Mother Board upgrade without having to Fdisk

I have a ASUS A7N8X-X installed at this time.
I want to upgrade to a ASUS A7N8X-E-Deluxe (should have bought it
originally, pound fullish, penny wise).

This is my DeskTop Info:

Maxtor 6Y120P0
Windows XP Home w/SP2
AMD Athlon XP 2166MHz
Phoenix ASUS A7N8X-X APCI BIOS
NVIDIA GeForce FX5200 Video card

What I need to know is will my OS see the NEW MB Bios Like a 'plug & play',
or will I have to reformat the HDD & reinstall OS to see the new Bios. (
that is what I had to do when I upgraded from a MSI mb. Or is there an other
way by software.

Any info will be helpful.
5 answers Last reply
More about mother board upgrade fdisk

    In article <3CD7F734-C371-4BE8-9E62-BBCAA50B7F05@microsoft.com>,
    BogeyRon@discussions.microsoft.com says...
    > I have a ASUS A7N8X-X installed at this time.
    > I want to upgrade to a ASUS A7N8X-E-Deluxe (should have bought it
    > originally, pound fullish, penny wise).
    >
    > This is my DeskTop Info:
    >
    > Maxtor 6Y120P0
    > Windows XP Home w/SP2
    > AMD Athlon XP 2166MHz
    > Phoenix ASUS A7N8X-X APCI BIOS
    > NVIDIA GeForce FX5200 Video card
    >
    > What I need to know is will my OS see the NEW MB Bios Like a 'plug & play',
    > or will I have to reformat the HDD & reinstall OS to see the new Bios. (
    > that is what I had to do when I upgraded from a MSI mb. Or is there an other
    > way by software.
    >
    > Any info will be helpful.

    Before you completely wipe out your installation of Windows, try doing a
    Repair install after you change your motherboard.

    This will retain most settings and the file structure of XP.

    A "Repair" install of XP will usually work after a motherboard-
    replacement.

    --
    Donald L McDaniel
    Please post reply to original

    In addition to Mike and Donald,

    Backup your data to a non-boot hdd or DVD/CD media with your old board
    before proceeding any further. Just in case.

    r.

    "BogeyRon" <BogeyRon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have a ASUS A7N8X-X installed at this time.
    > I want to upgrade to a ASUS A7N8X-E-Deluxe (should have bought it
    > originally, pound fullish, penny wise).
    >
    > This is my DeskTop Info:
    >
    > Maxtor 6Y120P0
    > Windows XP Home w/SP2
    > AMD Athlon XP 2166MHz
    > Phoenix ASUS A7N8X-X APCI BIOS
    > NVIDIA GeForce FX5200 Video card
    >
    > What I need to know is will my OS see the NEW MB Bios Like a 'plug &
    > play',
    > or will I have to reformat the HDD & reinstall OS to see the new Bios. (
    > that is what I had to do when I upgraded from a MSI mb. Or is there an
    > other
    > way by software.
    >
    > Any info will be helpful.

    Ron

    Take a look here.. on the left side of the webpage, you will see options..
    read the section on REPAIR installs.. Michael covers all exits..

    http://michaelstevenstech.com/

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/user

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "BogeyRon" <BogeyRon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have a ASUS A7N8X-X installed at this time.
    > I want to upgrade to a ASUS A7N8X-E-Deluxe (should have bought it
    > originally, pound fullish, penny wise).
    >
    > This is my DeskTop Info:
    >
    > Maxtor 6Y120P0
    > Windows XP Home w/SP2
    > AMD Athlon XP 2166MHz
    > Phoenix ASUS A7N8X-X APCI BIOS
    > NVIDIA GeForce FX5200 Video card
    >
    > What I need to know is will my OS see the NEW MB Bios Like a 'plug &
    > play',
    > or will I have to reformat the HDD & reinstall OS to see the new Bios. (
    > that is what I had to do when I upgraded from a MSI mb. Or is there an
    > other
    > way by software.
    >
    > Any info will be helpful.

    "BogeyRon" <BogeyRon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have a ASUS A7N8X-X installed at this time.
    > I want to upgrade to a ASUS A7N8X-E-Deluxe (should have bought it
    > originally, pound fullish, penny wise).
    >
    > This is my DeskTop Info:
    >
    > Maxtor 6Y120P0
    > Windows XP Home w/SP2
    > AMD Athlon XP 2166MHz
    > Phoenix ASUS A7N8X-X APCI BIOS
    > NVIDIA GeForce FX5200 Video card
    >
    > What I need to know is will my OS see the NEW MB Bios Like a 'plug &
    > play',
    > or will I have to reformat the HDD & reinstall OS to see the new Bios. (
    > that is what I had to do when I upgraded from a MSI mb. Or is there an
    > other
    > way by software.
    >
    > Any info will be helpful.

    BogeyRon:
    I see you've rec'd a number of responses indicating that you will have to
    perform a Repair install of XP following your motherboard change. It's
    possible and perhaps even likely that you will have to do such, but it's
    *not* a certainty by any means. There's a strong chance that you'll be able
    to boot to a Desktop following the change of MBs, thus obviating the need
    for a Repair install. So try an initial boot after you've changed the
    motherboard.

    Now about your proposed "upgrade" to the ASUS A7N8X-E-Deluxe MB...
    This is a fine motherboard in my experience, rock-solid stable - one of
    ASUS's classic MBs. But the one you presently have, the A7N8X-X is likewise
    a fine MB and really not too different in features from the A7N8X-E-Deluxe
    model to my knowledge. The latter does have integrated SATA support and ASUS
    Wi-fi support. But aside from those, I can't recall any other significant
    features or capability the Deluxe model possesses that the A7N8X-X doesn't
    have. Naturally if the SATA support and Wi-fi features are important to you,
    then it's understandable about your desire to change MBs. Perhaps there are
    additional features/capability that the Deluxe one has in comparison to the
    X model that I'm unaware of.
    Anna

    Since there are so many similarities between the two boards(same chipset and
    other chips) as confirmed from Asus site:

    http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=A7N8X-E%20Deluxe&langs=09

    &

    http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=A7N8X-X&langs=09

    I suggest you just try replacing the board before a repair install. Remove
    the old motherboard, reinstall the new one and try booting Windows, it may
    just work.

    "BogeyRon" <BogeyRon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have a ASUS A7N8X-X installed at this time.
    > I want to upgrade to a ASUS A7N8X-E-Deluxe (should have bought it
    > originally, pound fullish, penny wise).
    >
    > This is my DeskTop Info:
    >
    > Maxtor 6Y120P0
    > Windows XP Home w/SP2
    > AMD Athlon XP 2166MHz
    > Phoenix ASUS A7N8X-X APCI BIOS
    > NVIDIA GeForce FX5200 Video card
    >
    > What I need to know is will my OS see the NEW MB Bios Like a 'plug &
    > play',
    > or will I have to reformat the HDD & reinstall OS to see the new Bios. (
    > that is what I had to do when I upgraded from a MSI mb. Or is there an
    > other
    > way by software.
    >
    > Any info will be helpful.

Asus Windows XP