Mother Board upgrade without having to Fdisk

I have a ASUS A7N8X-X installed at this time.
I want to upgrade to a ASUS A7N8X-E-Deluxe (should have bought it
originally, pound fullish, penny wise).

This is my DeskTop Info:

Maxtor 6Y120P0
Windows XP Home w/SP2
AMD Athlon XP 2166MHz
Phoenix ASUS A7N8X-X APCI BIOS
NVIDIA GeForce FX5200 Video card

What I need to know is will my OS see the NEW MB Bios Like a 'plug & play',
or will I have to reformat the HDD & reinstall OS to see the new Bios. (
that is what I had to do when I upgraded from a MSI mb. Or is there an other
way by software.

Any info will be helpful.

In article <3CD7F734-C371-4BE8-9E62-BBCAA50B7F05@microsoft.com>,
BogeyRon@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> I have a ASUS A7N8X-X installed at this time.
> I want to upgrade to a ASUS A7N8X-E-Deluxe (should have bought it
> originally, pound fullish, penny wise).
>
> This is my DeskTop Info:
>
> Maxtor 6Y120P0
> Windows XP Home w/SP2
> AMD Athlon XP 2166MHz
> Phoenix ASUS A7N8X-X APCI BIOS
> NVIDIA GeForce FX5200 Video card
>
> What I need to know is will my OS see the NEW MB Bios Like a 'plug & play',
> or will I have to reformat the HDD & reinstall OS to see the new Bios. (
> that is what I had to do when I upgraded from a MSI mb. Or is there an other
> way by software.
>
> Any info will be helpful.

Before you completely wipe out your installation of Windows, try doing a
Repair install after you change your motherboard.

This will retain most settings and the file structure of XP.

A "Repair" install of XP will usually work after a motherboard-
replacement.

--
Donald L McDaniel
Please post reply to original

In addition to Mike and Donald,

Backup your data to a non-boot hdd or DVD/CD media with your old board
before proceeding any further. Just in case.

r.

"BogeyRon" <BogeyRon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a ASUS A7N8X-X installed at this time.
> I want to upgrade to a ASUS A7N8X-E-Deluxe (should have bought it
> originally, pound fullish, penny wise).
>
> This is my DeskTop Info:
>
> Maxtor 6Y120P0
> Windows XP Home w/SP2
> AMD Athlon XP 2166MHz
> Phoenix ASUS A7N8X-X APCI BIOS
> NVIDIA GeForce FX5200 Video card
>
> What I need to know is will my OS see the NEW MB Bios Like a 'plug &
> play',
> or will I have to reformat the HDD & reinstall OS to see the new Bios. (
> that is what I had to do when I upgraded from a MSI mb. Or is there an
> other
> way by software.
>
> Any info will be helpful.

Ron

Take a look here.. on the left side of the webpage, you will see options..
read the section on REPAIR installs.. Michael covers all exits..

http://michaelstevenstech.com/

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"BogeyRon" <BogeyRon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a ASUS A7N8X-X installed at this time.
> I want to upgrade to a ASUS A7N8X-E-Deluxe (should have bought it
> originally, pound fullish, penny wise).
>
> This is my DeskTop Info:
>
> Maxtor 6Y120P0
> Windows XP Home w/SP2
> AMD Athlon XP 2166MHz
> Phoenix ASUS A7N8X-X APCI BIOS
> NVIDIA GeForce FX5200 Video card
>
> What I need to know is will my OS see the NEW MB Bios Like a 'plug &
> play',
> or will I have to reformat the HDD & reinstall OS to see the new Bios. (
> that is what I had to do when I upgraded from a MSI mb. Or is there an
> other
> way by software.
>
> Any info will be helpful.

anna

"BogeyRon" <BogeyRon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a ASUS A7N8X-X installed at this time.
> I want to upgrade to a ASUS A7N8X-E-Deluxe (should have bought it
> originally, pound fullish, penny wise).
>
> This is my DeskTop Info:
>
> Maxtor 6Y120P0
> Windows XP Home w/SP2
> AMD Athlon XP 2166MHz
> Phoenix ASUS A7N8X-X APCI BIOS
> NVIDIA GeForce FX5200 Video card
>
> What I need to know is will my OS see the NEW MB Bios Like a 'plug &
> play',
> or will I have to reformat the HDD & reinstall OS to see the new Bios. (
> that is what I had to do when I upgraded from a MSI mb. Or is there an
> other
> way by software.
>
> Any info will be helpful.

BogeyRon:
I see you've rec'd a number of responses indicating that you will have to
perform a Repair install of XP following your motherboard change. It's
possible and perhaps even likely that you will have to do such, but it's
*not* a certainty by any means. There's a strong chance that you'll be able
to boot to a Desktop following the change of MBs, thus obviating the need
for a Repair install. So try an initial boot after you've changed the
motherboard.

Now about your proposed "upgrade" to the ASUS A7N8X-E-Deluxe MB...
This is a fine motherboard in my experience, rock-solid stable - one of
ASUS's classic MBs. But the one you presently have, the A7N8X-X is likewise
a fine MB and really not too different in features from the A7N8X-E-Deluxe
model to my knowledge. The latter does have integrated SATA support and ASUS
Wi-fi support. But aside from those, I can't recall any other significant
features or capability the Deluxe model possesses that the A7N8X-X doesn't
have. Naturally if the SATA support and Wi-fi features are important to you,
then it's understandable about your desire to change MBs. Perhaps there are
additional features/capability that the Deluxe one has in comparison to the
X model that I'm unaware of.
Anna

Since there are so many similarities between the two boards(same chipset and
other chips) as confirmed from Asus site:

http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=A7N8X-E%20Deluxe&langs=09

&

http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=A7N8X-X&langs=09

I suggest you just try replacing the board before a repair install. Remove
the old motherboard, reinstall the new one and try booting Windows, it may
just work.