Deon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi there,

I think my PC's power supply just packed up. How can I test if this is the
case?

My pc worked and the next moment just went dead. I have a multi tester to
test some wires.
I already tested the Power Supply's outlet, the one that normally goes to
the monitor, and that's fine (we have 50Hz - 230V).

I trust I gave enough info to be helped.

Regards,

Deon

shaun

If nothing turns on, no fan on the supply then get a new supply.
"Deon" <REMOVEdeon@REMOVEsincro.co.za> wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> I think my PC's power supply just packed up. How can I test if this is the
> case?
>
> My pc worked and the next moment just went dead. I have a multi tester to
> test some wires.
> I already tested the Power Supply's outlet, the one that normally goes to
> the monitor, and that's fine (we have 50Hz - 230V).
>
> I trust I gave enough info to be helped.
>
> Regards,
>
> Deon

Take the cover off and look for any lit LED's
on the motherboard. Most MB's have one or two...
if they're lit, at least some part of the PSU is still
working.

Power supplies are cheap anyway, it's probably just as
easy to go get one and try it...

"Deon" <REMOVEdeon@REMOVEsincro.co.za> wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> I think my PC's power supply just packed up. How can I test if this is the
> case?
>
> My pc worked and the next moment just went dead. I have a multi tester to
> test some wires.
> I already tested the Power Supply's outlet, the one that normally goes to
> the monitor, and that's fine (we have 50Hz - 230V).
>
> I trust I gave enough info to be helped.
>
> Regards,
>
> Deon

bar

If you are going into the shop to buy a new PSU, then take along the system
unit.

Replace the PSU in the shop and turn it on. If the system doesn't start to
boot up, investigate your problems further with the asistance of the friendly
service staff at the shop.

This could save you a lot of running back and forward, and frustration.

"V Green" wrote:

> Take the cover off and look for any lit LED's
> on the motherboard. Most MB's have one or two...
> if they're lit, at least some part of the PSU is still
> working.
>
> Power supplies are cheap anyway, it's probably just as
> easy to go get one and try it...
>
> "Deon" <REMOVEdeon@REMOVEsincro.co.za> wrote in message
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I think my PC's power supply just packed up. How can I test if this is the
> > case?
> >
> > My pc worked and the next moment just went dead. I have a multi tester to
> > test some wires.
> > I already tested the Power Supply's outlet, the one that normally goes to
> > the monitor, and that's fine (we have 50Hz - 230V).
> >
> > I trust I gave enough info to be helped.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Deon

Deon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Shaun,

thanx for the bad news. I just had a little hope it's fixable.

Thanx again!

Regards,

Deon

"Shaun" <snoggle@myvine.com> wrote in

> If nothing turns on, no fan on the supply then get a new supply.
> "Deon" <REMOVEdeon@REMOVEsincro.co.za> wrote in message
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I think my PC's power supply just packed up. How can I test if this
>> is the case?
>>
>> My pc worked and the next moment just went dead. I have a multi
>> tester to test some wires.
>> I already tested the Power Supply's outlet, the one that normally
>> goes to the monitor, and that's fine (we have 50Hz - 230V).
>>
>> I trust I gave enough info to be helped.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Deon

Anything electronic is fixable. It's just that the repairs may not be cost
effective. You need test equipment, knowledge, spare parts, time and a
schematic would sure be helpful!

Balance that against a new power supply that may cost $50.00.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

> Shaun,
>
> thanx for the bad news. I just had a little hope it's fixable.
>
> Thanx again!
>
> Regards,
>
> Deon
>

> "Shaun" <snoggle@myvine.com> wrote in
>
>> If nothing turns on, no fan on the supply then get a new supply.
>> "Deon" <REMOVEdeon@REMOVEsincro.co.za> wrote in message
>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> I think my PC's power supply just packed up. How can I test if this
>>> is the case?
>>>
>>> My pc worked and the next moment just went dead. I have a multi
>>> tester to test some wires.
>>> I already tested the Power Supply's outlet, the one that normally
>>> goes to the monitor, and that's fine (we have 50Hz - 230V).
>>>
>>> I trust I gave enough info to be helped.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Deon

Deon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

=?Utf-8?B?QkFS?= <BAR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

> If you are going into the shop to buy a new PSU, then take along the
> system unit.
>
> Replace the PSU in the shop and turn it on. If the system doesn't
> start to boot up, investigate your problems further with the asistance
> of the friendly service staff at the shop.
>
> This could save you a lot of running back and forward, and
> frustration.
>
> "V Green" wrote:
>
>> Take the cover off and look for any lit LED's
>> on the motherboard. Most MB's have one or two...
>> if they're lit, at least some part of the PSU is still
>> working.
>>
>> Power supplies are cheap anyway, it's probably just as
>> easy to go get one and try it...
>>
>> "Deon" <REMOVEdeon@REMOVEsincro.co.za> wrote in message
>> > Hi there,
>> >
>> > I think my PC's power supply just packed up. How can I test if this
>> > is the case?
>> >
>> > My pc worked and the next moment just went dead. I have a multi
>> > tester to test some wires.
>> > I already tested the Power Supply's outlet, the one that normally
>> > goes to the monitor, and that's fine (we have 50Hz - 230V).
>> >
>> > I trust I gave enough info to be helped.
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> >
>> > Deon

Thanx guys,
you all gave excellent advice and I will surely follow your advice.

Regards,

Deon

Deon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

=?Utf-8?B?QkFS?= <BAR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

> If you are going into the shop to buy a new PSU, then take along the
> system unit.
>
> Replace the PSU in the shop and turn it on. If the system doesn't
> start to boot up, investigate your problems further with the asistance
> of the friendly service staff at the shop.
>
> This could save you a lot of running back and forward, and
> frustration.
>
> "V Green" wrote:
>
>> Take the cover off and look for any lit LED's
>> on the motherboard. Most MB's have one or two...
>> if they're lit, at least some part of the PSU is still
>> working.
>>
>> Power supplies are cheap anyway, it's probably just as
>> easy to go get one and try it...
>>
>> "Deon" <REMOVEdeon@REMOVEsincro.co.za> wrote in message
>> > Hi there,
>> >
>> > I think my PC's power supply just packed up. How can I test if this
>> > is the case?
>> >
>> > My pc worked and the next moment just went dead. I have a multi
>> > tester to test some wires.
>> > I already tested the Power Supply's outlet, the one that normally
>> > goes to the monitor, and that's fine (we have 50Hz - 230V).
>> >
>> > I trust I gave enough info to be helped.
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> >
>> > Deon

Thanx for excellent help. I replaced the power supply and we are back on
air.

--
Regards,

Deon H