Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse 2.0

Hi all,

A plea for help. I have the Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse 2.0, have
installed the intellipoint 5.0 software prior to connecting the mouse.
Plugged in the receiver and all worked fine - for a while. The pointer moves
to the middle of the left side of the screen and then acts like it is on an
elastic band. As you try to move anywhere, always returning to the middle
left of screen, making the mouse unuseable. Found the software update to
5.2, uninstalled 5.0 and installed 5.2, again worked fine to start then
problem arose again.

I am as happy as you can be that there are no known viruses/trojans etc etc.
I have completed the mouse software/registry removal as per Microsofts
Knowledge base for xp and re-installed 5.2, fine in the first instance but
again after an undertermined time problem was back again.

Thought it may be a faulty mouse so have had it exchanged, again fine for a
while but then problem back again. So have decided it MUST be software
oriented. Have removed rubbish from the system and the registry, on reboot
fine for a while then problem back again. Have tried the USB and PS2
connections with the same result for both. Connected a standard cabelled PS2
mouse and it works fine. I have also tried moving the receiver unit to
various places within its cable range to see if it is suffering interference
from monitors etc, no difference seen. Likewise pressing the button on the
receiver and mouse to resync them makes no difference.

I have also noticed that the screensaver does not appear to actuate but
cannot directly associate this timeline wise with the mouse problem, thought
was that the shutdown was affecting the mouse perhaps but not blanking the
screen? Could this cause the mouse problem as above? 'sfc' has been run
through to restore/check system file integrity so assuming these are ok at
this time.

The only other wireless system in proximity is a router, this is set to
frequency 2.412GHz, according to the mouse literature the mouse runs on two
channels, 27.045MHz or 27.145MHz these do not appear to clash.

All offers of help greatly appreciated. For info machine is running XP Pro
with SP2. Thanks in advance.

Dave.
11 answers Last reply
More about microsoft wireless optical mouse

    Hi Dave,
    I have a similar problem and it is very very distressing. And we are not
    alone! Try to search the Microsoft Discussion Group for "mouse problem" in
    "English". You will find at least 4 or 5 discussion thread discussing very
    similar problem. I have read through all of them, and found no perfect fix.
    Some worked for a while, then the problem gradually reappered, others just
    did not make any diference. I have tried both with a wired and wireless
    mouse, so I don't think your wifi router is the problem. Sorry for not being
    much help! I will post my own version of the problem on a different
    discussion thread, so as not to crowed yours. Check it out for suggestions.
    Sophie

    "Dave Wilcox" wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > A plea for help. I have the Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse 2.0, have
    > installed the intellipoint 5.0 software prior to connecting the mouse.
    > Plugged in the receiver and all worked fine - for a while. The pointer moves
    > to the middle of the left side of the screen and then acts like it is on an
    > elastic band. As you try to move anywhere, always returning to the middle
    > left of screen, making the mouse unuseable. Found the software update to
    > 5.2, uninstalled 5.0 and installed 5.2, again worked fine to start then
    > problem arose again.
    >
    > I am as happy as you can be that there are no known viruses/trojans etc etc.
    > I have completed the mouse software/registry removal as per Microsofts
    > Knowledge base for xp and re-installed 5.2, fine in the first instance but
    > again after an undertermined time problem was back again.
    >
    > Thought it may be a faulty mouse so have had it exchanged, again fine for a
    > while but then problem back again. So have decided it MUST be software
    > oriented. Have removed rubbish from the system and the registry, on reboot
    > fine for a while then problem back again. Have tried the USB and PS2
    > connections with the same result for both. Connected a standard cabelled PS2
    > mouse and it works fine. I have also tried moving the receiver unit to
    > various places within its cable range to see if it is suffering interference
    > from monitors etc, no difference seen. Likewise pressing the button on the
    > receiver and mouse to resync them makes no difference.
    >
    > I have also noticed that the screensaver does not appear to actuate but
    > cannot directly associate this timeline wise with the mouse problem, thought
    > was that the shutdown was affecting the mouse perhaps but not blanking the
    > screen? Could this cause the mouse problem as above? 'sfc' has been run
    > through to restore/check system file integrity so assuming these are ok at
    > this time.
    >
    > The only other wireless system in proximity is a router, this is set to
    > frequency 2.412GHz, according to the mouse literature the mouse runs on two
    > channels, 27.045MHz or 27.145MHz these do not appear to clash.
    >
    > All offers of help greatly appreciated. For info machine is running XP Pro
    > with SP2. Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Dave.

    Thanks Sophie,

    I have read lots of messages re this prior to posting, this was desperation,
    there are lots of us with this problem it seems. I am going to speak to
    Microsoft next week and see what they have to say about it, thanks anyway
    hope you find the answer. Will update re Microsoft after I get hold of
    someone.

    I have checked the Task Manager as another option and on the performance tag
    there is something doing something on the CPU Usage Graph at regularish
    intervals, I have removed running programs and it remains active, will have
    to have a go at processes next time around, as yet unable to bottom out
    exactly what and why if I find out I will post it here also.

    Dave

    "Sophie" <sophie@discussiongroup.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    >> receiver and mouse to resync them makes no difference.
    >>
    >> I have also noticed that the screensaver does not appear to actuate but
    >> cannot directly associate this timeline wise with the mouse problem,
    >> thought
    >> was that the shutdown was affecting the mouse perhaps but not blanking
    >> the
    >> screen? Could this cause the mouse problem as above? 'sfc' has been run
    >> through to restore/check system file integrity so assuming these are ok
    >> at
    >> this time.
    >>
    >> The only other wireless system in proximity is a router, this is set to
    >> frequency 2.412GHz, according to the mouse literature the mouse runs on
    >> two
    >> channels, 27.045MHz or 27.145MHz these do not appear to clash.
    >>
    >> All offers of help greatly appreciated. For info machine is running XP

    Further update: The cabled mouse has now gone the same way as the Wireless
    Optical so have to assume now that there is nowt wrong with the mice or
    meeces.

    This has now got to be a software problem.

    Dave.

    "Dave Wilcox" <dave@magnate.org.uk> wrote in message
> [...]
    >>> receiver and mouse to resync them makes no difference.
    >>>
    >>> I have also noticed that the screensaver does not appear to actuate but
    >>> cannot directly associate this timeline wise with the mouse problem,
    >>> thought
    >>> was that the shutdown was affecting the mouse perhaps but not blanking
    >>> the
    >>> screen? Could this cause the mouse problem as above? 'sfc' has been run
    >>> through to restore/check system file integrity so assuming these are ok
    >>> at
    >>> this time.
    >>>
    >>> The only other wireless system in proximity is a router, this is set to
    >>> frequency 2.412GHz, according to the mouse literature the mouse runs on
    >>> two
    >>> channels, 27.045MHz or 27.145MHz these do not appear to clash.
    >>>
    >>> All offers of help greatly appreciated. For info machine is running XP

    well done!

    There have been many posts lately about this, I hope all those in need find
    your thread.

    --
    "Display tolerance & kindness to those with less
    knowledge than you because there is ALWAYS

    > Hi all,
    >
    > A plea for help. I have the Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse 2.0, have
    > installed the intellipoint 5.0 software prior to connecting the mouse.
    > Plugged in the receiver and all worked fine - for a while. The pointer
    moves
    > to the middle of the left side of the screen and then acts like it is on
    an
    > elastic band. As you try to move anywhere, always returning to the middle
    > left of screen, making the mouse unuseable. Found the software update to
    > 5.2, uninstalled 5.0 and installed 5.2, again worked fine to start then
    > problem arose again.
    >
    > I am as happy as you can be that there are no known viruses/trojans etc
    etc.
    > I have completed the mouse software/registry removal as per Microsofts
    > Knowledge base for xp and re-installed 5.2, fine in the first instance but
    > again after an undertermined time problem was back again.
    >
    > Thought it may be a faulty mouse so have had it exchanged, again fine for
    > while but then problem back again. So have decided it MUST be software
    > oriented. Have removed rubbish from the system and the registry, on reboot
    > fine for a while then problem back again. Have tried the USB and PS2
    > connections with the same result for both. Connected a standard cabelled
    PS2
    > mouse and it works fine. I have also tried moving the receiver unit to
    > various places within its cable range to see if it is suffering
    interference
    > from monitors etc, no difference seen. Likewise pressing the button on the
    > receiver and mouse to resync them makes no difference.
    >
    > I have also noticed that the screensaver does not appear to actuate but
    > cannot directly associate this timeline wise with the mouse problem,
    thought
    > was that the shutdown was affecting the mouse perhaps but not blanking the
    > screen? Could this cause the mouse problem as above? 'sfc' has been run
    > through to restore/check system file integrity so assuming these are ok at
    > this time.
    >
    > The only other wireless system in proximity is a router, this is set to
    > frequency 2.412GHz, according to the mouse literature the mouse runs on
    two
    > channels, 27.045MHz or 27.145MHz these do not appear to clash.
    >
    > All offers of help greatly appreciated. For info machine is running XP Pro
    > with SP2. Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Dave.

    By George I think I've got it!!!!

    Speaking with Microsoft and a very helpful man named Connor, many thanks
    Connor you sowed the seeds and I reaped the harvest , I think.

    Anyway I had found the following link:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321122 and had
    followed it through to completion and nothing. Same problem.

    After speaking with Connor and batting the problem around something he said
    stuck. The screen saver will not run due to the system believing the mouse
    is moving. The mouse was always pulling to the left screen edge. It had to
    be linked.

    Back to the above link and remove anything this time that even remotely
    resembled any association with the mouse. I mean everything in every section
    mentioned in the webpage. Did that and re-installed the mouse driver,
    intellimouse 5.2, and the screen saver worked!! first hint of possible
    success. The machine has now been running for several hours without the
    mouse shooting off anywhere on its own. If it stays like this I will update
    this news-line with one final email of closure. I hope this helps all you
    other people having the same or similar problem. It IS surmountable.

    > Further update: The cabled mouse has now gone the same way as the Wireless
    > Optical so have to assume now that there is nowt wrong with the mice or
    > meeces.
    >
    > This has now got to be a software problem.
    >
    > Dave.
    >
    > "Dave Wilcox" <dave@magnate.org.uk> wrote in message
    >> Thanks Sophie,
    >>
    >> I have read lots of messages re this prior to posting, this was
    >> desperation, there are lots of us with this problem it seems. I am going
    >> to speak to Microsoft next week and see what they have to say about it,
    >> thanks anyway hope you find the answer. Will update re Microsoft after I
    >> get hold of someone.
    >>
    >> I have checked the Task Manager as another option and on the performance
    >> tag there is something doing something on the CPU Usage Graph at
    >> regularish intervals, I have removed running programs and it remains
    >> active, will have to have a go at processes next time around, as yet
    >> unable to bottom out exactly what and why if I find out I will post it
    >> here also.
    >>
    >> Dave
    >>
    >> "Sophie" <sophie@discussiongroup.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hi Dave,
    >>> I have a similar problem and it is very very distressing. And we are not
    >>> alone! Try to search the Microsoft Discussion Group for "mouse problem"
    >>> in
    >>> "English". You will find at least 4 or 5 discussion thread discussing
    >>> very
    >>> similar problem. I have read through all of them, and found no perfect
    >>> fix.
    >>> Some worked for a while, then the problem gradually reappered, others
    >>> just
    >>> did not make any diference. I have tried both with a wired and wireless
    >>> mouse, so I don't think your wifi router is the problem. Sorry for not
    >>> being
    >>> much help! I will post my own version of the problem on a different
    >>> discussion thread, so as not to crowed yours. Check it out for
    >>> suggestions.
    >>> Sophie

    For Info Connor works at Microsoft, dont think I said that, a very nice man
    and helpful too. Thanks Connor.

    Well folks this is the solution to my problem. If it doesnt work for you
    good luck on your quest. Mine is over successfully.

    > By George I think I've got it!!!!
    >
    > Speaking with Microsoft and a very helpful man named Connor, many thanks
    > Connor you sowed the seeds and I reaped the harvest , I think.
    >
    > Anyway I had found the following link:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321122 and had
    > followed it through to completion and nothing. Same problem.
    >
    > After speaking with Connor and batting the problem around something he
    > said stuck. The screen saver will not run due to the system believing the
    > mouse is moving. The mouse was always pulling to the left screen edge. It
    > had to be linked.
    >
    > Back to the above link and remove anything this time that even remotely
    > resembled any association with the mouse. I mean everything in every
    > section mentioned in the webpage. Did that and re-installed the mouse
    > driver, intellimouse 5.2, and the screen saver worked!! first hint of
    > possible success. The machine has now been running for several hours
    > without the mouse shooting off anywhere on its own. If it stays like this
    > I will update this news-line with one final email of closure. I hope this
    > helps all you other people having the same or similar problem. It IS
    > surmountable.
    >
    > Dave
    >
    > "Dave Wilcox" <dave@magnate.org.uk> wrote in message
    >> Further update: The cabled mouse has now gone the same way as the
    >> Wireless Optical so have to assume now that there is nowt wrong with the
    >> mice or meeces.
    >>
    >> This has now got to be a software problem.
    >>
    >> Dave.
    >>
    >> "Dave Wilcox" <dave@magnate.org.uk> wrote in message
    >>> Thanks Sophie,
    >>>
    >>> I have read lots of messages re this prior to posting, this was
    >>> desperation, there are lots of us with this problem it seems. I am going
    >>> to speak to Microsoft next week and see what they have to say about it,
    >>> thanks anyway hope you find the answer. Will update re Microsoft after I
    >>> get hold of someone.
    >>>
    >>> I have checked the Task Manager as another option and on the performance
    >>> tag there is something doing something on the CPU Usage Graph at
    >>> regularish intervals, I have removed running programs and it remains
    >>> active, will have to have a go at processes next time around, as yet
    >>> unable to bottom out exactly what and why if I find out I will post it
    >>> here also.
    >>>
    >>> Dave
    >>>
    >>> "Sophie" <sophie@discussiongroup.com> wrote in message

    Dave,
    Thank you, but please update us in a few days time. My experience so far is
    that the problems reappears after a few days. Several times already, I
    declared victory and after a few days was back at square one, so I am
    understandably skeptical.
    Sophie

    "Dave Wilcox" wrote:

    > For Info Connor works at Microsoft, dont think I said that, a very nice man
    > and helpful too. Thanks Connor.
    >
    > Well folks this is the solution to my problem. If it doesnt work for you
    > good luck on your quest. Mine is over successfully.
    >
    > Dave
    >
    > "Dave Wilcox" <dave@magnate.org.uk> wrote in message
    > > By George I think I've got it!!!!
    > >
    > > Speaking with Microsoft and a very helpful man named Connor, many thanks
    > > Connor you sowed the seeds and I reaped the harvest , I think.
    > >
    > > Anyway I had found the following link:
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321122 and had
    > > followed it through to completion and nothing. Same problem.
    > >
    > > After speaking with Connor and batting the problem around something he
    > > said stuck. The screen saver will not run due to the system believing the
    > > mouse is moving. The mouse was always pulling to the left screen edge. It
    > > had to be linked.
    > >
    > > Back to the above link and remove anything this time that even remotely
    > > resembled any association with the mouse. I mean everything in every
    > > section mentioned in the webpage. Did that and re-installed the mouse
    > > driver, intellimouse 5.2, and the screen saver worked!! first hint of
    > > possible success. The machine has now been running for several hours
    > > without the mouse shooting off anywhere on its own. If it stays like this
    > > I will update this news-line with one final email of closure. I hope this
    > > helps all you other people having the same or similar problem. It IS
    > > surmountable.
    > >
    > > Dave
    > >
    > > "Dave Wilcox" <dave@magnate.org.uk> wrote in message
    > >> Further update: The cabled mouse has now gone the same way as the
    > >> Wireless Optical so have to assume now that there is nowt wrong with the
    > >> mice or meeces.
    > >>
    > >> This has now got to be a software problem.
    > >>
    > >> Dave.
    > >>
    > >> "Dave Wilcox" <dave@magnate.org.uk> wrote in message

    Hi Sophie & All,

    Still working fine, had to re-install a couple of bits & pieces which I had
    obviously deleted believing to be mouse oriented. A minor hiccough though.

    Hope this helps.

    > Dave,
    > Thank you, but please update us in a few days time. My experience so far
    > is
    > that the problems reappears after a few days. Several times already, I
    > declared victory and after a few days was back at square one, so I am
    > understandably skeptical.
    > Sophie
    >
    > "Dave Wilcox" wrote:
    >
    >> For Info Connor works at Microsoft, dont think I said that, a very nice
    >> man
    >> and helpful too. Thanks Connor.
    >>
    >> Well folks this is the solution to my problem. If it doesnt work for you
    >> good luck on your quest. Mine is over successfully.
    >>
    >> Dave
    >>
    >> "Dave Wilcox" <dave@magnate.org.uk> wrote in message
    >> > By George I think I've got it!!!!
    >> >
    >> > Speaking with Microsoft and a very helpful man named Connor, many
    >> > thanks
    >> > Connor you sowed the seeds and I reaped the harvest , I think.
    >> >
    >> > Anyway I had found the following link:
    >> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321122 and had
    >> > followed it through to completion and nothing. Same problem.
    >> >
    >> > After speaking with Connor and batting the problem around something he
    >> > said stuck. The screen saver will not run due to the system believing
    >> > the
    >> > mouse is moving. The mouse was always pulling to the left screen edge.
    >> > It
    >> > had to be linked.
    >> >
    >> > Back to the above link and remove anything this time that even remotely
    >> > resembled any association with the mouse. I mean everything in every
    >> > section mentioned in the webpage. Did that and re-installed the mouse
    >> > driver, intellimouse 5.2, and the screen saver worked!! first hint of
    >> > possible success. The machine has now been running for several hours
    >> > without the mouse shooting off anywhere on its own. If it stays like
    >> > this
    >> > I will update this news-line with one final email of closure. I hope
    >> > this
    >> > helps all you other people having the same or similar problem. It IS
    >> > surmountable.
    >> >
    >> > Dave
    >> >
    >> > "Dave Wilcox" <dave@magnate.org.uk> wrote in message

    Hi Dave,

    I tried the same solution that worked for you. But it had no effect on my
    mouse problem, not even a temporary one :-(

    Probably a different problem.

    Thanks anyway.

    Sylvie

    "Dave Wilcox" wrote:

    > Hi Sophie & All,
    >
    > Still working fine, had to re-install a couple of bits & pieces which I had
    > obviously deleted believing to be mouse oriented. A minor hiccough though.
    >
    > Hope this helps.
    >
    > Dave.
    > "Sophie" <sophie@discussiongroup.com> wrote in message
    > > Dave,
    > > Thank you, but please update us in a few days time. My experience so far
    > > is
    > > that the problems reappears after a few days. Several times already, I
    > > declared victory and after a few days was back at square one, so I am
    > > understandably skeptical.
    > > Sophie
    > >
    > > "Dave Wilcox" wrote:
    > >
    > >> For Info Connor works at Microsoft, dont think I said that, a very nice
    > >> man
    > >> and helpful too. Thanks Connor.
    > >>
    > >> Well folks this is the solution to my problem. If it doesnt work for you
    > >> good luck on your quest. Mine is over successfully.
    > >>
    > >> Dave
    > >>
    > >> "Dave Wilcox" <dave@magnate.org.uk> wrote in message

    I tried that solution as well to no avail.

    The Basic Optical Mouse that I am using showed no improvement. The mouse
    acts like it is resetting or realinging itself as it dashes to the ends of
    the screen. It seems to do this randomly. There are times when many hours
    go by without this happening. Sometimes, only a few minutes separate
    instances of this weird behavior.

    The solution specified some registry items, which I was supposed to delete,
    that were not in my registry.

    Also, I tried changing the Sample Rate and Input Buffer Length within the
    driver without any change in performance.

    It now appears that the mouse hardware itself may be to blame. Maybe, it's
    time to revert back to a mouse with a roller ball...or buy an optical mouse
    from a different vendor.

    What about the mouse pad? Could that be the cause of this weirdness? What
    do you think about using an all-white pad as opposed to black one or one
    with a design?

    > Hi Dave,
    >
    > I tried the same solution that worked for you. But it had no effect on my
    > mouse problem, not even a temporary one :-(
    >
    > Probably a different problem.
    >
    > Thanks anyway.
    >
    > Sylvie
    >

    > "Dave Wilcox" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi Sophie & All,
    > >
    > > Still working fine, had to re-install a couple of bits & pieces which I
    had
    > > obviously deleted believing to be mouse oriented. A minor hiccough
    though.

    > > Hope this helps.
    > >
    > > Dave.
    > > "Sophie" <sophie@discussiongroup.com> wrote in message
    > > > Dave,
    > > > Thank you, but please update us in a few days time. My experience so
    far
    > > > is
    > > > that the problems reappears after a few days. Several times already, I
    > > > declared victory and after a few days was back at square one, so I am
    > > > understandably skeptical.
    > > > Sophie

    IS

    Hi Dave,

    You seem to be facing the same issues as I'm facing with this mouse. Check
    out my post with the text in the title "clicks don't work". I also have the
    dreaded feeling that this might be because of XP with SP2. I don't have the
    option of dumping SP2 and I can't return the mouse for a different brand
    because I bought it from a store in another country. I even tried the steps
    in the Microsoft article that I came across. It seems to be a known issue
    with no assured resolution.

    Let us know if you come up with a workaround.

    Regards.

    Wilcox" wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > A plea for help. I have the Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse 2.0, have
    > installed the intellipoint 5.0 software prior to connecting the mouse.
    > Plugged in the receiver and all worked fine - for a while. The pointer moves
    > to the middle of the left side of the screen and then acts like it is on an
    > elastic band. As you try to move anywhere, always returning to the middle
    > left of screen, making the mouse unuseable. Found the software update to
    > 5.2, uninstalled 5.0 and installed 5.2, again worked fine to start then
    > problem arose again.
    >
    > I am as happy as you can be that there are no known viruses/trojans etc etc.
    > I have completed the mouse software/registry removal as per Microsofts
    > Knowledge base for xp and re-installed 5.2, fine in the first instance but
    > again after an undertermined time problem was back again.
    >
    > Thought it may be a faulty mouse so have had it exchanged, again fine for a
    > while but then problem back again. So have decided it MUST be software
    > oriented. Have removed rubbish from the system and the registry, on reboot
    > fine for a while then problem back again. Have tried the USB and PS2
    > connections with the same result for both. Connected a standard cabelled PS2
    > mouse and it works fine. I have also tried moving the receiver unit to
    > various places within its cable range to see if it is suffering interference
    > from monitors etc, no difference seen. Likewise pressing the button on the
    > receiver and mouse to resync them makes no difference.
    >
    > I have also noticed that the screensaver does not appear to actuate but
    > cannot directly associate this timeline wise with the mouse problem, thought
    > was that the shutdown was affecting the mouse perhaps but not blanking the
    > screen? Could this cause the mouse problem as above? 'sfc' has been run
    > through to restore/check system file integrity so assuming these are ok at
    > this time.
    >
    > The only other wireless system in proximity is a router, this is set to
    > frequency 2.412GHz, according to the mouse literature the mouse runs on two
    > channels, 27.045MHz or 27.145MHz these do not appear to clash.
    >
    > All offers of help greatly appreciated. For info machine is running XP Pro
    > with SP2. Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Dave.

Mice Wireless Optical Mouse Microsoft Windows XP