MAME on a portable hard drive?

MAME (and I think MAMEWah) seem to run directly from their folders,
without installing anything in the registry etc. Therefore, would it be
possible to install MAME, MAMEWah and roms etc onto a portable hard
drive? If you set up all of the paths using a mapped network drive
(say, X:) then you could plug the hard drive into any computer,
establish your X: and then your complete MAME setup would be available.

Does this seem right?

- Capn Stoobie.
17 answers Last reply
More about mame portable hard drive

    On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 15:34:40 +1000, Capn Stoobie wrote:

    > MAME (and I think MAMEWah) seem to run directly from their folders,
    > without installing anything in the registry etc. Therefore, would it be
    > possible to install MAME, MAMEWah and roms etc onto a portable hard
    > drive? If you set up all of the paths using a mapped network drive
    > (say, X:) then you could plug the hard drive into any computer,
    > establish your X: and then your complete MAME setup would be available.
    >
    > Does this seem right?
    >
    > - Capn Stoobie.

    Yep. You might have to fiddle with the computer's joystick settings, but
    other than that, you can do it pretty easily. There are 4GB USB
    microdrives out right now for less than a hundred bucks. I've thought
    about throwing a few emulators and a bunch of roms on one to have
    something to carry around in case a game breaks out or something. :)

    GregoryD

    Works fine using Mame32.
    I've been using a portable HD/MAME setup for about 2 yrs. I use it also to
    quickly put it back on the regular computer when Windows gets screwed up to
    the point of no return.

    Ed

    GregoryD wrote:
    > On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 15:34:40 +1000, Capn Stoobie wrote:
    >

    >>MAME (and I think MAMEWah) seem to run directly from their folders,
    >>without installing anything in the registry etc. Therefore, would it be
    >>possible to install MAME, MAMEWah and roms etc onto a portable hard
    >>drive? If you set up all of the paths using a mapped network drive
    >>(say, X:) then you could plug the hard drive into any computer,
    >>establish your X: and then your complete MAME setup would be available.
    >>
    >>Does this seem right?
    >>
    >>- Capn Stoobie.
    >

    > Yep. You might have to fiddle with the computer's joystick settings, but
    > other than that, you can do it pretty easily. There are 4GB USB
    > microdrives out right now for less than a hundred bucks. I've thought
    > about throwing a few emulators and a bunch of roms on one to have
    > something to carry around in case a game breaks out or something. :)
    >
    > GregoryD

    Here's a thought:

    1) Mount a USB hub /inside/ your USB arcade controller (X-Acrade
    Solo/Duo or whatever)
    2) Rerun the controller's USB cable inside the case
    3) Run the hub's cable out through the hole for the controller's
    cable
    4) Plug the controller and your thumb drive into the hub (don't have
    enough space on your thumb drive? Plug in one (or two) more and
    point MAME to them - ROMs on one, everything else on another)

    Voila! PnP MAME to go!

    --
    Thnik about it!
    Dead_Dad

    > Here's a thought:
    >
    > 1) Mount a USB hub /inside/ your USB arcade controller (X-Acrade
    > Solo/Duo or whatever)
    > 2) Rerun the controller's USB cable inside the case
    > 3) Run the hub's cable out through the hole for the controller's
    > cable
    > 4) Plug the controller and your thumb drive into the hub (don't have
    > enough space on your thumb drive? Plug in one (or two) more and
    > point MAME to them - ROMs on one, everything else on another)
    >
    > Voila! PnP MAME to go!
    >
    > --
    > Thnik about it!
    > Dead_Dad

    Fabulous Idea!

    I have a X-Arcade....... I might give this a go!!!!!

    "GregoryD" <hagar@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Yep. You might have to fiddle with the computer's joystick settings, but
    > other than that, you can do it pretty easily. There are 4GB USB
    > microdrives out right now for less than a hundred bucks. I've thought

    I would rather recommend buying separately a used 2.5" HD and a new 2.5" HD
    USB case.
    On eBay, I think you can get more than 40 GB with 100 bucks total.

    AS

    Amedeo Storni wrote:
    > "GregoryD" <hagar@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Yep. You might have to fiddle with the computer's joystick settings, but
    >>other than that, you can do it pretty easily. There are 4GB USB
    >>microdrives out right now for less than a hundred bucks. I've thought
    >

    > I would rather recommend buying separately a used 2.5" HD and a new 2.5" HD
    > USB case.
    > On eBay, I think you can get more than 40 GB with 100 bucks total.
    >
    > AS

    *oooOOOooo!* Change 'thumb drive' to 'great big USB drive' in my 'PnP
    MAME-to-go' idea. Sweeeeet.

    --
    Thnik about it!
    Dead_Dad

    Dead_Dad's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his body
    were:
    > Amedeo Storni wrote:
    >> "GregoryD" <hagar@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Yep. You might have to fiddle with the computer's joystick settings, but
    >>>other than that, you can do it pretty easily. There are 4GB USB
    >>>microdrives out right now for less than a hundred bucks. I've thought
    >> I would rather recommend buying separately a used 2.5" HD and a new 2.5" HD
    >> USB case.
    >> On eBay, I think you can get more than 40 GB with 100 bucks total.
    > *oooOOOooo!* Change 'thumb drive' to 'great big USB drive' in my 'PnP
    > MAME-to-go' idea. Sweeeeet.

    Also, if you go with a 3.5" drive and casing, you can get it cheaper yet

    .... after inserting a credit, tat-2 <tat-2@rcn.com> leaned forward and
    saw...

    [top-posting corrected]
    >> On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 15:34:40 +1000, Capn Stoobie wrote:
    >>

    >>> MAME (and I think MAMEWah) seem to run directly from their folders,
    >>> without installing anything in the registry etc.
    >
    >Works fine using Mame32.

    MAME32 writes initial settings to the registry, though, whereas MAME
    keeps its settings in a local .INI file (I think) - which means MAME32
    is less portable.

    --
    "It's well past midnight as I lie in a semi-conscious state.
    I dream of people fighting me..."

    * 'Dungeon' Dave wrote in alt.games.mame:
    > ... after inserting a credit, tat-2 <tat-2@rcn.com> leaned forward and
    > saw...

    > [top-posting corrected]

    >>Works fine using Mame32.

    > MAME32 writes initial settings to the registry, though, whereas MAME
    > keeps its settings in a local .INI file (I think) - which means MAME32
    > is less portable.

    Reg entries have been removed in favor of INI files. Happened a few
    versions ago.

    --
    David
    Aberdeen was so small that when the family with the car went

    > 1) Mount a USB hub /inside/ your USB arcade controller (X-Acrade
    > Solo/Duo or whatever)
    > 2) Rerun the controller's USB cable inside the case
    > 3) Run the hub's cable out through the hole for the controller's
    > cable
    > 4) Plug the controller and your thumb drive into the hub (don't have
    > enough space on your thumb drive? Plug in one (or two) more and
    > point MAME to them - ROMs on one, everything else on another)
    >
    > Voila! PnP MAME to go!

    I'm french, and there is something i can't understand in your project,
    do you have photo , please ? (easiest way to understand) ;)

    TrucMuche wrote:
    >>1) Mount a USB hub /inside/ your USB arcade controller (X-Acrade
    >> Solo/Duo or whatever)
    >>2) Rerun the controller's USB cable inside the case
    >>3) Run the hub's cable out through the hole for the controller's
    >> cable
    >>4) Plug the controller and your thumb drive into the hub (don't have
    >> enough space on your thumb drive? Plug in one (or two) more and
    >> point MAME to them - ROMs on one, everything else on another)
    >>
    >>Voila! PnP MAME to go!
    >>

    > I'm french, and there is something i can't understand in your project,
    > do you have photo , please ? (easiest way to understand) ;)

    Before (To computer)#
    #
    #
    #
    --------------------------------------------#-------------
    | # |
    | #<-USB cable |
    | # |
    | # |
    | # |
    | # |
    | # |
    | --------#----- |
    | | | |
    | | Controller | |
    | | | |
    | | Main | |
    | | | |
    | | Board | |
    | | | |
    | -------------- |

    After (To computer)#
    #
    #
    #
    --------------------------------------------#-------------
    | ------------ # |
    | ---------------- | | #<-USB cable |
    | | | | USB Out#============# |
    | | | | | |
    | | | | Hub | #=========# |
    | | USB | | | # # |
    | | | | | # # |
    | | Hard | | In | # --------#----- |
    | | | ---#----#--- # | | |
    | | Drive | # # # | Controller | |
    | | #=====# #=====# | | |
    | | | | Main | |
    | | | | | |
    | | | | Board | |
    | | | | | |
    | ---------------- -------------- |

    Clear enough?

    --
    Thnik about it!
    Dead_Dad

    On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 09:40:43 GMT, Dead_Dad
    <XXXspamtrap007@yahoo.comXXX> wrote:

    >TrucMuche wrote:
    >>>1) Mount a USB hub /inside/ your USB arcade controller (X-Acrade
    >>> Solo/Duo or whatever)
    >>>2) Rerun the controller's USB cable inside the case
    >>>3) Run the hub's cable out through the hole for the controller's
    >>> cable
    >>>4) Plug the controller and your thumb drive into the hub (don't have
    >>> enough space on your thumb drive? Plug in one (or two) more and
    >>> point MAME to them - ROMs on one, everything else on another)
    >>>
    >>>Voila! PnP MAME to go!
    >>>

    >> I'm french, and there is something i can't understand in your project,
    >> do you have photo , please ? (easiest way to understand) ;)
    >
    >Before (To computer)#
    > #
    > #
    > #
    >--------------------------------------------#-------------
    >| # |
    >| #<-USB cable |
    >| # |
    >| # |
    >| # |
    >| # |
    >| # |
    >| --------#----- |
    >| | | |
    >| | Controller | |
    >| | | |
    >| | Main | |
    >| | | |
    >| | Board | |
    >| | | |
    >| -------------- |
    >

    >After (To computer)#
    > #
    > #
    > #
    >--------------------------------------------#-------------
    >| ------------ # |
    >| ---------------- | | #<-USB cable |
    >| | | | USB Out#============# |
    >| | | | | |
    >| | | | Hub | #=========# |
    >| | USB | | | # # |
    >| | | | | # # |
    >| | Hard | | In | # --------#----- |
    >| | | ---#----#--- # | | |
    >| | Drive | # # # | Controller | |
    >| | #=====# #=====# | | |
    >| | | | Main | |
    >| | | | | |
    >| | | | Board | |
    >| | | | | |
    >| ---------------- -------------- |
    >

    >Clear enough?

    Almost like being there ;-)

    "Dead_Dad" <XXXspamtrap007@yahoo.comXXX> a écrit dans le message de
    > TrucMuche wrote:
    > >>1) Mount a USB hub /inside/ your USB arcade controller (X-Acrade
    > >> Solo/Duo or whatever)
    > >>2) Rerun the controller's USB cable inside the case
    > >>3) Run the hub's cable out through the hole for the controller's
    > >> cable
    > >>4) Plug the controller and your thumb drive into the hub (don't have
    > >> enough space on your thumb drive? Plug in one (or two) more and
    > >> point MAME to them - ROMs on one, everything else on another)
    > >>
    > >>Voila! PnP MAME to go!
    > >>

    > > I'm french, and there is something i can't understand in your project,
    > > do you have photo , please ? (easiest way to understand) ;)
    >
    > Before (To computer)#
    > #
    > #
    > #
    > --------------------------------------------#-------------
    > | # |
    > | #<-USB cable |
    > | # |
    > | # |
    > | # |
    > | # |
    > | # |
    > | --------#----- |
    > | | | |
    > | | Controller | |
    > | | | |
    > | | Main | |
    > | | | |
    > | | Board | |
    > | | | |
    > | -------------- |
    >

    > After (To computer)#
    > #
    > #
    > #
    > --------------------------------------------#-------------
    > | ------------ # |
    > | ---------------- | | #<-USB cable |
    > | | | | USB Out#============# |
    > | | | | | |
    > | | | | Hub | #=========# |
    > | | USB | | | # # |
    > | | | | | # # |
    > | | Hard | | In | # --------#----- |
    > | | | ---#----#--- # | | |
    > | | Drive | # # # | Controller | |
    > | | #=====# #=====# | | |
    > | | | | Main | |
    > | | | | | |
    > | | | | Board | |
    > | | | | | |
    > | ---------------- -------------- |
    >

    > Clear enough?
    >

    > --
    > Thnik about it!
    > Dead_Dad

    OOOHhh YEESS !!!
    like a photo,
    you're great,

    Thanks !!:)

    it's what i though, but was unsure @_@

    > GregoryD wrote:
    > > On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 15:34:40 +1000, Capn Stoobie wrote:
    > >

    > >>MAME (and I think MAMEWah) seem to run directly from their folders,
    > >>without installing anything in the registry etc. Therefore, would it be
    > >>possible to install MAME, MAMEWah and roms etc onto a portable hard
    > >>drive? If you set up all of the paths using a mapped network drive
    > >>(say, X:) then you could plug the hard drive into any computer,
    > >>establish your X: and then your complete MAME setup would be available.
    > >>
    > >>Does this seem right?
    > >>
    > >>- Capn Stoobie.
    > >

    > > Yep. You might have to fiddle with the computer's joystick settings,
    but
    > > other than that, you can do it pretty easily. There are 4GB USB
    > > microdrives out right now for less than a hundred bucks. I've thought
    > > about throwing a few emulators and a bunch of roms on one to have
    > > something to carry around in case a game breaks out or something. :)
    > >
    > > GregoryD
    > >

    > Here's a thought:
    >
    > 1) Mount a USB hub /inside/ your USB arcade controller (X-Acrade
    > Solo/Duo or whatever)
    > 2) Rerun the controller's USB cable inside the case
    > 3) Run the hub's cable out through the hole for the controller's
    > cable
    > 4) Plug the controller and your thumb drive into the hub (don't have
    > enough space on your thumb drive? Plug in one (or two) more and
    > point MAME to them - ROMs on one, everything else on another)
    >
    > Voila! PnP MAME to go!
    >
    > --
    > Thnik about it!
    > Dead_Dad

    and a mini PC (itx ?) inside the X-Cade ???? @_o
    what do you think about it ??

    just need to plug on TV or monitor , and power
    i dream (?)

    TrucMuche's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his body
    were:
    > and a mini PC (itx ?) inside the X-Cade ???? @_o
    > what do you think about it ??
    > just need to plug on TV or monitor , and power
    > i dream (?)

    Someone did something like that. They took a Sega Dreamcast two player
    arcade stick, and wedged in a mini ITX setup in it. got the link somewhere
    around here

    -----8<-----

    >>Clear enough?
    >>

    >>--
    >>Thnik about it!
    >>Dead_Dad
    >
    > OOOHhh YEESS !!!
    > like a photo,
    > you're great,
    >
    > Thanks !!:)
    >
    > it's what i though, but was unsure @_@

    No problem. Ah, the wonders of DOS Navigator.....

    --
    Thnik about it!
    Dead_Dad

    TrucMuche wrote:
    > "Dead_Dad" <XXXspamtrap007@yahoo.comXXX> a écrit dans le message de
    >
    >>GregoryD wrote:

    >>>Yep. You might have to fiddle with the computer's joystick settings,
    >
    > but
    >
    >>>other than that, you can do it pretty easily. There are 4GB USB
    >>>microdrives out right now for less than a hundred bucks. I've thought
    >>>about throwing a few emulators and a bunch of roms on one to have
    >>>something to carry around in case a game breaks out or something. :)
    >>>
    >>>GregoryD
    >>>

    >>Here's a thought:
    >>
    >>1) Mount a USB hub /inside/ your USB arcade controller (X-Acrade
    >> Solo/Duo or whatever)
    >>2) Rerun the controller's USB cable inside the case
    >>3) Run the hub's cable out through the hole for the controller's
    >> cable
    >>4) Plug the controller and your thumb drive into the hub (don't have
    >> enough space on your thumb drive? Plug in one (or two) more and
    >> point MAME to them - ROMs on one, everything else on another)
    >>
    >>Voila! PnP MAME to go!
    >>
    >>--
    >>Thnik about it!
    >>Dead_Dad
    >

    > and a mini PC (itx ?) inside the X-Cade ???? @_o
    > what do you think about it ??
    >
    > just need to plug on TV or monitor , and power
    > i dream (?)

    I thought of that about ten minutes after I posted. <G> Here is a
    low-rise TV output card ( http://tinyurl.com/4pxag ) that can be
    butchered to reduce its height while still offering both composite &
    s-video connectors. )You can also use a right-angle adapter
    ( http://tinyurl.com/4g3vy ) or riser card ( http://tinyurl.com/6ubsc )/
    ( http://tinyurl.com/6gmgr ) to reduce height.)

    I found it while trying to find a link to a hard-cover sized pc made by
    Shuttle. I also came across this little beauty
    ( http://tinyurl.com/5polc ), which is making me re-think building a
    cabinet. Maybe I'll just place one beside my amp, under my 56" DLP TV
    and just build an arcade /coffee table/ with one of those swing-up tops.
    (Well, a guy can /dream/, can't he? <G>)

    --
    Thnik about it!
    Dead_Dad

Portable Hard Drive Video Games