k8n neo4 platinum sli shutdown problems ?

I have the k8n neo4 platinum sli motherboard , and athlon 64 4000 san
diego core, i have tried every bios that msi has to offer, and
reloaded windows xp several times, and cant get my computer to
shutdown. When i shutdown windows it just hangs or the screen goes
black, but my computer stays runining , is anybody else having this
problem ?.

:roll: :?: mike

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/MSI-Microstar-k8n-neo4-platinum-sli-shutdown-problems-ftopict60018.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=303369

WKS-Leprechaun

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2005
I have a simular problem....but i have the neo4 platinum.....not sli.
64bit 3800
2gig of ram
WD raptors...etc
I have had mine for a while and when I first got it back in March 2005 everything went very well. Installed XP pro and ran until about july without any major problems.

I don't turn off my computer very offten...about the only time I do is when i have installed new software or drivers....etc

Then I started to notice that when I would want to reboot or turn off the computer, windows would get to the point were it says logging off, but just hangs.

Since I don't do that very often would just hit the softrest and then go about my business, when then I curupted my boot sector doing that...so I had to re-install xp:sp2 pro.... now this is the same disk i had used a few months before...but the install when fine until it would get to the point were it wanted to reboot the computer. If facted in installed windows in a couple day period over 6 times trinig to fix this problem. I tried a xp:sp1 pro disk, other friends disk...etc, all had the same problem. But I had other software like Partion Commander 8.0, BartPE, etc and when I would boot into those tools and tell it to turn off the computer or restart it, the system would have no problem doing it. So I conclued that it was a windows issue.

Since the only thing that had changed since the install was the version of bois I figure that might be the culprit( 1.9)....but I did manage to find a work around...after you get windows installed.

edit the registor in xp...only should be done by someone who know what there doing!!!! and set the shutdown wait time from 20seconds to 10. After that it never hung again while shutting down. Well until i had to reinstall xp...which is today.

I see that theres a new version of bois out... 1.B, so I will probley give that a try when my windows is done installing.

I don't know if this will help you, but maybe it will help you narrow down the issue. I would give you a like to the exact path to the reg key, but that info was on my other computer, but just google it, that what I did.

chuckg

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2005
The same thing happened to me. I have a neo platinum 4 sli board and a amd 4200 x2 processor.

How I fixed the problem was that I had a unrelated problem that needed to have the cmos reset. After I reset the cmos the computer was able to shutdown and turn off when I hit the shutdown button on windows. If it does not fix it the first time try it again.