Hi,
Iv got an AMD 4000+ with MSI k8n neo2 platinum mobo, 2gb RAM, etc ...
After flashing the BIOS to the latest version, I have a problem with my
nvidia lan card. It constantly has MAC address FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF (all
F's).
Why did this happen and how do i fix it?

On 30 Jul 2005 21:09:09 -0700, "Michael Gorbach" <mgorbach@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Hi,
>Iv got an AMD 4000+ with MSI k8n neo2 platinum mobo, 2gb RAM, etc ...
>After flashing the BIOS to the latest version, I have a problem with my
>nvidia lan card. It constantly has MAC address FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF (all
>F's).
>Why did this happen and how do i fix it?

Are you sure that was caused by the bios update? I just flashed my
K8N to the latest version (1.9) last night and my MAC address is
normal.

I am not sure it was caused by the BIOS update ... but I also don't see
what else it could be.
I have tried it on 2 completely fresh XP installs, and it doesn't work
on either.

Make sure that flashing your BIOS didn't reset the boot order of your
hard drives. You may have to move the HD with Windows on it back to
the #1 slot on the list.
Ozzy
Michael Gorbach wrote:
> Hi,
> Iv got an AMD 4000+ with MSI k8n neo2 platinum mobo, 2gb RAM, etc ...
> After flashing the BIOS to the latest version, I have a problem with my
> nvidia lan card. It constantly has MAC address FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF (all
> F's).
> Why did this happen and how do i fix it?

How does the boot order affect my problem?
Windows boots just fine.

"" wrote:
> Hi,
> Iv got an AMD 4000+ with MSI k8n neo2 platinum mobo, 2gb RAM,
> etc ...
> After flashing the BIOS to the latest version, I have a
> problem with my
> nvidia lan card. It constantly has MAC address
> FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF (all
> F's).
> Why did this happen and how do i fix it?

Hello Michael-

I have the same CPU and motherboard as you. I also flashed to BIOS
v1.9, and had the EXACT same thing happen! The MAC address for the
nVidia NIC was set to FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF.

It appears MSI has a bug in that BIOS flash!

I e-mailed MSI tech support to find out what to do next. They said
the MAC address is on the sticker on the top inside surface of the
parallel port. They are contacting Taiwan to see if they can come up
with a utility to flash the MAC back into BIOS.

In the mean time, I used the nVidia Forceware network manger utility
to put the MAC back in using the numbers on the sticker. It’s in
software, not hardware, but at least the system is back up and
connecting to the DHCP server in my router.

You might want to contact MSI tech support also - they need to know
this is a real problem.

Good luck!

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/MSI-Microstar-k8n-neo2-platinum-ftopict59750.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=303198

"" wrote:
> Hi,
> Iv got an AMD 4000+ with MSI k8n neo2 platinum mobo, 2gb RAM,
> etc ...
> After flashing the BIOS to the latest version, I have a
> problem with my
> nvidia lan card. It constantly has MAC address
> FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF (all
> F's).
> Why did this happen and how do i fix it?

Hello Again Michael-

Well, MSI tech support got back to me and said they have no utilities
to flash the MAC back into the BIOS. They say I should RMA the board
- if not to the vendor, then back to them.

At this point, as the system is working, I’m NOT willing to rip the
whole thing apart and do without for a number of days/weeks while the
RMA process runs it’s course.

I have one more set of things to try to see if I can reset the MAC. I
will update you tomorrow and let you know if it worked. In the mean
time, feel free to PM me with any questions.

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/MSI-Microstar-k8n-neo2-platinum-ftopict59750.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=303267

Go to Network Controller Properties and change the Network Address property
back to Not Used.

"ZenDrum" <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message
> "" wrote:
> > Hi,
> > Iv got an AMD 4000+ with MSI k8n neo2 platinum mobo, 2gb RAM,
> > etc ...
> > After flashing the BIOS to the latest version, I have a
> > problem with my
> > nvidia lan card. It constantly has MAC address
> > FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF (all
> > F's).
> > Why did this happen and how do i fix it?
>
> Hello Again Michael-
>
> Well, MSI tech support got back to me and said they have no utilities
> to flash the MAC back into the BIOS. They say I should RMA the board
> - if not to the vendor, then back to them.
>
> At this point, as the system is working, I'm NOT willing to rip the
> whole thing apart and do without for a number of days/weeks while the
> RMA process runs it's course.
>
> I have one more set of things to try to see if I can reset the MAC. I
> will update you tomorrow and let you know if it worked. In the mean
> time, feel free to PM me with any questions.

> request
> Topic URL:
> http://www.hardwareforumz.com/MSI-Microstar-k8n-neo2-platinum-ftopict59750.html
> http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=303267

Sorry thats Not Present.

"Ken Williams" <REMOVE-THIS_kwillmech1972@yahoo.com_FOR-ANTI-SPAM> wrote in
message news:qJzIe.30753$bp.21136@fed1read03...

"" wrote:
> Hi,
> Iv got an AMD 4000+ with MSI k8n neo2 platinum mobo, 2gb RAM,
> etc ...
> After flashing the BIOS to the latest version, I have a
> problem with my
> nvidia lan card. It constantly has MAC address
> FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF (all
> F's).
> Why did this happen and how do i fix it?

OK Michael!

I know how to fix this!

When you flash the BIOS from the DOS prompt using the flash utility
from MSI, type this:

awfl833d.exe w7025nms.xxx /nvmac:xxxxxxxxxxxx /wb

where w7025nms.xxx is the BIOS file you want, and xxxxxxxxxxxx is the
MAC address for the nVidia chipset. That MAC is on a sticker on the
inside top surface of your parallel port.

This is all explained in the help files for the flasher - you can
access these by typing awfl833d.exe /help at the DOS prompt.

Good luck! Report back with results!

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/MSI-Microstar-k8n-neo2-platinum-ftopict59750.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=303437

yep that worked ok ...
I found out about this earlier from the msi forums ... thansk anwyays.

Michael Gorbach schrieb:
> yep that worked ok ...
> I found out about this earlier from the msi forums ... thansk anwyays.

MSI tech support could have found out, too...;-(

r0y