Dear all

I hope someone can and will help. I run windows xp home with sp2 on my
laptop. For sometime now the DVD/CD RW combo drive has not been functioning
properly. By that I mean that the computer appears to recognise that there
is a DVD/CD drive but has not been able to read or burn CDs. I've tried
updating drivers etc but no joy. I then bought a DVD RW which connects to
the laptop via USB port. Once again, the computer lists the new device as
another drive that it can recognise but still does not read any discs placed
in that drive. To make it more complicated, I have found that I am able to
use the new drive to burn files as a backup!! It therefore seems that my
computer can write to the drive but cannot read anything from it. I think
it means that the fault is still something to do with a setting on the
computer but I have run out of ideas. I even tried to copy across all the
driver files from another computer via a network assuming that one of the
required drivers on my computer was corrupted but no luck!

Is anybody able to suggest anything?

Syl

Hi Sylvio,

How long has this been happening? Have you installed or uninstalled any
software?

You could try right clicking on the CD drive and choose properties--then on
the recording tab, make sure "enable cd recording on this drive is checked".

Newtechie

"Sylvio Tamin" <skftamin@aol.com> wrote in message
> Dear all
>
> I hope someone can and will help. I run windows xp home with sp2 on my
> laptop. For sometime now the DVD/CD RW combo drive has not been
> functioning properly. By that I mean that the computer appears to
> recognise that there is a DVD/CD drive but has not been able to read or
> burn CDs. I've tried updating drivers etc but no joy. I then bought a
> DVD RW which connects to the laptop via USB port. Once again, the
> computer lists the new device as another drive that it can recognise but
> still does not read any discs placed in that drive. To make it more
> complicated, I have found that I am able to use the new drive to burn
> files as a backup!! It therefore seems that my computer can write to the
> drive but cannot read anything from it. I think it means that the fault
> is still something to do with a setting on the computer but I have run out
> of ideas. I even tried to copy across all the driver files from another
> computer via a network assuming that one of the required drivers on my
> computer was corrupted but no luck!
>
> Is anybody able to suggest anything?
>
> Syl

syl

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2004

Hi Newtechnie
Thanks for the suggestion but I've tried that already. However, I seem to
have stumbled on the solution which seems to have worked so far. I
uninstalled both drives and instead of finding new hardware via control
panel I rebooted and allowed the drives to be reinstalled that way. I am
not sure whether that really makes any difference but I have been able to
read disks off both drives so far...

Hope this is not just a temporary improvement!

Sylvio
"Newtechie" <newtechie@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hi Sylvio,
>
> How long has this been happening? Have you installed or uninstalled any
> software?
>
> You could try right clicking on the CD drive and choose properties--then
> on the recording tab, make sure "enable cd recording on this drive is
> checked".
>
> Newtechie
>
> "Sylvio Tamin" <skftamin@aol.com> wrote in message
>> Dear all
>>
>> I hope someone can and will help. I run windows xp home with sp2 on my
>> laptop. For sometime now the DVD/CD RW combo drive has not been
>> functioning properly. By that I mean that the computer appears to
>> recognise that there is a DVD/CD drive but has not been able to read or
>> burn CDs. I've tried updating drivers etc but no joy. I then bought a
>> DVD RW which connects to the laptop via USB port. Once again, the
>> computer lists the new device as another drive that it can recognise but
>> still does not read any discs placed in that drive. To make it more
>> complicated, I have found that I am able to use the new drive to burn
>> files as a backup!! It therefore seems that my computer can write to the
>> drive but cannot read anything from it. I think it means that the fault
>> is still something to do with a setting on the computer but I have run
>> out of ideas. I even tried to copy across all the driver files from
>> another computer via a network assuming that one of the required drivers
>> on my computer was corrupted but no luck!
>>
>> Is anybody able to suggest anything?
>>
>> Syl

Hi Syl,

Glad you've got it working...I was gonna suggest that next.

Newtechie