Dead USB Ports in XP Pro SP2

I have a new IBM ThinkPad T42p with two built-in USB 2.0 ports. The system
came with XP Pro SP1 installed and the ports did work. After going to the
microsoft web site and installing all of the patches and updates to include
SP2 the ports no longer work – the devices still work on other systems just
not the new laptop. IBM will simply reload the SP1 image onto the hard drive
and I cannot find any data on the Microsoft web site that will help to
resolve the problem or identify which patch to remove. I have already gone
into Device Manager and uninstalled all of the USB devices and ten had the
system reinstall all of the devices (controllers and hubs) but the mouse and
flash drive are still ignored even though I can tell both are getting power
(lights on devices).

Any ideas – thanks in advance…. norm

bar

Common problem with some hardware and SP2.

Can IBM identify the specific SP2 'fix' that affects USB on their hardware?

"nhoward" wrote:

> I have a new IBM ThinkPad T42p with two built-in USB 2.0 ports. The system
> came with XP Pro SP1 installed and the ports did work. After going to the
> microsoft web site and installing all of the patches and updates to include
> SP2 the ports no longer work – the devices still work on other systems just
> not the new laptop. IBM will simply reload the SP1 image onto the hard drive
> and I cannot find any data on the Microsoft web site that will help to
> resolve the problem or identify which patch to remove. I have already gone
> into Device Manager and uninstalled all of the USB devices and ten had the
> system reinstall all of the devices (controllers and hubs) but the mouse and
> flash drive are still ignored even though I can tell both are getting power
> (lights on devices).
>
> Any ideas – thanks in advance…. norm

So to nhoward and Joe G, how is it MS's fault the manufacturer of your
hardware, whether it be IBM or fly-by-night special, did not release updated
drivers for the SP2 update - remember, MS does not write device - aka
hardware drivers (except their own hardware), the hardware manufacturer's
do - so they are the ones to complain to, and if they be out-of-business
well you are outta luck.
Now MS as a courtesy will include device drivers with their release,
provided they are a common device, using industry standard approved
methods - i.e. ISO, and have met WHQL certification in time to make the RTM
(release to manufacture) for the Windows release or Service Pack.

--
Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service!
"Google is your Friend!"

"nhoward" <nhoward@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a new IBM ThinkPad T42p with two built-in USB 2.0 ports. The
system
> came with XP Pro SP1 installed and the ports did work. After going to the
> microsoft web site and installing all of the patches and updates to
include
> SP2 the ports no longer work - the devices still work on other systems
just
> not the new laptop. IBM will simply reload the SP1 image onto the hard
drive
> and I cannot find any data on the Microsoft web site that will help to
> resolve the problem or identify which patch to remove. I have already
gone
> into Device Manager and uninstalled all of the USB devices and ten had the
> system reinstall all of the devices (controllers and hubs) but the mouse
and
> flash drive are still ignored even though I can tell both are getting
power
> (lights on devices).
>
> Any ideas - thanks in advance.. norm

I have had a similar problem to you for some time but on a desktop.
USB ports used to work but now they don't. Device Manager shows
a yellow exclamation mark against all USB ports and hubs with the
message
"The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)
To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver."

No amount of re-installing corrects the problem.
I've revved back to SP1 without resolution.

I hope someone comes up with a solution.

Joe