Missing boot files on new hard drive

March 22, 2005 12:02:44 AM

Folks,

I need some assistance in getting my new hard drive to be bootable in
XP. Here is the background.

I have a Sony desktop (PCVRX572 purchased in Thanksgiving 2001) that
came with a 60Gb hard drive and XP Home. Over the past few years, I
have accumulated programs and data leading to a close to full drive. I
purchased a new Seagate 200Gb HDD with the intent of replacing the
original.

Installed the new HDD as a slave via an add-on controller card (Promise
UTA100TX2 ) that came bundled with another drive (Western Digital 160Gb
HDD). After a bunch of system updates (BIOS, ATAPI.SYS, etc), the
system recognizes the full capacity of 200 Gb in XP as well as during
the boot sequence. I then installed XP Pro onto the new HDD (atleast
that is what I thought). Did not think much when the system showed a
dual boot option (XP Home and XP Pro) after the installation was
complete. Spent the last few days, installing other applns including
Office 2003, IM, Spyware, AV, etc....

Here is the problem - when I disconnected the original (master drive)
and configured the new drive to be the master, I could not get the
system up. Error of 'NOT A SYSTEM DISK'. Reverted back to the original
config of master and slave. Brought the system up and noticed that
there were no boot files on the new HDD! All boot files were on the
original disk.

Short of having to re-do all of the work, can some one please share a
fix to make the new HDD a boot drive?

NO, I do not want to clone the original drive to the new drive. I have
GHOST 2003 but do not want all the Sony junk and other junk from the
old drive.

Your suggestions would be highly appreciated. Thanks.

Cheers
Subbarayudu
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 12:42:59 PM

The problem is, when you installed the new XPpro, it still wrote the boot
files to C: , that being the old drive...

Disconnect old drive and make new master. Boot from XP CD (if needed check
boot settings in BIOS). Press 1st R(epair) to get to repair console. Run
FIXBOOT. Boot from HD.
If needed you can now connect the old drive as slave and use DATA from it.

If you want the dual boot the other way (Pro and Home), I don't remember
what to put in boot.ini on 1st drive, but you can look at the old drive's
boot.ini to get an idea...

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

<sdarisi@hotmail.com> kirjoitti viestissä
> Folks,
>
> I need some assistance in getting my new hard drive to be bootable in
> XP. Here is the background.
>
> I have a Sony desktop (PCVRX572 purchased in Thanksgiving 2001) that
> came with a 60Gb hard drive and XP Home. Over the past few years, I
> have accumulated programs and data leading to a close to full drive. I
> purchased a new Seagate 200Gb HDD with the intent of replacing the
> original.
>
> Installed the new HDD as a slave via an add-on controller card (Promise
> UTA100TX2 ) that came bundled with another drive (Western Digital 160Gb
> HDD). After a bunch of system updates (BIOS, ATAPI.SYS, etc), the
> system recognizes the full capacity of 200 Gb in XP as well as during
> the boot sequence. I then installed XP Pro onto the new HDD (atleast
> that is what I thought). Did not think much when the system showed a
> dual boot option (XP Home and XP Pro) after the installation was
> complete. Spent the last few days, installing other applns including
> Office 2003, IM, Spyware, AV, etc....
>
> Here is the problem - when I disconnected the original (master drive)
> and configured the new drive to be the master, I could not get the
> system up. Error of 'NOT A SYSTEM DISK'. Reverted back to the original
> config of master and slave. Brought the system up and noticed that
> there were no boot files on the new HDD! All boot files were on the
> original disk.
>
> Short of having to re-do all of the work, can some one please share a
> fix to make the new HDD a boot drive?
>
> NO, I do not want to clone the original drive to the new drive. I have
> GHOST 2003 but do not want all the Sony junk and other junk from the
> old drive.
>
> Your suggestions would be highly appreciated. Thanks.
>
> Cheers
> Subbarayudu

Anonymous
March 22, 2005 9:46:31 PM

<sdarisi@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Folks,
>
> I need some assistance in getting my new hard drive to be bootable in
> XP. Here is the background.
>
> I have a Sony desktop (PCVRX572 purchased in Thanksgiving 2001) that
> came with a 60Gb hard drive and XP Home. Over the past few years, I
> have accumulated programs and data leading to a close to full drive. I
> purchased a new Seagate 200Gb HDD with the intent of replacing the
> original.
>
> Installed the new HDD as a slave via an add-on controller card (Promise
> UTA100TX2 ) that came bundled with another drive (Western Digital 160Gb
> HDD). After a bunch of system updates (BIOS, ATAPI.SYS, etc), the
> system recognizes the full capacity of 200 Gb in XP as well as during
> the boot sequence. I then installed XP Pro onto the new HDD (atleast
> that is what I thought). Did not think much when the system showed a
> dual boot option (XP Home and XP Pro) after the installation was
> complete. Spent the last few days, installing other applns including
> Office 2003, IM, Spyware, AV, etc....
>
> Here is the problem - when I disconnected the original (master drive)
> and configured the new drive to be the master, I could not get the
> system up. Error of 'NOT A SYSTEM DISK'. Reverted back to the original
> config of master and slave. Brought the system up and noticed that
> there were no boot files on the new HDD! All boot files were on the
> original disk.
>
> Short of having to re-do all of the work, can some one please share a
> fix to make the new HDD a boot drive?
>
> NO, I do not want to clone the original drive to the new drive. I have
> GHOST 2003 but do not want all the Sony junk and other junk from the
> old drive.
>
> Your suggestions would be highly appreciated. Thanks.
>
> Cheers
> Subbarayudu

Your new installation will only run while your original disk is in
place and while the new drive is visible as drive D:. While it
would be quite easy to make the new drive bootable when it
is the only drive in the PC, this would still leave you with the
drive letter problem. Windows would not run properly.

Here are a couple of easy options:
- Make sure that the new disk is the only disk in the PC,
then re-install WinXP.
- Get a cheap second hand disk (540 MBytes will do!),
then make it the boot disk and accept that your system
runs off drive D:.
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 9:46:32 PM

Right, forgot that letter problem....