Lacie External hard disk problem

Bigby

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2004

I have a Lacie big Disk extreme connected by firewire. In recent weeks I have
been getting "cylic redunduncy check" errors on some files. Now when I try to
access my files on this hard disk it says the drive is not formatted. I have
used "testdisk" and all my files are still there. What should I do?

peter

Hi,
Have you tried to connect it to other PC?

Below are some Q&A from Lacie support website:

If I send a drive in for warranty repair, will I get my data back?

No. All drives are formatted as part of the repair process. You will need to
copy the data before sending it in. If the data is not accessible and you
need it, you will want to contact a data recovery company.

Before sending a drive to a data recovery company, check with the drive
manufacturer to verify that the company is authorized to perform data
recovery. If it is not an authorized company, the warranty will be voided.

We recommend DriveSavers at 800/440-1904. They are certified by all drive
manufacturers to do what is necessary to recover data from the drive.
10025

My drive crashed and I need my data. Do you do data recovery?

No. We are not a data recovery company. Before sending a drive to a data
recovery company, check with the drive manufacturer to verify that the
company is authorized to perform data recovery. If it is not an authorized
company, the warranty will be voided. We recommend DriveSavers at
800/440-1904. They are certified by all drive manufacturers to do what is
necessary to recover data from the drive.

My drive keeps clicking and can’t be accessed.

It could be a bad drive, defective power supply, or if it is a bus powered
drive, there may not be enough power being supplied on the bus.
Desktop drives

If you have access to another LaCie AC Power Adapter for your specific type
of drive, try it.

Try the drive on another computer.
Mobile drives

If the drive came with an AC Power Adapter, connect it and see if the drive
functions.

Some LaCie mobile drives ship with a USB Power Cable. It can plug into a
second USB port and then to the power plug on the drive. It may provide
enough additional power to the drive for it to operate.

Try the drive on another computer.
Note: Some laptop computers do not supply enough power on the USB bus to
power the drive. If it works on a desktop computer but not on the laptop,
this is the issue. Try the USB Power Cable or the AC Power Adapter.

sorry, can't help.

Peter

"Bigby" wrote:

> I have a Lacie big Disk extreme connected by firewire. In recent weeks I have
> been getting "cylic redunduncy check" errors on some files. Now when I try to
> access my files on this hard disk it says the drive is not formatted. I have
> used "testdisk" and all my files are still there. What should I do?

bar

Best things to do is attempt to copy all your important files to another
disk. This LaCie drive is on the way out.

Call LaCie tech support and see if the drive is replaceable under the terms
of their warranty agreement.

If not, you may be able to install a relacement hard drive yourself: given
that the warranty has expired and that you have all your data elsewhere,
opening the case and loking inside to see who made the drive and determine if
there is a compatble 3.5 inch [Standard IDE or SCSI drive] or 2.5 inch
[Laptop IDE drive] which your local PC store can supply.

Most of the USB drives have industry disks inside, if not all of them.

Once you have a new Hard Disk, then it will need to be partitioned and
frmatted under Disk Management before it is accessible under Xp.

"Peter" wrote:

> Hi,
> Have you tried to connect it to other PC?
>
> Below are some Q&A from Lacie support website:
>
> If I send a drive in for warranty repair, will I get my data back?
>
> No. All drives are formatted as part of the repair process. You will need to
> copy the data before sending it in. If the data is not accessible and you
> need it, you will want to contact a data recovery company.
>
> Before sending a drive to a data recovery company, check with the drive
> manufacturer to verify that the company is authorized to perform data
> recovery. If it is not an authorized company, the warranty will be voided.
>
> We recommend DriveSavers at 800/440-1904. They are certified by all drive
> manufacturers to do what is necessary to recover data from the drive.
> 10025
>

> My drive crashed and I need my data. Do you do data recovery?
>
> No. We are not a data recovery company. Before sending a drive to a data
> recovery company, check with the drive manufacturer to verify that the
> company is authorized to perform data recovery. If it is not an authorized
> company, the warranty will be voided. We recommend DriveSavers at
> 800/440-1904. They are certified by all drive manufacturers to do what is
> necessary to recover data from the drive.
>
> My drive keeps clicking and can’t be accessed.
>
> It could be a bad drive, defective power supply, or if it is a bus powered
> drive, there may not be enough power being supplied on the bus.
> Desktop drives
>

> If you have access to another LaCie AC Power Adapter for your specific type
> of drive, try it.
>
> Try the drive on another computer.
> Mobile drives
>

> If the drive came with an AC Power Adapter, connect it and see if the drive
> functions.
>
> Some LaCie mobile drives ship with a USB Power Cable. It can plug into a
> second USB port and then to the power plug on the drive. It may provide
> enough additional power to the drive for it to operate.
>
> Try the drive on another computer.
> Note: Some laptop computers do not supply enough power on the USB bus to
> power the drive. If it works on a desktop computer but not on the laptop,
> this is the issue. Try the USB Power Cable or the AC Power Adapter.
>

> sorry, can't help.
>
> Peter
>

> "Bigby" wrote:
>
> > I have a Lacie big Disk extreme connected by firewire. In recent weeks I have
> > been getting "cylic redunduncy check" errors on some files. Now when I try to
> > access my files on this hard disk it says the drive is not formatted. I have
> > used "testdisk" and all my files are still there. What should I do?

Bigby

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2004

I phoned Lacie and they said it might be a problem with service pack 2 and
that I should try there update tool. Still have the problem. I think i'll try
to connect to a friends pc(no SP2).

"Peter" wrote:

> Hi,
> Have you tried to connect it to other PC?
>
> Below are some Q&A from Lacie support website:
>
> If I send a drive in for warranty repair, will I get my data back?
>
> No. All drives are formatted as part of the repair process. You will need to
> copy the data before sending it in. If the data is not accessible and you
> need it, you will want to contact a data recovery company.
>
> Before sending a drive to a data recovery company, check with the drive
> manufacturer to verify that the company is authorized to perform data
> recovery. If it is not an authorized company, the warranty will be voided.
>
> We recommend DriveSavers at 800/440-1904. They are certified by all drive
> manufacturers to do what is necessary to recover data from the drive.
> 10025
>

> My drive crashed and I need my data. Do you do data recovery?
>
> No. We are not a data recovery company. Before sending a drive to a data
> recovery company, check with the drive manufacturer to verify that the
> company is authorized to perform data recovery. If it is not an authorized
> company, the warranty will be voided. We recommend DriveSavers at
> 800/440-1904. They are certified by all drive manufacturers to do what is
> necessary to recover data from the drive.
>
> My drive keeps clicking and can’t be accessed.
>
> It could be a bad drive, defective power supply, or if it is a bus powered
> drive, there may not be enough power being supplied on the bus.
> Desktop drives
>

> If you have access to another LaCie AC Power Adapter for your specific type
> of drive, try it.
>
> Try the drive on another computer.
> Mobile drives
>

> If the drive came with an AC Power Adapter, connect it and see if the drive
> functions.
>
> Some LaCie mobile drives ship with a USB Power Cable. It can plug into a
> second USB port and then to the power plug on the drive. It may provide
> enough additional power to the drive for it to operate.
>
> Try the drive on another computer.
> Note: Some laptop computers do not supply enough power on the USB bus to
> power the drive. If it works on a desktop computer but not on the laptop,
> this is the issue. Try the USB Power Cable or the AC Power Adapter.
>

> sorry, can't help.
>
> Peter
>

> "Bigby" wrote:
>
> > I have a Lacie big Disk extreme connected by firewire. In recent weeks I have
> > been getting "cylic redunduncy check" errors on some files. Now when I try to
> > access my files on this hard disk it says the drive is not formatted. I have
> > used "testdisk" and all my files are still there. What should I do?

Bigby

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2004

I've only had the drive for around 4 months."on the way out"? Do you mean the
actual drive is faulty or could it be a sofware problem.

"BAR" wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > Some LaCie mobile drives ship with a USB Power Cable. It can plug into a
> > second USB port and then to the power plug on the drive. It may provide
> > enough additional power to the drive for it to operate.
> >
> > Try the drive on another computer.
> > Note: Some laptop computers do not supply enough power on the USB bus to
> > power the drive. If it works on a desktop computer but not on the laptop,
> > this is the issue. Try the USB Power Cable or the AC Power Adapter.
> >

> > sorry, can't help.
> >
> > Peter
> >

> > "Bigby" wrote:
> >
> > > I have a Lacie big Disk extreme connected by firewire. In recent weeks I have
> > > been getting "cylic redunduncy check" errors on some files. Now when I try to
> > > access my files on this hard disk it says the drive is not formatted. I have
> > > used "testdisk" and all my files are still there. What should I do?

Cyclic Redundancy Checking (CRC) - error.

That is, when the CRC values for a file do not match, that file is corrupt.
The Note that when the CRC value listed for a file within the image file
differs from the calculated CRC value for the same file on the disk or
partition, the corruption might have occurred while creating file. If so,
creating a new file could resolve the problem.

However, the corruption might instead have occurred due to reading from or
writing to a bad sector on the disk or partition. Bad sectors provide
inconsistent results when written to or read from.

It is the possibility of Bad Sectors and the increasing number of them that
makes me believe that the disk drive is 'on the way out'.

I cannot see how SP2 would be the culprit or else you would be seeing the
same problems on all Hard Drives.

Bigby wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> Some LaCie mobile drives ship with a USB Power Cable. It can plug
>> into a second USB port and then to the power plug on the drive. It
>> may provide enough additional power to the drive for it to operate.
>>
>> Try the drive on another computer.
>> Note: Some laptop computers do not supply enough power on the USB
>> bus to power the drive. If it works on a desktop computer but not on
>> the laptop, this is the issue. Try the USB Power Cable or the AC
>> Power Adapter.
>>

>> sorry, can't help.
>>
>> Peter
>>

>> "Bigby" wrote:
>>
>>> I have a Lacie big Disk extreme connected by firewire. In recent
>>> weeks I have been getting "cylic redunduncy check" errors on some
>>> files. Now when I try to access my files on this hard disk it says
>>> the drive is not formatted. I have used "testdisk" and all my files

I think you should run chkdsk /f from a command prompt to see if there
is a systemic problem that can be fixed. Otherwise get everythng off
before you attempt to connect to another computer. You might also turn
off write cacheing for this drive. Is the power supply adequate?

Bigby

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2004

I used chkdsk /f and now i can access my files. Could the problem have been
that I hadn't partitioned the drive. The drive is a 500GB disk.
I decided to have 3 partitions using partitionmagic 8. At first I got "#1513
error- Bad attribute position in file record". It recommended I use chkdsk
/f. At first it didn't work, so I deleted some files I have CRC errors with
and tried chkdsk /f and it worked.