I'm upgrading my department from Windows 2000 to Windows XP. One problem
In the upgrade I can not solve is that now users can not install/use USB
pen drives without an administrator install the device.

We have our users set to be Power Users and prefer not making them local
administrators. This was never a problem under Windows 2000, Power User
were able to use USB drives without the help of an administrator.

Any ideas, any policy I could set?

Thanks,
Mike

hi ,

it seems that you dont want usb storage/pen drives to be used in your system

here is the solution

open c:\windows\inf

search for usbstor.inf and usbstor.pnf

right click each file and select the security tab and deny access to all
other than administrator

hope this solves your problem
regards
senthil

I want Users (or people listed as Power Users) to be able to
install/use USB drives.

Mike

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 11:17:01 -0800, senthil kumar wrote:

> hi ,
>
> it seems that you dont want usb storage/pen drives to be used in your
> system
>
> here is the solution
>
> open c:\windows\inf
>
> search for usbstor.inf and usbstor.pnf
>
> right click each file and select the security tab and deny access to all
> other than administrator
>
> hope this solves your problem
> regards
> senthil

hi ,

then add the power user group and users you want to exclude and give them
full access

regards
senthil

peter

Hi,

Try this way:

Go to Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Local Security Policy
In the left pane, double click the Local Policy Folder, click Security Options
In the right pane, Select Devices: Allowed to format and eject removable
media,
under the security setting, right click on the Administrators, click
Properties, select Adminstrator and Power Users, click Apply and OK.
Reboot the PC and check to ensure it works.

BTW, take care as any one can now just plug in the USB drive and download
data files. It is a security leakage.

Peter

"senthil kumar" wrote:

> hi ,
>
> it seems that you dont want usb storage/pen drives to be used in your system
>
> here is the solution
>
> open c:\windows\inf
>
> search for usbstor.inf and usbstor.pnf
>
> right click each file and select the security tab and deny access to all
> other than administrator
>
> hope this solves your problem
> regards
> senthil

BestITPros

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
Hi,

You can try the USB Drive Monitor software its free.

You can use the USB Drive Monitor to enable and disable USB Mass Storage Devices on your PC Manually or Automatically.

There are many options in this program, sound and text alerts, Detailed Log File that saves information about the Foreign USB Drive inserted including a unique hardware identifier for each USB Drive, access time, file contents....etc.

This program will allow you to use your Personal USB Drive as an access key to your PC (lock/unlock)

There are more options, you can visit the website to know more write "USB Drive Monitor" in google.

BestITPros

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
Using USB Drive Monitor, will allow you to configure one USB Drive to be used on each computer or for the entire network.

You'll have control of USB Drives Access