Missing space on Hard drive!!!

March 21, 2005 9:51:02 PM

I recently backed up my C drive which had about 20 gb free with Norton ghost
onto my C drive into a folder backup. In the middle i encountred an error
because there wasn't enough hard drive space on my C to back it up. I shift
deleted the folder backup to get rid of it. unfortunately I still have no
space left on my Hard drive eventhough i deleted the folder with the backup.
There is also nothing in my recycle bin. I ran Norton disk doctor and it
found no errors. When i go onto the C drive and highlight everything
including hidden files it says the files take up 39 gb but in properties of
the c drive it says the files take up 68.5 gb. What am i doing wrong and how
can i fix this???

-Greg
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 11:55:29 PM

"GREG" <GREG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 60EC83C-6CA8-435F-850B-62D7BB9A27F0@microsoft.com...
>I recently backed up my C drive which had about 20 gb free with Norton
>ghost
> onto my C drive into a folder backup. In the middle i encountred an error
> because there wasn't enough hard drive space on my C to back it up. I
> shift
> deleted the folder backup to get rid of it. unfortunately I still have no
> space left on my Hard drive eventhough i deleted the folder with the
> backup.
> There is also nothing in my recycle bin. I ran Norton disk doctor and it
> found no errors. When i go onto the C drive and highlight everything
> including hidden files it says the files take up 39 gb but in properties
> of
> the c drive it says the files take up 68.5 gb. What am i doing wrong and
> how
> can i fix this???
>
> -Greg

You cannot make an Image of Drive C to a location on C Drive. You must make
the Image to another Partition/Hard Drive or sometype Removable Media such
as DVDs or CDs or Network Storage/Drives.

--
William
Anonymous

"GREG" <GREG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 60EC83C-6CA8-435F-850B-62D7BB9A27F0@microsoft.com...
>I recently backed up my C drive which had about 20 gb free with Norton
>ghost
> onto my C drive into a folder backup. In the middle i encountred an error
> because there wasn't enough hard drive space on my C to back it up. I
> shift
> deleted the folder backup to get rid of it. unfortunately I still have no
> space left on my Hard drive eventhough i deleted the folder with the
> backup.
> There is also nothing in my recycle bin. I ran Norton disk doctor and it
> found no errors. When i go onto the C drive and highlight everything
> including hidden files it says the files take up 39 gb but in properties
> of
> the c drive it says the files take up 68.5 gb. What am i doing wrong and
> how
> can i fix this???
>
> -Greg

This is taken from the User Guide

"Use this option to store the backup images on the local computer that is
being backed up. It is possible to save the backup image to the same drive
that you are backing up; however, it is not recommended because as the
number or size of backups grows, you will have less disk space available for
regular use. (Also, the backup image itself will be included in subsequent
backups of the drive, increasing the size of those backups.) Saving the
backup to a separate drive, a network location, or removable media
eliminates this problem. You can use Norton PartitionMagic to create new
partitions (drives) on your computer hard disk that are dedicated to storing
backup images. "

--
William
Anonymous

Norton Ghost has a hidden disk space in each of your drives. The
missing space is occupied with Norton Ghost. See the documentation for
more info.
!