DVD RW Doesn't recognize CDs

Sony DRU 710A, about a month old.
Athlon 64, XP Home with SP2. Nero with all updates.
This recorder recognizes and plays DVDs OK, but will not recognize any CDs.
Shows "No disk" in Nero info tool, regardless of Brand of media, CD not
recognized in My Computer.
Any ideas?

Flashed the firmware, reinstalled the drive, still no joy. DVDs are OK, but
CDs still not recognized.
I think I have all the latest drivers.
Wrote a note to Sony tech support.
Thanks for the input.

"Hugh" wrote:

> Sony DRU 710A, about a month old.
> Athlon 64, XP Home with SP2. Nero with all updates.
> This recorder recognizes and plays DVDs OK, but will not recognize any CDs.
> Shows "No disk" in Nero info tool, regardless of Brand of media, CD not
> recognized in My Computer.
> Any ideas?

Download new firmware for the drive from Sony.
If installing the firmware does not fix the drive, use
Device manager to remove the drive and then reinstall the
drive, which should install the correct drivers for the
drive. You should update the latest XP drivers also.

"Hugh" <Hugh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Sony DRU 710A, about a month old.
| Athlon 64, XP Home with SP2. Nero with all updates.
| This recorder recognizes and plays DVDs OK, but will not
recognize any CDs.
| Shows "No disk" in Nero info tool, regardless of Brand of
media, CD not
| recognized in My Computer.
| Any ideas?

The drive may be defective and needs to be replaced. I
think that the drive uses a different laser to read DVD or
CD, the CD laser may be damaged. I'd inquire about the
warranty.

| Flashed the firmware, reinstalled the drive, still no joy.
DVDs are OK, but
| CDs still not recognized.
| I think I have all the latest drivers.
| Wrote a note to Sony tech support.
| Thanks for the input.
|
| "Hugh" wrote:
|
| > Sony DRU 710A, about a month old.
| > Athlon 64, XP Home with SP2. Nero with all updates.
| > This recorder recognizes and plays DVDs OK, but will not
recognize any CDs.
| > Shows "No disk" in Nero info tool, regardless of Brand
of media, CD not
| > recognized in My Computer.
| > Any ideas?

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

You are correct, DVD/CD-RW combo burners use different lasers.

> The drive may be defective and needs to be replaced. I
> think that the drive uses a different laser to read DVD or
> CD, the CD laser may be damaged. I'd inquire about the
> warranty.

> "Hugh" <Hugh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | Flashed the firmware, reinstalled the drive, still no joy.
> DVDs are OK, but
> | CDs still not recognized.
> | I think I have all the latest drivers.
> | Wrote a note to Sony tech support.
> | Thanks for the input.
> |
> | "Hugh" wrote:
> |
> | > Sony DRU 710A, about a month old.
> | > Athlon 64, XP Home with SP2. Nero with all updates.
> | > This recorder recognizes and plays DVDs OK, but will not
> recognize any CDs.
> | > Shows "No disk" in Nero info tool, regardless of Brand
> of media, CD not
> | > recognized in My Computer.
> | > Any ideas?

I called Sony Tech support on this issue. Ran their drive check tool, which
wouldn't read the CD either. They gave me an RMA.
Thanks for the help.