usb 2.0 problem

Hi,
On connecting a usb 2.0 device I get the message that a hi-speed device is
connected to non hi-speed port; clicking on the message, it lists the
available hi-speed ports.
I have a dell 8500 with 2 usb 2.0 ports running win xp pro (+sp2). The
device manager lists the intel 82801DB/DBM usb 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller -
24CD. I tried uninstalling the Enhanced and Universal Host controllers and
rebooting, it did not help.
Any suggestions?

Thx
4 answers Last reply
More about problem

    Contact Dell or visit their support forum.

    This is not a software issue concerning XP, but a hardware issue requiring
    assistance from Dell.

    "digrexion" wrote:

    > Hi,
    > On connecting a usb 2.0 device I get the message that a hi-speed device is
    > connected to non hi-speed port; clicking on the message, it lists the
    > available hi-speed ports.
    > I have a dell 8500 with 2 usb 2.0 ports running win xp pro (+sp2). The
    > device manager lists the intel 82801DB/DBM usb 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller -
    > 24CD. I tried uninstalling the Enhanced and Universal Host controllers and
    > rebooting, it did not help.
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Thx

    Hi,
    No luck with Dell, over 2 hours on the phone and no soultion; no apparent
    hardware failure in the diagnostic tests. Updated the dell notebook system
    software, but that did not resolve the issue.
    Any other suggestions?

    Thx.

    "BAR" wrote:

    > Contact Dell or visit their support forum.
    >
    > This is not a software issue concerning XP, but a hardware issue requiring
    > assistance from Dell.
    >
    > "digrexion" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > > On connecting a usb 2.0 device I get the message that a hi-speed device is
    > > connected to non hi-speed port; clicking on the message, it lists the
    > > available hi-speed ports.
    > > I have a dell 8500 with 2 usb 2.0 ports running win xp pro (+sp2). The
    > > device manager lists the intel 82801DB/DBM usb 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller -
    > > 24CD. I tried uninstalling the Enhanced and Universal Host controllers and
    > > rebooting, it did not help.
    > > Any suggestions?
    > >
    > > Thx

    Seen this before but on other hardware than Dells. You may have a USB
    driver problem and you will need to remove all USB ports/root hub/hubs etc.
    for the Device Mananger. After a reboot, XP should correctly re-detect the
    USB cards and give you USB2.0 correctly.

    "digrexion" <digrexion@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > No luck with Dell, over 2 hours on the phone and no soultion; no apparent
    > hardware failure in the diagnostic tests. Updated the dell notebook
    > system
    > software, but that did not resolve the issue.
    > Any other suggestions?
    >
    > Thx.
    >
    > "BAR" wrote:
    >
    >> Contact Dell or visit their support forum.
    >>
    >> This is not a software issue concerning XP, but a hardware issue
    >> requiring
    >> assistance from Dell.
    >>
    >> "digrexion" wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hi,
    >> > On connecting a usb 2.0 device I get the message that a hi-speed
    >> > device is
    >> > connected to non hi-speed port; clicking on the message, it lists the
    >> > available hi-speed ports.
    >> > I have a dell 8500 with 2 usb 2.0 ports running win xp pro (+sp2).
    >> > The
    >> > device manager lists the intel 82801DB/DBM usb 2.0 Enhanced Host
    >> > Controller -
    >> > 24CD. I tried uninstalling the Enhanced and Universal Host controllers
    >> > and
    >> > rebooting, it did not help.
    >> > Any suggestions?
    >> >
    >> > Thx

    Hi,
    I have tried removing all USB ports/root hubs and rebooting .. that did
    not help ... also updated my intel chipset drivers ... that did not work too.

    Thx.

    "Yves Leclerc" wrote:

    > Seen this before but on other hardware than Dells. You may have a USB
    > driver problem and you will need to remove all USB ports/root hub/hubs etc.
    > for the Device Mananger. After a reboot, XP should correctly re-detect the
    > USB cards and give you USB2.0 correctly.
    >

    > "digrexion" <digrexion@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > > No luck with Dell, over 2 hours on the phone and no soultion; no apparent
    > > hardware failure in the diagnostic tests. Updated the dell notebook
    > > system
    > > software, but that did not resolve the issue.
    > > Any other suggestions?
    > >
    > > Thx.
    > >
    > > "BAR" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Contact Dell or visit their support forum.
    > >>
    > >> This is not a software issue concerning XP, but a hardware issue
    > >> requiring
    > >> assistance from Dell.

USB Devices Windows XP