What is Double Sided DDR? (K8N NeO2plat)

Maybe a stupid question, but, what is the difference between single and
double sided?
Better yet, I have this memory:

CORSAIR XMS 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200)
Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model #: TWINX1024-3200C2PT

Is this Double sided?

Trying to figure out which DIMM slots to put these in...

TIA, GoBigSurf

> Maybe a stupid question, but, what is the difference between single and
> double sided?

I figured out double sided means chips on both sides of ram, I guess I can
look under the heat spreaders to find out... I had them installed in slot 1
& 3 and was having problems with some of my games, (I RMA's my BFG6800U
cause the fan was rattling so I figured there was a cooling problem). But
after going back over the manual, could I be experiencing stutters in games
like SC3 and HL2 cause of the memory location?

I am going to try slots 1&2 or 3&4 like the books says to reach max speed of
400.
But since I haven't got my card back, I can't really test it out at the
moment...

GoBigSurf

K8NNeo2Plat
AMD64-4000

Gollum

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2001

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 02:10:54 GMT, "GBS" <GBS@peoplepc.com> wrote:

>Maybe a stupid question, but, what is the difference between single and
>double sided?
>Better yet, I have this memory:
>
>CORSAIR XMS 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200)
>Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model #: TWINX1024-3200C2PT
>
>Is this Double sided?
>
>Trying to figure out which DIMM slots to put these in...
>
>TIA, GoBigSurf

Double sided memory has two "banks" on a stick. Since some mb's can
only access 4 banks, you could only use two double sided sticks even
though you have three slots. From what I have read there is a slight
performance advantage to using single sided memory.

That is pretty fancy memory you have, but I can't tell from Corsair's
site if it's single or double sided. It should not matter since you
are only using two sticks. Or your mb may support more than four
banks.

As far as Dual Channel, put them in the slots your manual says. For
MSI, probably one in the green and one in the purple.( IIRC 1 & 3 or
2&4)

HTH
Gollum

You may very well be experiencing the GeForce 68xx GPU with nForce 3 chipset
stuttering problem when running D3D applications. OpenGL apps don't seem to
have this problem with this GPU/chipset combination.

Just Google on GeForce 6800 Ultra nForce 3 stuttering problem, and you'll
see what I mean.

I have this same mobo, but I use a GeForce 6800GT and have encountered this
problem.

"GBS" <GBS@peoplepc.com> wrote in message

>> Maybe a stupid question, but, what is the difference between single and
>> double sided?
>
> I figured out double sided means chips on both sides of ram, I guess I can
> look under the heat spreaders to find out... I had them installed in slot
> 1 & 3 and was having problems with some of my games, (I RMA's my BFG6800U
> cause the fan was rattling so I figured there was a cooling problem). But
> after going back over the manual, could I be experiencing stutters in
> games like SC3 and HL2 cause of the memory location?
>
> I am going to try slots 1&2 or 3&4 like the books says to reach max speed
> of 400.
> But since I haven't got my card back, I can't really test it out at the
> moment...
>
> GoBigSurf
>
> K8NNeo2Plat
> AMD64-4000

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 02:10:54 GMT, "GBS" <GBS@peoplepc.com> wrote:

>Maybe a stupid question, but, what is the difference between single and
>double sided?
>Better yet, I have this memory:
>
>CORSAIR XMS 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200)
>Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model #: TWINX1024-3200C2PT
>
>Is this Double sided?
>
>Trying to figure out which DIMM slots to put these in...
>
>TIA, GoBigSurf

I have the same memory. Put one stick in the green slot and one stick
in the purple.

MSI could have saved their customers a lot of aggravation if they had
done like the rest of the industry and color coded their dual-channel
configs to be the same color.

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 02:21:29 GMT, "Homer J. Simpson"
<hjsimpson@springfield.usa> wrote:

>You may very well be experiencing the GeForce 68xx GPU with nForce 3 chipset
>stuttering problem when running D3D applications. OpenGL apps don't seem to
>have this problem with this GPU/chipset combination.
>
>Just Google on GeForce 6800 Ultra nForce 3 stuttering problem, and you'll
>see what I mean.
>
>I have this same mobo, but I use a GeForce 6800GT and have encountered this
>problem.

Nah, I think he's just having stability problems due to having the
memory in the wrong slots. Logic would tell you to go either
green/green or purple/purple but MSI in their infinite wisdom decided
that purple/green makes more sense??