Windows XP crashes on USB flash drive insertion

I've tried a few different brands / models of USB flash drives on my
notebook computer (Dell Latitude C840), each one results in a blue screen of
death.

A co-worker has the same model of laptop, also running Windows XP (not sure
which service pack), and he has no problems at all. They are good working
flash drives.

Neither rebooting with a flash drive in the USB port nor hot-insertion of a
flash drive could be accomplished successfully until I installed SP2. Now
with SP2 I can boot with a flash drive but I still cannot perform
hot-insertion without a blue screen of death.

XP seems to be using generic removeable storage device drivers when
detecting the flash drives.

XP has no problem with my external hard drive for which I primarily use
Fireware but it also runs fine with USB.

If anyone could help me identify how to resolve hot insertion of flash
drives, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Jon

"Jon Davis" <jon@REMOVE.ME.jondavis.net> wrote:

>I've tried a few different brands / models of USB flash drives on my
>notebook computer (Dell Latitude C840), each one results in a blue screen of
>death.
>
>A co-worker has the same model of laptop, also running Windows XP (not sure
>which service pack), and he has no problems at all. They are good working
>flash drives.
>
>Neither rebooting with a flash drive in the USB port nor hot-insertion of a
>flash drive could be accomplished successfully until I installed SP2. Now
>with SP2 I can boot with a flash drive but I still cannot perform
>hot-insertion without a blue screen of death.
>
>XP seems to be using generic removeable storage device drivers when
>detecting the flash drives.
>
>XP has no problem with my external hard drive for which I primarily use
>Fireware but it also runs fine with USB.
>
>If anyone could help me identify how to resolve hot insertion of flash
>drives, I would appreciate it.

In order to help you to resolve this problem we need the complete text
of the B.S.O.D. error message, including all of the parameters.

Post that back here and we will see what we can determine from that.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

> In order to help you to resolve this problem we need the complete text
> of the B.S.O.D. error message, including all of the parameters.
>
> Post that back here and we will see what we can determine from that.

The error is NO_MORE_IRP_STACK_LOCATIONS, and judging from Google...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=NO_MORE_IRP_STACK_LOCATIONS

.... it would seem I little choice than to reformat the HD, but I do very
much hope that this isn't the case if it can be avoided. Wouldn't it be so
wonderful if I only have to uninstall the drivers and have Windows
repopulate them, or make a minor registry setting change....

Incidentally, like I said, the flash ram works fine if I boot w/ it in the
USB port, so it would seem to be good flash RAM and fine USB drivers.

Jon

> In order to help you to resolve this problem we need the complete text
> of the B.S.O.D. error message, including all of the parameters.
>
> Post that back here and we will see what we can determine from that.

The only parameters are numeric.

0x00000035 (0x865C3898, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Jon

"Jon Davis" <jon@REMOVE.ME.jondavis.net> wrote:

>The error is NO_MORE_IRP_STACK_LOCATIONS, and judging from Google...
>
>http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=NO_MORE_IRP_STACK_LOCATIONS
>
>... it would seem I little choice than to reformat the HD, but I do very
>much hope that this isn't the case if it can be avoided. Wouldn't it be so
>wonderful if I only have to uninstall the drivers and have Windows
>repopulate them, or make a minor registry setting change....
>
>Incidentally, like I said, the flash ram works fine if I boot w/ it in the
>USB port, so it would seem to be good flash RAM and fine USB drivers.
>
>Jon

Hi Jon

From what I can find this does not appear to be a very common error
with Windows XP. Most of the articles regarding this error are with
respect to Windows 2000 or older versions of Windows NT.

It does appear to be a driver related issue in most instances,
although there are also references to defective RAM as a possible
culprit.

Have you checked the Dell website for any Windows XP driver updates
for your Dell Latitude C840? There appears to be quite an extensive
list, including a flash BIOS update.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

It's a software issue; like I said, the problem does not occur if I boot
with it in the USB port, and when I do that then I am able to navigate the
flash RAM without problems. It's also a configuration issue because my
co-worker has the same model of laptop and it works fine for him. I've
updated the BIOS to the latest, no change.

I blame Microsoft Windows XP for this, since it is providing the same
generic drivers for all flash brands/models I've tried.

Guess I'll have to reinstall Windows XP sometime.

But thanks anyway. :-/

Jon

"Jon Davis" <jon@REMOVE.ME.jondavis.net> wrote:

>It's a software issue; like I said, the problem does not occur if I boot
>with it in the USB port, and when I do that then I am able to navigate the
>flash RAM without problems. It's also a configuration issue because my
>co-worker has the same model of laptop and it works fine for him. I've
>updated the BIOS to the latest, no change.
>
>I blame Microsoft Windows XP for this, since it is providing the same
>generic drivers for all flash brands/models I've tried.
>
>Guess I'll have to reinstall Windows XP sometime.
>
>But thanks anyway. :-/
>
>Jon

Are you sure it is Microsoft's fault? Drivers, including USB drivers,
are the responsibility of the hardware manufacturer. Check with DELL
for updated motherboard/USB drivers for your specific model.

> Are you sure it is Microsoft's fault? Drivers, including USB drivers,
> are the responsibility of the hardware manufacturer.

This is not always true for generic drivers (such as the "Removable Storage
Device" drivers being used here). Microsoft has written many of these, and
in any case they certify them all and bundle them with Windows.

And I don't have problems with the USB port for other USB devices, and I use
several. The problem occurs only with USB flash RAM.

Jon

In message <qnp3411asqatsqlacn3j6cl2kk53jr5qln@4ax.com> Ron Martell
<ron.martell@gmail.com> wrote:

>"Jon Davis" <jon@REMOVE.ME.jondavis.net> wrote:
>
>>It's a software issue; like I said, the problem does not occur if I boot
>>with it in the USB port, and when I do that then I am able to navigate the
>>flash RAM without problems. It's also a configuration issue because my
>>co-worker has the same model of laptop and it works fine for him. I've
>>updated the BIOS to the latest, no change.
>>
>>I blame Microsoft Windows XP for this, since it is providing the same
>>generic drivers for all flash brands/models I've tried.
>>
>>Guess I'll have to reinstall Windows XP sometime.
>>
>>But thanks anyway. :-/
>>
>>Jon
>>

>Are you sure it is Microsoft's fault? Drivers, including USB drivers,
>are the responsibility of the hardware manufacturer. Check with DELL
>for updated motherboard/USB drivers for your specific model.

If they're supplied by Microsoft and are considered certified, I would
disagree -- Microsoft IS responsible.

Why? Because they spout off problems with non-certified drivers and
claim that certified drivers are better. This makes Microsoft
implicitly responsible for them.

--
News: CIVIL SERVANT STAYS AWAKE ALL SHIFT LONG
"Man, I've really got to cut back on the caffeine" he says