Problem accessing Belkin modem/router settings

Gordon

I have tried to set up a peer-to-peer WLAN using a Belkin ADSL Modem with
Wireless g Router connected via an ethernet port to my desktop and a Belkin
Wireless g Notebook Network card in my laptop. I do not have broadband as
yet and use dial-up access from my desktop for internet access. Both
machines are running XP Home.

I did succeed in getting this working and can access files in the shared
drives on each computer from the other conmputer. I can also access the
internet OK from the laptop using the desktop dial-up connection over the
WLAN.

I then decided to set security on.

The manual states I should enter 192.168.2.1 in an Internet Explorer address
bar to access the router settings, which I did originally to set it up and
was successful. Now, however, when I do this, I get a Page Not Found. I
have tried various things unsuccessfully.

If I ping the IP, I either get a "Destination host is unreachable" if I have
not established an internet connection or a "Request timed out" message if I
have dialled up and connected to the internet. I have tried resetting the
router to the factory defaults, but still get the same results.

The manual says to clear "Automatically detect Settings", "Use Automatic
configuration script" and "Use a proxy server" in Internet options for the
LAN Settings. If I do this, IE just closes itself and when I reopen it, any
changes I made have been lost.

Can anybody help me to get access to the router settings so that I can get
everything working again and switch security on?

First of all to reset many routers you are required to hold down the reset
button for a minute. This seems like a strange design but I would try
holding down this button for a minute or so and then see if the factory
defaults are reset... Otherwise you can always know what the IP address of
your router is by opening up a command window and typing ipconfig. Your
router's IP address will be the address of your default gateway.

Also to access the web page of your route you may have to make sure that all
the settings in IE are cleared. To do this open up IE and go to tools,
internet options, connections, LAN settings... make sure everything is
unchecked on this page and then click ok.

--
Jeff Baziuk
Microsoft Corporation

and confers no rights.