slow network speed

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
March 27, 2005 4:19:04 PM

I'm using wireless networking with 11MBps

-its connected at 11MBps
-but it only uses 1% of 11MBps

how do I make it faster? Thanks

More about : slow network speed

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 28, 2005 3:00:11 PM

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 12:19:04 -0800, "piggy"
<piggy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote :

>I'm using wireless networking with 11MBps
>
>-its connected at 11MBps
>-but it only uses 1% of 11MBps
>
>how do I make it faster? Thanks

Get a faster connection to your ISP.
Its capacity might be 11MBps but it can only transmit what it receives
as input - and I doubt your ISP connection is 11MBps - more like
512KBps or perhaps 1M. It should use closer to it's maximum when
transmitting data between computers connected to your network.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 28, 2005 3:00:12 PM

I apologize, I should have been more clear

This when i transfer files on an internal network.

I'm trying to stream a dvd from a computer in the basement to my notebook.
My max speed is 320kb/s

I even went out and bought a microsoft wireless g router+card 54MBps.

Same problem.

Any advice?

"Peter Wilkins" wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 12:19:04 -0800, "piggy"
> <piggy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote :
>
> >I'm using wireless networking with 11MBps
> >
> >-its connected at 11MBps
> >-but it only uses 1% of 11MBps
> >
> >how do I make it faster? Thanks
>
> Get a faster connection to your ISP.
> Its capacity might be 11MBps but it can only transmit what it receives
> as input - and I doubt your ISP connection is 11MBps - more like
> 512KBps or perhaps 1M. It should use closer to it's maximum when
> transmitting data between computers connected to your network.

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 28, 2005 3:00:12 PM

Hi

When the Wireless source and the Wireless client are one feet apart a
54Mb/sec. connection should yield a functional transfer of 18-22Mb/sec.
(b=bit) which is a file transfer of about 2.5MB/sec. B=Byte).

Once the client is in another location it depends on the envioroment
(Distance, and or Electrical Noise).

You might need to extend the coverage, or Bridge a connection.

May be this can Help.

Wireless Bridging: http://www.ezlan.net/bridging1.html

Jack (MVP-Networking).

!