Enabling MY AGP slot for an Upgraded 128MB Graphic Card

Recently i purchased a 128MB Graphic card to support application software
such as Adobe Premier Pro and 3D Dreambuilder.....problem is that i can't
seem to access my BIOS settings due to an unexpected password that needs to
be inputed....is there a way of overiding the password so i can enable the
AGP Slot?? Also...if any of you user have inputed a graphic card, could you
please give me a brief outline on what to do in order to get the card
working....as im a ameatur!!
--
Thanks Heaps!!!

Brenny

bar

If you cannot remeber a BIOS password it may be possible to 'reset' BIOS.

Look in the user guide and you will find exact instruction on what is
required.

Typicall one MUST disconnect the PC from mains power first.

Open up the case, then identify a jumper pin: this will have a single jumper
[AKA shunt] across two of three pins usually 1 - 2. The reset proceedure
requires that one removes the jumper and places it across pins 2 - 3 for 5 to
10 seconds. The jumper should then be replaced to the 1 - 2 pins.

BIOS is then reset to factory state.

When boot up it will be necessary to reconfigure all options in BIOS to
their prior state: Memory, Wake-up events, Clock Speed [100, 133 etc]. This
is most important in order that the system is set to your CPU and
peripherals.

Once you are confident that your system is behaving exactly as it was
before, then you can go back to BIOS and enable the AGP 'slot' and disable
the on board AGP chip.

"Brenny" wrote:

> Recently i purchased a 128MB Graphic card to support application software
> such as Adobe Premier Pro and 3D Dreambuilder.....problem is that i can't
> seem to access my BIOS settings due to an unexpected password that needs to
> be inputed....is there a way of overiding the password so i can enable the
> AGP Slot?? Also...if any of you user have inputed a graphic card, could you
> please give me a brief outline on what to do in order to get the card
> working....as im a ameatur!!
> --
> Thanks Heaps!!!
>
> Brenny

albert

Distinguished
May 27, 2002

Brenny wrote:
> Recently i purchased a 128MB Graphic card to support application software
> such as Adobe Premier Pro and 3D Dreambuilder.....problem is that i can't
> seem to access my BIOS settings due to an unexpected password that needs to
> be inputed....is there a way of overiding the password so i can enable the
> AGP Slot?? Also...if any of you user have inputed a graphic card, could you
> please give me a brief outline on what to do in order to get the card
> working....as im a ameatur!!

Yes study your hardware manual. On the motherboard there is a place to
clear the CMOS settings. Read carefully, some mother boards require the
power plug to be off when switch.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0511-1, 03/17/2005
Tested on: 3/22/2005 10:43:09 AM

Most BIOS's won't accept the "Enter" key or the "ESC" key as being a valid
password (older systems did) but try those just in case someone accidentally
input one of those keys As others have already suggested - drain the swamp
and rebuild.

Bob S.

"Brenny" <c_sammut@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Recently i purchased a 128MB Graphic card to support application software
> such as Adobe Premier Pro and 3D Dreambuilder.....problem is that i can't
> seem to access my BIOS settings due to an unexpected password that needs
> be inputed....is there a way of overiding the password so i can enable the
> AGP Slot?? Also...if any of you user have inputed a graphic card, could
you
> please give me a brief outline on what to do in order to get the card
> working....as im a ameatur!!
> --
> Thanks Heaps!!!
>
> Brenny

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 01:41:04 -0800, BAR
<BAR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>If you cannot remeber a BIOS password it may be possible to 'reset' BIOS.
>
>Look in the user guide and you will find exact instruction on what is
>required.
>
>Typicall one MUST disconnect the PC from mains power first.

Not a requirement, but certainly very very advisable!

>Open up the case, then identify a jumper pin: this will have a single jumper
>[AKA shunt] across two of three pins usually 1 - 2. The reset proceedure
>requires that one removes the jumper and places it across pins 2 - 3 for 5 to
>10 seconds. The jumper should then be replaced to the 1 - 2 pins.

Not every motherboard has a jumper to reset the BIOS password,
although most modern boards do. Sometimes you have to disconnect the
power from the power supply, pop the battery off the MB for several
seconds, the put it back in place. That will always work.

>BIOS is then reset to factory state.
>
>When boot up it will be necessary to reconfigure all options in BIOS to
>their prior state: Memory, Wake-up events, Clock Speed [100, 133 etc]. This
>is most important in order that the system is set to your CPU and
>peripherals.

Agreed. Good advice

>Once you are confident that your system is behaving exactly as it was
>before, then you can go back to BIOS and enable the AGP 'slot' and disable
>the on board AGP chip.

This isn't always necessary. When I inserted an AGP card into the AGP
port, the onboard video was automatically disabled when I booted up
next time. I just installed the correct drivers (not the generic ones
Windows was using) and rebooted.

NobodyMan wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 01:41:04 -0800, BAR
> <BAR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>

>>If you cannot remeber a BIOS password it may be possible to 'reset' BIOS.
>>
>>Look in the user guide and you will find exact instruction on what is
>>required.
>>
>>Typicall one MUST disconnect the PC from mains power first.
>

> Not a requirement, but certainly very very advisable!
>

>>Open up the case, then identify a jumper pin: this will have a single jumper
>>[AKA shunt] across two of three pins usually 1 - 2. The reset proceedure
>>requires that one removes the jumper and places it across pins 2 - 3 for 5 to
>>10 seconds. The jumper should then be replaced to the 1 - 2 pins.
>

> Not every motherboard has a jumper to reset the BIOS password,
> although most modern boards do. Sometimes you have to disconnect the
> power from the power supply, pop the battery off the MB for several
> seconds, the put it back in place. That will always work.

Not always - many boards are designed to retain BIOS settings during
battery replacement, even without standby power.

To ensure default BIOS settings, the battery should be flipped over and
used to short the motherboard battery contacts together for several
seconds. The system power cord *must* be disconnected during this
procedure.