
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

    Yes, My Computer has all the latest Bios and drivers as well as SP2 and
    all subsequent updates.

    John -> Thank you. Although I do understand how USB is backward
    compatible, the issue is that Apples software will not recognize the
    iPod unless it is connected to a USB 2.0 plug or firewire (not paying
    extra for another cable to use firewire instead). I plug it in and 9
    times out of 100 it is connecting as a 1.1 device and not working...
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

    > Yes, My Computer has all the latest Bios and drivers as well as SP2 and
    > all subsequent updates.
    >
    > John -> Thank you. Although I do understand how USB is backward
    > compatible, the issue is that Apples software will not recognize the
    > iPod unless it is connected to a USB 2.0 plug or firewire (not paying
    > extra for another cable to use firewire instead). I plug it in and 9
    > times out of 100 it is connecting as a 1.1 device and not working...

    I'm afraid the Dual Controller with switchable sockets is cuasing you a
    problem. I would point this out to Apple. It's easier for them to fix the
    software then anything else.
    Even WindowsXP thinks USB 2.0 Full Speed devices should be connected to the
    USB 2.0 controller. I get all kinds of warning Messages when the "wrong"
    port is used during an installation.

    Alternatively you buy a separate USB 2.0 Controller or a firewire cable!

MSI-Microstar iPod USB Motherboards