Toshiba is selling bad laptops

a b D Laptop
March 21, 2005 10:03:37 PM

hey, does anybody knows about Toshiba A75 model?
I just bought one and started rebooting itself and freezeing at random
times. BestBuy return policy only covers 14 days. Toshiba send customers to
repairing centers, to repair new computers! There is a class action suite
here:
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6142-0.html?forumID=69&thr...

I dont know what to do other than join them!

Regards,
Alejandro Penate-Diaz.
MCP
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 21, 2005 10:03:38 PM

If Toshiba is fixing them, what is your problem?

"Alejandro Penate-Diaz" <alexware69@hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:eSk3ZKnLFHA.688@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
| hey, does anybody knows about Toshiba A75 model?
| I just bought one and started rebooting itself and
freezeing at random
| times. BestBuy return policy only covers 14 days. Toshiba
send customers to
| repairing centers, to repair new computers! There is a
class action suite
| here:

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6142-0.html?forumID=69&thr...

| I dont know what to do other than join them!
|
| Regards,
| Alejandro Penate-Diaz.
| MCP

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 21, 2005 10:22:03 PM

and you know for sure that Toshiba is fixing them?

> If Toshiba is fixing them, what is your problem?

> "Alejandro Penate-Diaz" <alexware69@hotmail.com> wrote in
> message news:eSk3ZKnLFHA.688@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> | hey, does anybody knows about Toshiba A75 model?
> | I just bought one and started rebooting itself and
> freezeing at random
> | times. BestBuy return policy only covers 14 days. Toshiba
> send customers to
> | repairing centers, to repair new computers! There is a
> class action suite
> | here:
> |
> http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6142-0.html?forumID=69&thr...
> |
> | I dont know what to do other than join them!
> |
> | Regards,
> | Alejandro Penate-Diaz.
> | MCP

a b D Laptop
March 21, 2005 10:22:04 PM

just read what you said.

"Alejandro Penate-Diaz" <alexware69@hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:uKJRtUnLFHA.3960@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
| and you know for sure that Toshiba is fixing them?

in message
| > If Toshiba is fixing them, what is your problem?
| >

| > --
| >

| > "Alejandro Penate-Diaz" <alexware69@hotmail.com> wrote
in
| > message news:eSk3ZKnLFHA.688@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
| > | hey, does anybody knows about Toshiba A75 model?
| > | I just bought one and started rebooting itself and
| > freezeing at random
| > | times. BestBuy return policy only covers 14 days.
Toshiba
| > send customers to
| > | repairing centers, to repair new computers! There is a
| > class action suite
| > | here:
| > |

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6142-0.html?forumID=69&thr...
| > |
| > | I dont know what to do other than join them!
| > |
| > | Regards,
| > | Alejandro Penate-Diaz.
| > | MCP
| > |
| > |

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 21, 2005 10:41:39 PM

In article <eSk3ZKnLFHA.688@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>,
Alejandro Penate-Diaz <alexware69@hotmail.com> wrote:
>hey, does anybody knows about Toshiba A75 model?
>I just bought one and started rebooting itself and freezeing at random
>times. BestBuy return policy only covers 14 days. Toshiba send customers to
>repairing centers, to repair new computers! There is a class action suite
>here:
>http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6142-0.html?forumID=69&thr...
>
>I dont know what to do other than join them!
>
>Regards,
>Alejandro Penate-Diaz.
>MCP

The Authorized Toshiba repair centers I've done business with have
been great. (I managed several hundred Toshiba laptops out of NYC for
a couple years our Sales people were real rough on the equipment.)

If it's dead what do you have to lose? Find one on the Toshiba web
site and bring it in. How many years is it goint to take for that
court case to work out ?

You've got a year Toshiba warranty on that machine. get your money's
worth.

(You don't work for a class action lawyer by any chance, do you ?)

--

a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 21, 2005 10:42:20 PM

In article <uKJRtUnLFHA.3960@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>,
Alejandro Penate-Diaz <alexware69@hotmail.com> wrote:
>and you know for sure that Toshiba is fixing them?
>
>"Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote in message
>> If Toshiba is fixing them, what is your problem?

And why shouldn't the be ?

--

a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 21, 2005 10:52:25 PM

are you a toshiba employee??

news:D 1npk3$50q$1@panix5.panix.com...
> In article <eSk3ZKnLFHA.688@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>,
> Alejandro Penate-Diaz <alexware69@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>hey, does anybody knows about Toshiba A75 model?
>>I just bought one and started rebooting itself and freezeing at random
>>times. BestBuy return policy only covers 14 days. Toshiba send customers
>>repairing centers, to repair new computers! There is a class action suite
>>here:
>>http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6142-0.html?forumID=69&thr...
>>
>>I dont know what to do other than join them!
>>
>>Regards,
>>Alejandro Penate-Diaz.
>>MCP
>>

> The Authorized Toshiba repair centers I've done business with have
> been great. (I managed several hundred Toshiba laptops out of NYC for
> a couple years our Sales people were real rough on the equipment.)
>
> If it's dead what do you have to lose? Find one on the Toshiba web
> site and bring it in. How many years is it goint to take for that
> court case to work out ?
>
> You've got a year Toshiba warranty on that machine. get your money's
> worth.
>
> (You don't work for a class action lawyer by any chance, do you ?)
>

> --
>
> a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m
>
> Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 21, 2005 11:38:17 PM

Yes... they ae fixing them. The problem has existed since last year. Long
discussions at www.notebookforums.com It's a static problem. Mine doesn't
freeze... it just reboots.

And yes I also have an A75.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"Alejandro Penate-Diaz" <alexware69@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> and you know for sure that Toshiba is fixing them?

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 22, 2005 12:14:03 AM

Alejandro

Some people are calling the Customer Service and getting a degree of
satisfaction.. the machines seem to have several problems that could all be
stemming from the 'static' problem..

Toshiba service centres are replacing the speaker grilles with a material
less likely to cause this issue.. I also understand that some users are
experimenting with electrical insulation tape.. not a good situation
really..

Harass Customer Service by PHONE.. e-mail will do no good.. and in the
meantime, take it to your nearest Toshiba Service Center..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Alejandro Penate-Diaz" <alexware69@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> hey, does anybody knows about Toshiba A75 model?
> I just bought one and started rebooting itself and freezeing at random
> times. BestBuy return policy only covers 14 days. Toshiba send customers
> to repairing centers, to repair new computers! There is a class action
> suite here:
> http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6142-0.html?forumID=69&thr...
>
> I dont know what to do other than join them!
>
> Regards,
> Alejandro Penate-Diaz.
> MCP

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 22, 2005 12:26:31 AM

I already "harrassed?" them by phone, they sent me to an ASP (Authorized
Service Provider). I called the nearest ASP and the told me that they cannot
guarantee that my laptop will work 100% OK after they try to fix it!!!!
That's inadmissible. Also my laptop doenst have "static" problems, I have
charged myself and then touched the speakers and nothing happens. Also my
laptop doesnt overheat, it is cool to the touch. extra dust in the cpu fan
is not possible, since I bought it 20 days ago. So I think the are hidding
the real problem. Also I dont want to repair a NEW and EXPENSIVE computer
with les than a month of use, experiencing a well KNOWN problem. I am
poor,Toshiba is rich, so is their problem.

news:o $dpqToLFHA.4084@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Alejandro
>
> Some people are calling the Customer Service and getting a degree of
> satisfaction.. the machines seem to have several problems that could all
> be stemming from the 'static' problem..
>
> Toshiba service centres are replacing the speaker grilles with a material
> less likely to cause this issue.. I also understand that some users are
> experimenting with electrical insulation tape.. not a good situation
> really..
>
> Harass Customer Service by PHONE.. e-mail will do no good.. and in the
> meantime, take it to your nearest Toshiba Service Center..
>
> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "Alejandro Penate-Diaz" <alexware69@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> hey, does anybody knows about Toshiba A75 model?
>> I just bought one and started rebooting itself and freezeing at random
>> times. BestBuy return policy only covers 14 days. Toshiba send customers
>> to repairing centers, to repair new computers! There is a class action
>> suite here:
>> http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6142-0.html?forumID=69&thr...
>>
>> I dont know what to do other than join them!
>>
>> Regards,
>> Alejandro Penate-Diaz.
>> MCP

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 22, 2005 12:26:32 AM

>I already "harrassed?" them by phone, they sent me to an ASP
>(Authorized Service Provider). I called the nearest ASP and the told me
>that they cannot guarantee that my laptop will work 100% OK after they
>try to fix it!!!! That's inadmissible. Also my laptop doenst have
>"static" problems, I have charged myself and then touched the speakers
>and nothing happens. Also my laptop doesnt overheat, it is cool to the
>touch. extra dust in the cpu fan is not possible, since I bought it 20
>days ago. So I think the are hidding the real problem. Also I dont want
>to repair a NEW and EXPENSIVE computer with les than a month of use,
>experiencing a well KNOWN problem. I am poor,Toshiba is rich, so is
>their problem.

ESD susceptibility issues can cause hard failure later. Just because no
immediate failure is noticed, it does not mean that damage wasn't done.
There are ways to test this and most medical devices are required to go
through rigorous ESD testing. Many commercial manufactures also do this
testing to verify good product design. Many commercial manufacturers
don't do this ESD testing thus a problem can come after the product has
already been released to the general public.. Most people are clueless
when it comes to understanding ESD cause and affect. Your post is
indicates you are no exception..

Ben
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 22, 2005 12:54:57 AM

Alejandro

Presently, it is very much your problem.. your only option is to take it
in.. there is a chance that it may work out well for you.. in the meantime,
by all means join any action group..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Alejandro Penate-Diaz" <alexware69@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I already "harrassed?" them by phone, they sent me to an ASP (Authorized
>Service Provider). I called the nearest ASP and the told me that they
>cannot guarantee that my laptop will work 100% OK after they try to fix
>it!!!! That's inadmissible. Also my laptop doenst have "static" problems, I
>have charged myself and then touched the speakers and nothing happens. Also
>my laptop doesnt overheat, it is cool to the touch. extra dust in the cpu
>fan is not possible, since I bought it 20 days ago. So I think the are
>hidding the real problem. Also I dont want to repair a NEW and EXPENSIVE
>computer with les than a month of use, experiencing a well KNOWN problem. I
>am poor,Toshiba is rich, so is their problem.
>

> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> news:o $dpqToLFHA.4084@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> Alejandro
>>
>> Some people are calling the Customer Service and getting a degree of
>> satisfaction.. the machines seem to have several problems that could all
>> be stemming from the 'static' problem..
>>
>> Toshiba service centres are replacing the speaker grilles with a material
>> less likely to cause this issue.. I also understand that some users are
>> experimenting with electrical insulation tape.. not a good situation
>> really..
>>
>> Harass Customer Service by PHONE.. e-mail will do no good.. and in the
>> meantime, take it to your nearest Toshiba Service Center..
>>
>> --
>> Mike Hall
>> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>>
>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>

>> "Alejandro Penate-Diaz" <alexware69@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> hey, does anybody knows about Toshiba A75 model?
>>> I just bought one and started rebooting itself and freezeing at random
>>> times. BestBuy return policy only covers 14 days. Toshiba send customers
>>> to repairing centers, to repair new computers! There is a class action
>>> suite here:
>>> http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6142-0.html?forumID=69&thr...
>>>
>>> I dont know what to do other than join them!
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Alejandro Penate-Diaz.
>>> MCP

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 22, 2005 12:59:22 AM

if it is my problem how come are you giving opinions?

> Alejandro
>
> Presently, it is very much your problem.. your only option is to take it
> in.. there is a chance that it may work out well for you.. in the
> meantime, by all means join any action group..
>
> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "Alejandro Penate-Diaz" <alexware69@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I already "harrassed?" them by phone, they sent me to an ASP (Authorized
>>Service Provider). I called the nearest ASP and the told me that they
>>cannot guarantee that my laptop will work 100% OK after they try to fix
>>it!!!! That's inadmissible. Also my laptop doenst have "static" problems,
>>I have charged myself and then touched the speakers and nothing happens.
>>Also my laptop doesnt overheat, it is cool to the touch. extra dust in the
>>cpu fan is not possible, since I bought it 20 days ago. So I think the are
>>hidding the real problem. Also I dont want to repair a NEW and EXPENSIVE
>>computer with les than a month of use, experiencing a well KNOWN problem.
>>I am poor,Toshiba is rich, so is their problem.
>>

>> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> news:o $dpqToLFHA.4084@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>>> Alejandro
>>>
>>> Some people are calling the Customer Service and getting a degree of
>>> satisfaction.. the machines seem to have several problems that could all
>>> be stemming from the 'static' problem..
>>>
>>> Toshiba service centres are replacing the speaker grilles with a
>>> material less likely to cause this issue.. I also understand that some
>>> users are experimenting with electrical insulation tape.. not a good
>>> situation really..
>>>
>>> Harass Customer Service by PHONE.. e-mail will do no good.. and in the
>>> meantime, take it to your nearest Toshiba Service Center..
>>>
>>> --
>>> Mike Hall
>>> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>>>
>>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>>

>>> "Alejandro Penate-Diaz" <alexware69@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 22, 2005 12:59:23 AM

Because YOU asked.

"Alejandro Penate-Diaz" <alexware69@hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:%23dfbnsoLFHA.3512@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...

wrote in message
| >> news:o $dpqToLFHA.4084@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

getting a degree of
problems that could all

grilles with a
understand that some
tape.. not a good

good.. and in the
Center..

freezeing at random
Toshiba send
computers! There is a

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6142-0.html?forumID=69&thr...

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 22, 2005 1:22:59 AM

if you please could bring some light so we can understand better about ESD.
My laptop usually restarts by itself when using the DVD/CD drive for more
than 30 minutes, for example when I am doing a backup of the hard drive or
doing a system restore from the DVD that came with the laptop. It alse
restarts by itself at random times when iddle. Restarts, freezes, blue
screens with a STOP: 0x0000009C Machine_Check_Exception. those are my
simptoms. Could that be a result of ESD?

Thanks,
Alejandro.

"Ben Hogland" <benhogland@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Alejandro Penate-Diaz" <alexware69@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I already "harrassed?" them by phone, they sent me to an ASP (Authorized
>>Service Provider). I called the nearest ASP and the told me that they
>>cannot guarantee that my laptop will work 100% OK after they try to fix
>>it!!!! That's inadmissible. Also my laptop doenst have "static" problems,
>>I have charged myself and then touched the speakers and nothing happens.
>>Also my laptop doesnt overheat, it is cool to the touch. extra dust in the
>>cpu fan is not possible, since I bought it 20 days ago. So I think the are
>>hidding the real problem. Also I dont want to repair a NEW and EXPENSIVE
>>computer with les than a month of use, experiencing a well KNOWN problem.
>>I am poor,Toshiba is rich, so is their problem.
>
> ESD susceptibility issues can cause hard failure later. Just because no
> immediate failure is noticed, it does not mean that damage wasn't done.
> There are ways to test this and most medical devices are required to go
> through rigorous ESD testing. Many commercial manufactures also do this
> testing to verify good product design. Many commercial manufacturers don't
> do this ESD testing thus a problem can come after the product has already
> been released to the general public.. Most people are clueless when it
> comes to understanding ESD cause and affect. Your post is indicates you
> are no exception..
>
> Ben

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 22, 2005 1:23:00 AM

> if you please could bring some light so we can understand better about
> ESD.
> My laptop usually restarts by itself when using the DVD/CD drive for
> more than 30 minutes, for example when I am doing a backup of the hard
> drive or doing a system restore from the DVD that came with the
> laptop. It alse restarts by itself at random times when iddle.
> Restarts, freezes, blue screens with a STOP: 0x0000009C
> Machine_Check_Exception. those are my simptoms. Could that be a result
> of ESD?
>
> Thanks,
> Alejandro.

Yes, of course it's possible. For more info about ESD go here:
http://www.esda.org/basics/part1.cfm and here:
http://www.esdjournal.com/

Ben
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 22, 2005 1:25:20 AM

sorry I didnt say your name, I asked to somebody who can help, not to
somebody that says the same things that Toshiba's customer service says.

> Because YOU asked.
>

> "Alejandro Penate-Diaz" <alexware69@hotmail.com> wrote in
> message news:%23dfbnsoLFHA.3512@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> | if it is my problem how come are you giving opinions?
> |
> | "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote
> in message
> | > Alejandro
> | >
> | > Presently, it is very much your problem.. your only
> option is to take it
> | > in.. there is a chance that it may work out well for
> you.. in the
> | > meantime, by all means join any action group..
> | >
> | > --
> | > Mike Hall
> | > MVP - Windows Shell/user
> | >
> | > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> | >

> | > "Alejandro Penate-Diaz" <alexware69@hotmail.com> wrote
> in message
> ASP (Authorized
> me that they
> they try to fix
> "static" problems,
> nothing happens.
> extra dust in the
> So I think the are
> NEW and EXPENSIVE
> well KNOWN problem.

> getting a degree of
> problems that could all

> grilles with a
> understand that some
> tape.. not a good

> good.. and in the
> Center..

> in message
> freezeing at random
> Toshiba send
> computers! There is a
> | >>>>
> http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6142-0.html?forumID=69&thr...

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 22, 2005 1:39:51 AM

Alejandro
¡Que tengas suerte! y tambien, Buenos noches

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Alejandro Penate-Diaz" <alexware69@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> if it is my problem how come are you giving opinions?
>
> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> Alejandro
>>
>> Presently, it is very much your problem.. your only option is to take it
>> in.. there is a chance that it may work out well for you.. in the
>> meantime, by all means join any action group..
>>
>> --
>> Mike Hall
>> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>>
>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>

>> "Alejandro Penate-Diaz" <alexware69@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>I already "harrassed?" them by phone, they sent me to an ASP (Authorized
>>>Service Provider). I called the nearest ASP and the told me that they
>>>cannot guarantee that my laptop will work 100% OK after they try to fix
>>>it!!!! That's inadmissible. Also my laptop doenst have "static" problems,
>>>I have charged myself and then touched the speakers and nothing happens.
>>>Also my laptop doesnt overheat, it is cool to the touch. extra dust in
>>>the cpu fan is not possible, since I bought it 20 days ago. So I think
>>>the are hidding the real problem. Also I dont want to repair a NEW and
>>>EXPENSIVE computer with les than a month of use, experiencing a well
>>>KNOWN problem. I am poor,Toshiba is rich, so is their problem.
>>>

>>> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>>> news:o $dpqToLFHA.4084@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 22, 2005 1:40:27 AM

Jim

There appears to be some cultural misunderstanding here.. in the interests
of World Peace, I will back out gracefully.. I have gotten to the point
where I really don't care if his Toshiba notebook works or doesn't.. if it
is a hardware issue with Toshiba, he shouldn't be posting here anyway..

I even looked through some of the forums to try to get a handle on what is
happening with the silly notebooks before I answered.. if he wants to sit on
his notebook, I am not about to stop him.. :)

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> Because YOU asked.
>

> "Alejandro Penate-Diaz" <alexware69@hotmail.com> wrote in
> message news:%23dfbnsoLFHA.3512@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> | if it is my problem how come are you giving opinions?
> |
> | "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote
> in message
> | > Alejandro
> | >
> | > Presently, it is very much your problem.. your only
> option is to take it
> | > in.. there is a chance that it may work out well for
> you.. in the
> | > meantime, by all means join any action group..
> | >
> | > --
> | > Mike Hall
> | > MVP - Windows Shell/user
> | >
> | > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> | >

> | > "Alejandro Penate-Diaz" <alexware69@hotmail.com> wrote
> in message
> ASP (Authorized
> me that they
> they try to fix
> "static" problems,
> nothing happens.
> extra dust in the
> So I think the are
> NEW and EXPENSIVE
> well KNOWN problem.

> getting a degree of
> problems that could all

> grilles with a
> understand that some
> tape.. not a good

> good.. and in the
> Center..

> in message
> freezeing at random
> Toshiba send
> computers! There is a
> | >>>>
> http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6142-0.html?forumID=69&thr...

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 22, 2005 1:49:24 AM

making reference to cultural diferences is no nice from you, I can see you
lack from objective arguments.

> Alejandro
> ¡Que tengas suerte! y tambien, Buenos noches
>

> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "Alejandro Penate-Diaz" <alexware69@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> if it is my problem how come are you giving opinions?
>>
>> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>>> Alejandro
>>>
>>> Presently, it is very much your problem.. your only option is to take it
>>> in.. there is a chance that it may work out well for you.. in the
>>> meantime, by all means join any action group..
>>>
>>> --
>>> Mike Hall
>>> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>>>
>>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>>

>>> "Alejandro Penate-Diaz" <alexware69@hotmail.com> wrote in message

March 22, 2005 2:09:14 AM

In news:u7xSI7oLFHA.2420@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Alejandro Penate-Diaz <alexware69@hotmail.com> had this to say:

> sorry I didnt say your name, I asked to somebody who can help, not to
> somebody that says the same things that Toshiba's customer service
> says.

First question:

What does this have to do with Windows or Microsoft?

Second question:

If they've given you a clearly designated answer and have a policy in place
then why not try it to see if it works?

Third question:

I own a number of Toshiba lappies though not that model. In fact, I'll ONLY
buy a Toshiba... Why? When they break (and any PC manufacturer will
eventually have problems) they've always fixed it without much hassle and
that means a lot to me. So, my question, if your car has a minor problem
(one that isn't going to kill you for instance) do you take it back to the
dealer or do you join a class action lawsuit?

Galen
a b D Laptop
March 22, 2005 2:13:55 AM

Alejandro

For your information.. I have lived in the UK, France, Spain, the US and
Canada.. in all of those countries, I have always gotten along with people
regardless of their race, creed or culture..

I am one of the most UNRACIST people you will ever know, but I know when to
back off somebody who is determined not to understand me.. I tried to help
you, and in the background, did quite a lot of research on your problem..
for that, you replied "if it is my problem how come are you giving
opinions?"

You appear to have a lack of understanding re the English language.. I will
admit that English is quite a sloppy language in its way.. so maybe you
should take your problem to a newsgroup where you can understand and be
better understood..

This is not malicious advice..I am sure that you would tell me the same if I
were to try to resolve my problems in your mother tongue..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Alejandro Penate-Diaz" <alexware69@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o X47kIpLFHA.2772@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> making reference to cultural diferences is no nice from you, I can see you
> lack from objective arguments.
>
> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> Alejandro
>> ¡Que tengas suerte! y tambien, Buenos noches
>>

>> --
>> Mike Hall
>> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>>
>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>

>> "Alejandro Penate-Diaz" <alexware69@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> if it is my problem how come are you giving opinions?
>>>
>>> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 22, 2005 2:35:51 AM

Thanks for the links!

> "Alejandro Penate-Diaz" <alexware69@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> if you please could bring some light so we can understand better about
>> ESD.
>> My laptop usually restarts by itself when using the DVD/CD drive for
>> more than 30 minutes, for example when I am doing a backup of the hard
>> drive or doing a system restore from the DVD that came with the laptop.
>> It alse restarts by itself at random times when iddle. Restarts, freezes,
>> blue screens with a STOP: 0x0000009C Machine_Check_Exception. those are
>> my simptoms. Could that be a result of ESD?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Alejandro.
>
> Yes, of course it's possible. For more info about ESD go here:
> http://www.esda.org/basics/part1.cfm and here: http://www.esdjournal.com/
>
> Ben

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 22, 2005 4:57:24 AM

This is a group effort, I saw your question and gave you the
answer to your question.

"Alejandro Penate-Diaz" <alexware69@hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:u7xSI7oLFHA.2420@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
| sorry I didnt say your name, I asked to somebody who can
help, not to
| somebody that says the same things that Toshiba's customer
service says.

in message
| > Because YOU asked.
| >

| > "Alejandro Penate-Diaz" <alexware69@hotmail.com> wrote
in
| > message news:%23dfbnsoLFHA.3512@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
| > | if it is my problem how come are you giving opinions?
| > |
| > | "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca>
wrote
| > in message

| > option is to take it
| > you.. in the

wrote
| > in message
to an
| > ASP (Authorized
told
| > me that they
after
| > they try to fix
have
| > "static" problems,
and
| > nothing happens.
touch.
| > extra dust in the
ago.
| > So I think the are
| > NEW and EXPENSIVE
| > well KNOWN problem.

| > getting a degree of
| > problems that could all

| > grilles with a
| > understand that some
| > tape.. not a good

no
| > good.. and in the
| > Center..

wrote
| > in message
and
| > freezeing at random
| > Toshiba send
| > computers! There is a

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6142-0.html?forumID=69&thr...

| > |
| > |

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 22, 2005 5:06:07 AM

Some people take a defective product personally. Other
people are unable to use any product since they fail to use
it properly. Some products are very unforgiving, such as
explosives, other products, bubble gum for example are
pretty straight forward, but used improperly can still kill.
Computers may be the most complex machines of the age, and
they do require nearly perfect design, manufacture and
operation.

As you said, Toshiba does have repair stations and new
products always entail a learning curve at all stages of
design, production and marketing. The user also needs to
RTFM and take some responsibility both before and after a
purchase.

"Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in
message news:uLr17DpLFHA.3340@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
| Jim
|
| There appears to be some cultural misunderstanding here..
in the interests
| of World Peace, I will back out gracefully.. I have gotten
to the point
| where I really don't care if his Toshiba notebook works or
doesn't.. if it
| is a hardware issue with Toshiba, he shouldn't be posting
here anyway..

| I even looked through some of the forums to try to get a
handle on what is
| happening with the silly notebooks before I answered.. if
he wants to sit on
| his notebook, I am not about to stop him.. :)
|
| --
| Mike Hall
| MVP - Windows Shell/user
|
| http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

in message
| > Because YOU asked.
| >

| > "Alejandro Penate-Diaz" <alexware69@hotmail.com> wrote
in
| > message news:%23dfbnsoLFHA.3512@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
| > | if it is my problem how come are you giving opinions?
| > |
| > | "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca>
wrote
| > in message

| > option is to take it
| > you.. in the

wrote
| > in message
to an
| > ASP (Authorized
told
| > me that they
after
| > they try to fix
have
| > "static" problems,
and
| > nothing happens.
touch.
| > extra dust in the
ago.
| > So I think the are
| > NEW and EXPENSIVE
| > well KNOWN problem.

| > getting a degree of
| > problems that could all

| > grilles with a
| > understand that some
| > tape.. not a good

no
| > good.. and in the
| > Center..

wrote
| > in message
and
| > freezeing at random
| > Toshiba send
| > computers! There is a

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6142-0.html?forumID=69&thr...

| > |
| > |

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 22, 2005 6:07:59 AM

BestBuy has a published return policy that varies by
category, they will refund or exchange some things at 30
days, no questions asked. Their policy on laptops is 14
days...
Policy for Computers, Monitors, Printers, Notebook
Computers, Camcorders, Digital Cameras and Radar Detectors:
Return items with a valid receipt, the original package and
all package contents within 14 days for a refund or
exchange. A 15% restocking fee will be charged on returns
and exchanges of any opened notebook computer, camcorder,
digital camera or radar detector, unless defective.
Note the last part "unless defective. You can return
defective items. Have you ever wondered about the
"refurbished" computers sold Tiger Direct or even HP and
Dell on their web sites? These are returned items that
cannot be resold as new. If you buy a computer and take the
unopened box out the door and walk back in two minutes to
exchange or get a refund the unopened box cannot be legally
returned to the shelf as "new" but must be described as
previously sold, the price break can be zero or substantial.
But the item will carry whatever warranty the seller lists.

Most state laws establish legal requirements for defective
products. Uniform Commercial Code applies in the USA.

The typical user buys a new item, unpacks it and throws all
the boxes, papers and CD sleeves away (judging by the
questions asked about installing software) so refunds,
exchanges and returns become harder to do.

"jeffrey" <jeffrey@nospam.okinawa.com> wrote in message
| Hi Jim,
|
| The OP also has to realise, Toshiba is not responsible in
replacing his
| notebook, they are only required to repair it. The place
he bought the
| Notebook is responsible for replacing it. Unfortunately,
he purchased it at
| a place with a very short return policy. He just need to
take it to a
| Toshiba repair center and let the warranty do its job. I
have been told
| Toshiba has one of the best repair services, I fortunately
haven`t had need
| of their services.
|
| Jeff

in message
| > Some people take a defective product personally. Other
| > people are unable to use any product since they fail to
use
| > it properly. Some products are very unforgiving, such
as
| > explosives, other products, bubble gum for example are
| > pretty straight forward, but used improperly can still
kill.
| > Computers may be the most complex machines of the age,
and
| > they do require nearly perfect design, manufacture and
| > operation.
| >
| > As you said, Toshiba does have repair stations and new
| > products always entail a learning curve at all stages of
| > design, production and marketing. The user also needs
| > RTFM and take some responsibility both before and after
| > purchase.
| >

| > --
| >

| > "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote
in
| > message news:uLr17DpLFHA.3340@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
| > | Jim
| > |
| > | There appears to be some cultural misunderstanding
here..
| > in the interests
| > | of World Peace, I will back out gracefully.. I have
gotten
| > to the point
| > | where I really don't care if his Toshiba notebook
works or
| > doesn't.. if it
| > | is a hardware issue with Toshiba, he shouldn't be
posting
| > here anyway..
| > |
| > | I even looked through some of the forums to try to get
| > handle on what is
| > | happening with the silly notebooks before I answered..
if
| > he wants to sit on
| > | his notebook, I am not about to stop him.. :)
| > |
| > | --
| > | Mike Hall
| > | MVP - Windows Shell/user
| > |
| > | http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
wrote
| > in message

wrote
| > in
opinions?
| > | > |

<mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca>

<alexware69@hotmail.com>
| > wrote
model?
itself
| > and
days.

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6142-0.html?forumID=69&thr...

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 22, 2005 9:34:04 AM

well, he was doing this (mentioned in the cnet forum):
After you have sent an e-mail to toshibaproblems@hotmail.com start to
get the word out. By posting on forums, newsgroups, mailing lists,
Websites, News/radio, Friends, Family, really any means possible just
get the word out of what we are doing. Just copy and paste this message
to spread the word.
So ignore the uncomfortable messages.
March 22, 2005 10:11:02 AM

Enough already!

Manufacturers like IBM, Compaq and Toshiba have been in the business of
selling Laptops for so many years and occasionally a design fault gets
through to the real world.

How they deal with it is up to their Service and Marketing Departments.

Under their warranty Terms and Conditions, they are generally obliged to FIX
any faults which may arise during use of the product. If the fault is of a
significant nature [generally cost to repair determines this] they will
replace the unit.

An alert has been posted in this Hardware forum, but is it really necessary
to discuss the Pros, Cons etc of this post ad nauseum.

If a person who reads your warning chooses to buy the Toshiba, so 'On their
Head Be It'.

"Alejandro Penate-Diaz" wrote:

> hey, does anybody knows about Toshiba A75 model?
> I just bought one and started rebooting itself and freezeing at random
> times. BestBuy return policy only covers 14 days. Toshiba send customers to
> repairing centers, to repair new computers! There is a class action suite
> here:
> http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6142-0.html?forumID=69&thr...
>
> I dont know what to do other than join them!
>
> Regards,
> Alejandro Penate-Diaz.
> MCP

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 23, 2005 12:07:24 AM

Yep, doesn't matter where you live, the buyer of a product
probably did not investigate their rights and
responsibilities BEFORE the purchase.
And you're exactly right, Toshiba owes Best Buy, Best Buy
owes the retail buyer. And only what is in writing can be
enforced, a salesman's promise just doesn't hold water.

| Hi Jim
|
| Its been a long while since I bought anything from a
electronics store in
| the states. I`ve been in Japan for the past 10 years.
Still the fact is,
| the OP beleives that Toshiba should replace the notebook
instead of
| repairing it. If he bought it directly from Toshiba, then
they would be
| responsible. But since he bought it from a retailer,
Toshiba`s obligation
| to that notebook is repairs only, not a full replacement.
Its the retailers
| responsibility to replace it. Almost like retail version
of the OS versus
| OEM.
|
| Jeff

in message
| > BestBuy has a published return policy that varies by
| > category, they will refund or exchange some things at 30
| > days, no questions asked. Their policy on laptops is 14
| > days...
| > Policy for Computers, Monitors, Printers, Notebook
| > Computers, Camcorders, Digital Cameras and Radar
Detectors:
| > Return items with a valid receipt, the original package
and
| > all package contents within 14 days for a refund or
| > exchange. A 15% restocking fee will be charged on
returns
| > and exchanges of any opened notebook computer,
camcorder,
| > digital camera or radar detector, unless defective.
| > Note the last part "unless defective. You can return
| > defective items. Have you ever wondered about the
| > "refurbished" computers sold Tiger Direct or even HP and
| > Dell on their web sites? These are returned items that
| > cannot be resold as new. If you buy a computer and take
the
| > unopened box out the door and walk back in two minutes
| > exchange or get a refund the unopened box cannot be
legally
| > returned to the shelf as "new" but must be described as
| > previously sold, the price break can be zero or
substantial.
| > But the item will carry whatever warranty the seller
lists.

| > Most state laws establish legal requirements for
defective
| > products. Uniform Commercial Code applies in the USA.
| >

| > --
| >

| > The typical user buys a new item, unpacks it and throws
all
| > the boxes, papers and CD sleeves away (judging by the
| > questions asked about installing software) so refunds,
| > exchanges and returns become harder to do.
| >

| > "jeffrey" <jeffrey@nospam.okinawa.com> wrote in message
| > | Hi Jim,
| > |
| > | The OP also has to realise, Toshiba is not responsible
in
| > replacing his
| > | notebook, they are only required to repair it. The
place
| > he bought the
| > | Notebook is responsible for replacing it.
Unfortunately,
| > he purchased it at
| > | a place with a very short return policy. He just need
| > take it to a
| > | Toshiba repair center and let the warranty do its job.
| > have been told
| > | Toshiba has one of the best repair services, I
fortunately
| > haven`t had need
| > | of their services.
| > |
| > | Jeff
| > |
| > | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
wrote
| > in message
Other
| > use
such
| > as
are
still
| > kill.
age,
| > and
and

new
stages of
needs
after

rights;
overcome.

wrote
| > in
| > | > |
| > here..
have
| > gotten
| > works or
| > posting
| > | > |
answered..
| > if
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
<p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
| > wrote

| > wrote
| > opinions?
| > | > | > |
<mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca>

<alexware69@hotmail.com>
sent
| > me
and
| > the
100%
| > OK
| > doenst
| > speakers
| > the
20
| > days
| > repair
| > experiencing
problem.

| > <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca>

news:o $dpqToLFHA.4084@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

Service
| > and
| > several

| > speaker
| > also
| > insulation

will
| > do
| > Service

| > <alexware69@hotmail.com>

| > model?
| > itself
14
| > days.

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6142-0.html?forumID=69&thr...

them!

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 23, 2005 2:06:33 AM

Jim

A salesperson's word doesn't hold anything, especially if he/she is working
on a commission basis and will get fired unless he/she push the latest
'overstock' items..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> [...]
> | > exchange or get a refund the unopened box cannot be
> legally
> | > returned to the shelf as "new" but must be described as
> | > previously sold, the price break can be zero or
> substantial.
> | > But the item will carry whatever warranty the seller
> lists.
> | >
> | > Most state laws establish legal requirements for
> defective
> | > products. Uniform Commercial Code applies in the USA.
> | >

> | > --
> | > The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
> | > But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
> | >

> | > The typical user buys a new item, unpacks it and throws
> all
> | > the boxes, papers and CD sleeves away (judging by the
> | > questions asked about installing software) so refunds,
> | > exchanges and returns become harder to do.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 23, 2005 6:21:06 AM

Even written contracts may have problems, but as long as the
company continues to be in business and if you have the
money to sue, you might get repairs, replacement or even a
refund. But a salesperson at most retail stores is usually
ignorant of the product and the commercial contract laws.
Some may even be crooks, but most are just ignorant and more
concerned with making the sale.

"Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in
message news:uvFXI31LFHA.2940@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
| Jim
|
| A salesperson's word doesn't hold anything, especially if
he/she is working
| on a commission basis and will get fired unless he/she
push the latest
| 'overstock' items..
|
| --
| Mike Hall
| MVP - Windows Shell/user
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 23, 2005 1:17:03 PM

I had the same problem so I understand how you feel. obviously they are not
in our situation...though they seem to know a lot about it ;-).
don't give up and keep pushing , you deserve a new computer

"Alejandro Penate-Diaz" wrote:

> hey, does anybody knows about Toshiba A75 model?
> I just bought one and started rebooting itself and freezeing at random
> times. BestBuy return policy only covers 14 days. Toshiba send customers to
> repairing centers, to repair new computers! There is a class action suite
> here:
> http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6142-0.html?forumID=69&thr...
>
> I dont know what to do other than join them!
>
> Regards,
> Alejandro Penate-Diaz.
> MCP

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 23, 2005 2:56:02 PM

Jim

You must be a 'Staples' visitor too.. I always take a small pack of nuts in
with me.. if you see a salesperson approach, just throw a couple of nuts
behind them to keep them occupied while you browse.. :)

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> Even written contracts may have problems, but as long as the
> company continues to be in business and if you have the
> money to sue, you might get repairs, replacement or even a
> refund. But a salesperson at most retail stores is usually
> ignorant of the product and the commercial contract laws.
> Some may even be crooks, but most are just ignorant and more
> concerned with making the sale.

> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in
> message news:uvFXI31LFHA.2940@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> | Jim
> |
> | A salesperson's word doesn't hold anything, especially if
> he/she is working
> | on a commission basis and will get fired unless he/she
> push the latest
> | 'overstock' items..
> |
> | --
> | Mike Hall
> | MVP - Windows Shell/user

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 23, 2005 3:04:52 PM

I'll try that technique when I test keyboards.

Modem Ani

> Jim
>
> You must be a 'Staples' visitor too.. I always take a small pack of nuts
in
> with me.. if you see a salesperson approach, just throw a couple of nuts
> behind them to keep them occupied while you browse.. :)
>
> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote in message
> > Even written contracts may have problems, but as long as the
> > company continues to be in business and if you have the
> > money to sue, you might get repairs, replacement or even a
> > refund. But a salesperson at most retail stores is usually
> > ignorant of the product and the commercial contract laws.
> > Some may even be crooks, but most are just ignorant and more
> > concerned with making the sale.
> >

> > --
> > The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
> > But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
> >

> > "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in
> > message news:uvFXI31LFHA.2940@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> > | Jim
> > |
> > | A salesperson's word doesn't hold anything, especially if
> > he/she is working
> > | on a commission basis and will get fired unless he/she
> > push the latest
> > | 'overstock' items..
> > |
> > | --
> > | Mike Hall
> > | MVP - Windows Shell/user

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 23, 2005 3:55:57 PM

We don't have a Staples here in Wichita, but BestBuy or
CompUSA and of course, the Office Depot/Max stores all
generally have the same under-educated, over-paid tech and
sales staffs.

I have taken a few business law classes, so am perhaps a
little more aware of the pitfalls.

"Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in
message news:ui8rFl8LFHA.2736@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
| Jim
|
| You must be a 'Staples' visitor too.. I always take a
small pack of nuts in
| with me.. if you see a salesperson approach, just throw a
couple of nuts
| behind them to keep them occupied while you browse.. :)
|
| --
| Mike Hall
| MVP - Windows Shell/user
|
| http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

in message
| > Even written contracts may have problems, but as long as
the
| > company continues to be in business and if you have the
| > money to sue, you might get repairs, replacement or even
| > refund. But a salesperson at most retail stores is
usually
| > ignorant of the product and the commercial contract
laws.
| > Some may even be crooks, but most are just ignorant and
more
| > concerned with making the sale.
| >

| > --
| >

| > "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote
in
| > message news:uvFXI31LFHA.2940@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
| > | Jim
| > |
| > | A salesperson's word doesn't hold anything, especially
if
| > he/she is working
| > | on a commission basis and will get fired unless he/she
| > push the latest
| > | 'overstock' items..
| > |
| > | --
| > | Mike Hall
| > | MVP - Windows Shell/user

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 23, 2005 5:09:44 PM

In article <OjeYNq9LFHA.1392@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>,
Jim Macklin <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote:
>We don't have a Staples here in Wichita, but BestBuy or
>CompUSA and of course, the Office Depot/Max stores all
>generally have the same under-educated, over-paid tech and
>sales staffs.
>
>I have taken a few business law classes, so am perhaps a
>little more aware of the pitfalls.

IMO, in general, laptops should be purchased directly from the
manufacturer with the manufacturer's extended warranty. You get to
choose from the full range of options and models. In a Big Box store
you only see selected preconfigured models. And you don;t have to deal
with that salesman.

--

a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 23, 2005 5:20:19 PM

thanks. did you get a new computer?

"anotherITguy" <anotherITguy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D FA11914-E1F9-434F-A53C-5516B0E6F266@microsoft.com...
>I had the same problem so I understand how you feel. obviously they are not
> in our situation...though they seem to know a lot about it ;-).
> don't give up and keep pushing , you deserve a new computer
>
> "Alejandro Penate-Diaz" wrote:
>
>> hey, does anybody knows about Toshiba A75 model?
>> I just bought one and started rebooting itself and freezeing at random
>> times. BestBuy return policy only covers 14 days. Toshiba send customers
>> repairing centers, to repair new computers! There is a class action suite
>> here:
>> http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6142-0.html?forumID=69&thr...
>>
>> I dont know what to do other than join them!
>>
>> Regards,
>> Alejandro Penate-Diaz.
>> MCP

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 23, 2005 5:20:20 PM

of course

"Alejandro Penate-Diaz" wrote:

> thanks. did you get a new computer?
>
> "anotherITguy" <anotherITguy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:D FA11914-E1F9-434F-A53C-5516B0E6F266@microsoft.com...
> >I had the same problem so I understand how you feel. obviously they are not
> > in our situation...though they seem to know a lot about it ;-).
> > don't give up and keep pushing , you deserve a new computer
> >
> > "Alejandro Penate-Diaz" wrote:
> >
> >> hey, does anybody knows about Toshiba A75 model?
> >> I just bought one and started rebooting itself and freezeing at random
> >> times. BestBuy return policy only covers 14 days. Toshiba send customers
> >> repairing centers, to repair new computers! There is a class action suite
> >> here:
> >> http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6142-0.html?forumID=69&thr...
> >>
> >> I dont know what to do other than join them!
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Alejandro Penate-Diaz.
> >> MCP

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 23, 2005 5:31:07 PM

Consumer law in most countries dictates that the customer should ask about
his/her rights when buying a product.. if the prospective customer fails to
do that, and the store also fails to make the rights available, then so be
it..

We all think that a new computer is in order, but what we would like and
what we get are to different things..

As it stands for the OP, he can leave the computer the way it is and join a
group trying to get a lawsuit in motion, or get it fixed and join a group
trying to get a lawsuit in motion.. his call..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"anotherITguy" <anotherITguy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D FA11914-E1F9-434F-A53C-5516B0E6F266@microsoft.com...
>I had the same problem so I understand how you feel. obviously they are not
> in our situation...though they seem to know a lot about it ;-).
> don't give up and keep pushing , you deserve a new computer
>
> "Alejandro Penate-Diaz" wrote:
>
>> hey, does anybody knows about Toshiba A75 model?
>> I just bought one and started rebooting itself and freezeing at random
>> times. BestBuy return policy only covers 14 days. Toshiba send customers
>> repairing centers, to repair new computers! There is a class action suite
>> here:
>> http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6142-0.html?forumID=69&thr...
>>
>> I dont know what to do other than join them!
>>
>> Regards,
>> Alejandro Penate-Diaz.
>> MCP

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 23, 2005 5:31:08 PM

"Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Consumer law in most countries dictates that the customer should ask about
> his/her rights when buying a product.. if the prospective customer fails to
> do that, and the store also fails to make the rights available, then so be
> it..
>
> We all think that a new computer is in order, but what we would like and
> what we get are to different things..

they know those computers are not in order and keep selling lots

> As it stands for the OP, he can leave the computer the way it is and join a
> group trying to get a lawsuit in motion, or get it fixed and join a group
> trying to get a lawsuit in motion.. his call..

wouldn't recommend that, a friend of mine have sent his three times to
repairing centers. still having the same problem.
> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "anotherITguy" <anotherITguy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:D FA11914-E1F9-434F-A53C-5516B0E6F266@microsoft.com...
> >I had the same problem so I understand how you feel. obviously they are not
> > in our situation...though they seem to know a lot about it ;-).
> > don't give up and keep pushing , you deserve a new computer
> >
> > "Alejandro Penate-Diaz" wrote:
> >
> >> hey, does anybody knows about Toshiba A75 model?
> >> I just bought one and started rebooting itself and freezeing at random
> >> times. BestBuy return policy only covers 14 days. Toshiba send customers
> >> repairing centers, to repair new computers! There is a class action suite
> >> here:
> >> http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6142-0.html?forumID=69&thr...
> >>
> >> I dont know what to do other than join them!
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Alejandro Penate-Diaz.
> >> MCP

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 23, 2005 8:12:25 PM

I would have thought that failure by a Toshiba Service Center to cure a
problem would help in any claim against Toshiba..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Consumer law in most countries dictates that the customer should ask
>> about
>> his/her rights when buying a product.. if the prospective customer fails
>> do that, and the store also fails to make the rights available, then so
>> be
>> it..
>>
>> We all think that a new computer is in order, but what we would like and
>> what we get are to different things..
>
> they know those computers are not in order and keep selling lots
>

>> As it stands for the OP, he can leave the computer the way it is and join
>> group trying to get a lawsuit in motion, or get it fixed and join a group
>> trying to get a lawsuit in motion.. his call..
>
> wouldn't recommend that, a friend of mine have sent his three times to
> repairing centers. still having the same problem.
>> --
>> Mike Hall
>> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>>
>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>

>> "anotherITguy" <anotherITguy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:D FA11914-E1F9-434F-A53C-5516B0E6F266@microsoft.com...
>> >I had the same problem so I understand how you feel. obviously they are
>> >not
>> > in our situation...though they seem to know a lot about it ;-).
>> > don't give up and keep pushing , you deserve a new computer

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 23, 2005 10:45:23 PM

Caveat Emptor

"Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in
message news:o Emev79LFHA.1392@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

wrote in message
| news:D FA11914-E1F9-434F-A53C-5516B0E6F266@microsoft.com...
| >I had the same problem so I understand how you feel.
obviously they are not
| > in our situation...though they seem to know a lot about
it ;-).
| > don't give up and keep pushing , you deserve a new
computer

| > "Alejandro Penate-Diaz" wrote:
| >
| >> hey, does anybody knows about Toshiba A75 model?
| >> I just bought one and started rebooting itself and
freezeing at random
| >> times. BestBuy return policy only covers 14 days.
Toshiba send customers
| >> repairing centers, to repair new computers! There is a
class action suite
| >> here:

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6142-0.html?forumID=69&thr...

| >> I dont know what to do other than join them!
| >>
| >> Regards,
| >> Alejandro Penate-Diaz.
| >> MCP

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 24, 2005 4:01:39 AM

In message <O15m3V$LFHA.2580@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl> "Mike Hall
\(MS-MVP\)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>I would have thought that failure by a Toshiba Service Center to cure a
>problem would help in any claim against Toshiba..

Most definitely. And failure to take the manufacturer up on and offer
to fix the problem will probably get the case tossed out of court should
the you decide to go after the manufacturer.

--
News: CIVIL SERVANT STAYS AWAKE ALL SHIFT LONG
"Man, I've really got to cut back on the caffeine" he says

In news:o 15m3V$LFHA.2580@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Mike Hall (MS-MVP) <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> had this to say:

> I would have thought that failure by a Toshiba Service Center to cure
> a problem would help in any claim against Toshiba..

Speaking from a legal standpoint a claim against Toshiba for faulty hardware
that they'd fixed prior to the claim would have a greater standing in court
in America.You are correct Mike and this is something that the OP needs to
realize. They're already out $XXXX and now if they join the lawsuit without
opting to use the warranty while it's in place they'll get a broken laptop
with $XX amount of recompense. That's it...

Galen