Missing space on Hard drive!!!

I recently backed up my C drive which had about 20 gb free with Norton ghost
onto my C drive into a folder backup. In the middle i encountred an error
because there wasn't enough hard drive space on my C to back it up. I shift
deleted the folder backup to get rid of it. unfortunately I still have no
space left on my Hard drive eventhough i deleted the folder with the backup.
There is also nothing in my recycle bin. I ran Norton disk doctor and it
found no errors. When i go onto the C drive and highlight everything
including hidden files it says the files take up 39 gb but in properties of
the c drive it says the files take up 68.5 gb. What am i doing wrong and how
can i fix this???

-Greg
3 answers Last reply
More about missing space hard drive

    "GREG" <GREG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I recently backed up my C drive which had about 20 gb free with Norton
    >ghost
    > onto my C drive into a folder backup. In the middle i encountred an error
    > because there wasn't enough hard drive space on my C to back it up. I
    > shift
    > deleted the folder backup to get rid of it. unfortunately I still have no
    > space left on my Hard drive eventhough i deleted the folder with the
    > backup.
    > There is also nothing in my recycle bin. I ran Norton disk doctor and it
    > found no errors. When i go onto the C drive and highlight everything
    > including hidden files it says the files take up 39 gb but in properties
    > of
    > the c drive it says the files take up 68.5 gb. What am i doing wrong and
    > how
    > can i fix this???
    >
    > -Greg

    You cannot make an Image of Drive C to a location on C Drive. You must make
    the Image to another Partition/Hard Drive or sometype Removable Media such
    as DVDs or CDs or Network Storage/Drives.

    --
    William

    "GREG" <GREG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I recently backed up my C drive which had about 20 gb free with Norton
    >ghost
    > onto my C drive into a folder backup. In the middle i encountred an error
    > because there wasn't enough hard drive space on my C to back it up. I
    > shift
    > deleted the folder backup to get rid of it. unfortunately I still have no
    > space left on my Hard drive eventhough i deleted the folder with the
    > backup.
    > There is also nothing in my recycle bin. I ran Norton disk doctor and it
    > found no errors. When i go onto the C drive and highlight everything
    > including hidden files it says the files take up 39 gb but in properties
    > of
    > the c drive it says the files take up 68.5 gb. What am i doing wrong and
    > how
    > can i fix this???
    >
    > -Greg

    This is taken from the User Guide

    "Use this option to store the backup images on the local computer that is
    being backed up. It is possible to save the backup image to the same drive
    that you are backing up; however, it is not recommended because as the
    number or size of backups grows, you will have less disk space available for
    regular use. (Also, the backup image itself will be included in subsequent
    backups of the drive, increasing the size of those backups.) Saving the
    backup to a separate drive, a network location, or removable media
    eliminates this problem. You can use Norton PartitionMagic to create new
    partitions (drives) on your computer hard disk that are dedicated to storing
    backup images. "

    --
    William

    Norton Ghost has a hidden disk space in each of your drives. The
    missing space is occupied with Norton Ghost. See the documentation for
    more info.

Backup Hard Drives Windows XP