video card

I have a computer that has the video card with the motherboard and have
come across a couple of games my kids cannot play. I am wondering if I
can install a different video card. If so what steps do I have to take
to do this.

Thanks
Kathy

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

You can buy a separate video card and plug it into the motherboard. You will
also have to go into the BIOS and turn off the motherboard's onboard video -
instructions on how to do that should be in the manual you got with the
system.

First, though, you should review the particulars on your motherboard to
verify the speed and type of video card it will support: AGP or PCI, and
then AGP 2x, 4x or 8x (if necessary).

"Kathy" <kmodahl@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>I have a computer that has the video card with the motherboard and have
>come across a couple of games my kids cannot play. I am wondering if I can
>install a different video card. If so what steps do I have to take to do
>this.
>
> Thanks
> Kathy

bar

You should fist read the mobo maunaul and identify if it has an AGP adapter
into which an external Display ADapter can be inserted.

If so then also check the 'speed' 4X or 8X. This will assist in your
product selection.

You can then choose an 8X AGP card with 128Mb or more of memeory, depending
upon the type of game.

An AGP card can cost as much as a mobo and CPU together!

"Jerry" wrote:

> You can buy a separate video card and plug it into the motherboard. You will
> also have to go into the BIOS and turn off the motherboard's onboard video -
> instructions on how to do that should be in the manual you got with the
> system.
>
> First, though, you should review the particulars on your motherboard to
> verify the speed and type of video card it will support: AGP or PCI, and
> then AGP 2x, 4x or 8x (if necessary).
>
> "Kathy" <kmodahl@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> >I have a computer that has the video card with the motherboard and have
> >come across a couple of games my kids cannot play. I am wondering if I can
> >install a different video card. If so what steps do I have to take to do
> >this.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Kathy

br549

Kathy, make sure you know what the reason is that the games cannot play.
Could they be older dos based games that XP just can't handle or do the
games really need a bigger and better video card. Not knowing what the
games are doesn't help anyone here help you. I've seen some games that just
don't work with XP and never will.

"Kathy" <kmodahl@shaw.ca> wrote in message
I have a computer that has the video card with the motherboard and have
come across a couple of games my kids cannot play. I am wondering if I
can install a different video card. If so what steps do I have to take
to do this.

Thanks
Kathy

xfile

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2004

Hi,

Just for your reference,

(1) Are there any error messages (or symptoms) for why those games cannot be
played? If so, posted here and I am sure many others would provided more
detailed solutions.

(2) Read the system requirements of those games (usually listed on the box
or in the user's manual) and see if your current system meets those
requirements. Again, post here if you have anything in doubt.

It may or may not be video card related problems.

Hope this helps.

"Kathy" <kmodahl@shaw.ca> ???????:zTl%d.743207$8l.577671@pd7tw1no...
>I have a computer that has the video card with the motherboard and have
>come across a couple of games my kids cannot play. I am wondering if I can
>install a different video card. If so what steps do I have to take to do
>this.
>
> Thanks
> Kathy

Custom built computer with AMD 64 bit CPU and GeForce 6800 Ultra is good
option. US$1000 or less.

--
Jonah

xfile wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just for your reference,
>
> (1) Are there any error messages (or symptoms) for why those games cannot be
> played? If so, posted here and I am sure many others would provided more
> detailed solutions.
>
> (2) Read the system requirements of those games (usually listed on the box
> or in the user's manual) and see if your current system meets those
> requirements. Again, post here if you have anything in doubt.
>
> It may or may not be video card related problems.
>
> Hope this helps.
>

> "Kathy" <kmodahl@shaw.ca> ???????:zTl%d.743207$8l.577671@pd7tw1no...
>
>>I have a computer that has the video card with the motherboard and have
>>come across a couple of games my kids cannot play. I am wondering if I can
>>install a different video card. If so what steps do I have to take to do
>>this.
>>
>>Thanks
>>Kathy

Hi,
Thanks all for the help, it got me pointed in the right direction. The
game had some error that said it wouldn't work with the video card
installed.

After checking manual, I made the change in the bios to AGP Video,
disabled the drivers and put in the new card. The only thing I am not
sure of is the speed.Everything seems to be working, the games now run
and the computer seems fine. Is there anything else I should watch for?

It was a card from another computer that burned out the motherboard.

Again, thanks for the help.

Kathy

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

The Belarc Advisor www.belarc.com and/or Everest Home Edition
www.lavalys.com can be downloaded and run on your system. Either will give
you info you can peruse and then determine if things are ok.