K7N2 Delta2 Platinum USB Problem

darkfire

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2005

Recently my computer is taking a long to boot in both the POST stage
and when Windows XP gets going. I've tracked down the problem to the
onboard USB chipset on my motherboard as when I turn it off suddenly
the machine boots quickly as normal.

This whole thing started when I had a hard system crash about two weeks
ago. Ever since then it has been doing this.

I've tried doing various things with the USB chipset, turning it on
with different other options (to make sure that it isn't anything else
upsetting the USB chipset), setting it to V1.1 instead of V2.0, but no
joy.

The stupid thing is though once the machine boots, everything seems to
be OK. My mouse and keyboard work OK, as does my joystick (an X52) and
MP3 player (iAudio X5). The only problem is that 5 minute boot time...

So other than putting up with it, is there anything else I can do?

As far as I am aware I have the latest BIOS (B.5) on the motherboard
and all the latest drivers and updates.

My system spec is as follows:

AMD 3200+ XP
MSI K7N2 Delta2 Platinum
1Gb DDR RAM (running at 200Mhz & dual)
Nvidia 6600GT 128Mb
Creative Audigy I
Realtek 100Mbit Network Card

Running Windows XP + SP2.

"Darkfire" <bryn@darkfire-studios.com> wrote:
>Recently my computer is taking a long to boot in both the POST stage
>and when Windows XP gets going. I've tracked down the problem to the
>onboard USB chipset on my motherboard as when I turn it off suddenly
>the machine boots quickly as normal.
>
>This whole thing started when I had a hard system crash about two weeks
>ago. Ever since then it has been doing this.
>
>I've tried doing various things with the USB chipset, turning it on
>with different other options (to make sure that it isn't anything else
>upsetting the USB chipset), setting it to V1.1 instead of V2.0, but no
>joy.
>
>The stupid thing is though once the machine boots, everything seems to
>be OK. My mouse and keyboard work OK, as does my joystick (an X52) and
>MP3 player (iAudio X5). The only problem is that 5 minute boot time...
>
>So other than putting up with it, is there anything else I can do?
>
>As far as I am aware I have the latest BIOS (B.5) on the motherboard
>and all the latest drivers and updates.
>
>My system spec is as follows:
>
>AMD 3200+ XP
>MSI K7N2 Delta2 Platinum
>1Gb DDR RAM (running at 200Mhz & dual)
>Nvidia 6600GT 128Mb
>Creative Audigy I
>Realtek 100Mbit Network Card
>
>Running Windows XP + SP2.
Do you have an old ps/2 keyboard and mouse? It sounds like you might have some
sort of peripheral hardware problem.

darkfire

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2005

Bill Ko wrote:
> Do you have an old ps/2 keyboard and mouse? It sounds like you might have some
> sort of peripheral hardware problem.

Thanks for the reply.

Both my keyboard (a Microsoft Digital Media Pro) and mouse (a Logitech
MX1000 Laser Mouse) can connect either by USB or PS/2. Normally I would
use the USB, but since I've turned the USB hub off (so my machine can
boot in less than five minutes) I'm using them in PS/2 mode.

I've tried running them with the PS/2 connection and having the USB hub
on but it still takes ages to boot, so I don't think it those that are
making the USB hub complain. Running it without any keyboard or mouse
and nothing connecting to USB at all still has the same problem as
well...

This is driving me mad, since the bloody thing works once it boots, it
just takes so damn long with the USB hub on...

"Darkfire" <bryn@darkfire-studios.com> wrote:
>mini-snip<
>Both my keyboard (a Microsoft Digital Media Pro) and mouse (a Logitech
>MX1000 Laser Mouse) can connect either by USB or PS/2. Normally I would
>use the USB, but since I've turned the USB hub off (so my machine can
>boot in less than five minutes) I'm using them in PS/2 mode.
>
>I've tried running them with the PS/2 connection and having the USB hub
>on but it still takes ages to boot, so I don't think it those that are
>making the USB hub complain. Running it without any keyboard or mouse
>and nothing connecting to USB at all still has the same problem as
>well...
>
>This is driving me mad, since the bloody thing works once it boots, it
>just takes so damn long with the USB hub on...
I see you've done your homework. Now it does look like it could be a
motherboard issue. You *did* say it has a hard time getting past POST, right?

Bill

darkfire

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2005

Yes. If I turn the USB hub on, then the POST takes about five minutes
to complete, plus it takes five minutes more to load Windows XP. Once
it all loads however, the USB ports seem to work (and at a good speed
as well, copying files to my MP3 player happen quickly enough).

If I turn the USB hub off, then my computer POST instantly as it
should, and Windows XP loads quickly as well...but of course no USB
full stop.