Canon i850 won't print black text

My Canon i850 won't print black text (but will print other colors) despite
having cleaned (soaked) the print head with ammonia and performed serveral
deep cleanings.

I performed a nozzle check, and the black grid (at the top) as well as solid
black bars A and F did not print. However, black bars G, L and M did print.
Unless patterns G, L and M are generated by different nozzles, it doesn't
appear to a clogged nozzle.

So I'm at a loss as to what to try next. Any suggestions? I'm rather
dismayed that I'm having this problem as the printer is not that old (~ 6
months) and has not been used much.

Thanks for any help. I appreciate it.

Pat
8 answers Last reply
More about canon i850 print black text

    On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 20:00:24 GMT, "Pat"
    <pkelecy@insightbb*no_spam*.com> wrote:

    >My Canon i850 won't print black text (but will print other colors) despite
    >having cleaned (soaked) the print head with ammonia and performed serveral
    >deep cleanings.
    >
    >I performed a nozzle check, and the black grid (at the top) as well as solid
    >black bars A and F did not print. However, black bars G, L and M did print.
    >Unless patterns G, L and M are generated by different nozzles, it doesn't
    >appear to a clogged nozzle.
    >
    >So I'm at a loss as to what to try next. Any suggestions? I'm rather
    >dismayed that I'm having this problem as the printer is not that old (~ 6
    >months) and has not been used much.
    >
    >Thanks for any help. I appreciate it.
    >
    >Pat

    You definately have a clog. A friend has the same trouble. They
    happened to let the ink run completely dry is what caused the problem.

    Did you use generic inks or let the printer sit idle for a long long
    time? I'm just wondering how this came about.

    You may want to consider a cleaning method found on this page.

    http://216.219.159.185/clean.html

    "beezer" <beezer@rezeeb.moc> wrote in message
    > You definately have a clog. A friend has the same trouble. They
    > happened to let the ink run completely dry is what caused the problem.

    What would "completely dry" mean? I use my printer until it says low ink,
    then until it says that it's empty and I have to replace the cartridge. So
    far, trouble free printing. The i560 is a great printer.

    "beezer" <beezer@rezeeb.moc> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 20:00:24 GMT, "Pat"
    > You definately have a clog. A friend has the same trouble. They
    > happened to let the ink run completely dry is what caused the problem.
    >
    > Did you use generic inks or let the printer sit idle for a long long
    > time? I'm just wondering how this came about.
    >
    > You may want to consider a cleaning method found on this page.
    >
    > http://216.219.159.185/clean.html

    Thanks for the reply and link.

    I originally thought it was a clog and spent some time cleaning the heads
    (using an ammonia solution). What confuses me about this is why, with the
    nozzle check, some of the black patterns print and others don't. If the
    black nozzles were clogged, wouldn't it effect all of the patterns?

    Thanks again. -Pat

    On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 00:24:47 GMT, "xNokia3390x" <ofc2-ivom@spamex.com>
    wrote:

    >What would "completely dry" mean? I use my printer until it says low ink,
    >then until it says that it's empty and I have to replace the cartridge. So
    >far, trouble free printing. The i560 is a great printer.

    What I meant by "completely dry" was the sponge itsself was totally
    dried out. All warnings were ignored by various users not responsible
    for the printer.

    It was used until it wouldnt print black anymore and then left dry
    without refilling for weeks.

    Patterns G, L and M are generated by combining the three primary colours of
    Cyan, Magenta and Yellow. Thus the fact that those patterns print only means
    that your colours are working. The G, L and M patterns show the 'photo'
    black that the i850 uses for papers such as glossy photo etc. instead of the
    pigmented black ink found in the black cartridge.

    You either have a bad clog or a bad print head.

    Blitzko

    --
    ============================
    A persons life is not measured by its

    "Pat" <pkelecy@insightbb*no_spam*.com> wrote in message
    > My Canon i850 won't print black text (but will print other colors) despite
    > having cleaned (soaked) the print head with ammonia and performed serveral
    > deep cleanings.
    >
    > I performed a nozzle check, and the black grid (at the top) as well as
    solid
    > black bars A and F did not print. However, black bars G, L and M did
    print.
    > Unless patterns G, L and M are generated by different nozzles, it doesn't
    > appear to a clogged nozzle.
    >
    > So I'm at a loss as to what to try next. Any suggestions? I'm rather
    > dismayed that I'm having this problem as the printer is not that old (~ 6
    > months) and has not been used much.
    >
    > Thanks for any help. I appreciate it.
    >
    > Pat

    On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 03:00:23 GMT, "Pat"
    <pkelecy@insightbb*no_spam*.com> wrote:

    >Thanks for the reply and link.
    >
    >I originally thought it was a clog and spent some time cleaning the heads
    >(using an ammonia solution). What confuses me about this is why, with the
    >nozzle check, some of the black patterns print and others don't. If the
    >black nozzles were clogged, wouldn't it effect all of the patterns?
    >
    >Thanks again. -Pat

    There are sooo many nozzels... so I doubt all of them are clogged.
    Thats why you see some patterns. Also you may be seeing mixed black at
    the bottom which uses ink from all the colors but black.

    let me know how things turned out.

    Thanks Blitzko and beezer.

    This is making sense now now. I did another, more thorough cleaning of the
    print head last night (where I tried to force cleaner through the black
    nozzles in particular). Still no go. The fact that nothing at all prints
    from the black nozzles makes me think it's a bad print head. So I'll try
    replacing that.

    Thanks again for the help. -Pat

    "Blitzko" <blitzkoNO_SPAM@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > Patterns G, L and M are generated by combining the three primary colours
    of
    > Cyan, Magenta and Yellow. Thus the fact that those patterns print only
    means
    > that your colours are working. The G, L and M patterns show the 'photo'
    > black that the i850 uses for papers such as glossy photo etc. instead of
    the
    > pigmented black ink found in the black cartridge.
    >
    > You either have a bad clog or a bad print head.
    >
    > Blitzko
    >
    > --
    > ============================
    > A persons life is not measured by its
    > length, but by its depth.
    > ============================
    >
    > "Pat" <pkelecy@insightbb*no_spam*.com> wrote in message
    > > My Canon i850 won't print black text (but will print other colors)
    despite
    > > having cleaned (soaked) the print head with ammonia and performed
    serveral
    > > deep cleanings.
    > >
    > > I performed a nozzle check, and the black grid (at the top) as well as
    > solid
    > > black bars A and F did not print. However, black bars G, L and M did
    > print.
    > > Unless patterns G, L and M are generated by different nozzles, it
    doesn't
    > > appear to a clogged nozzle.
    > >
    > > So I'm at a loss as to what to try next. Any suggestions? I'm rather
    > > dismayed that I'm having this problem as the printer is not that old (~
    6
    > > months) and has not been used much.
    > >
    > > Thanks for any help. I appreciate it.
    > >
    > > Pat

    The nozzle checks produce 2 sets of black/grey scale print patterns'
    1 set of the patterns is made using the Black tank, the other
    set is created by compositing CMY.

    --
    WeInk.com Technical Support
    Toll Free Support: 1-888-825-0759
    > On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 03:00:23 GMT, "Pat"
    > <pkelecy@insightbb*no_spam*.com> wrote:
    >

    > >Thanks for the reply and link.
    > >
    > >I originally thought it was a clog and spent some time cleaning the heads
    > >(using an ammonia solution). What confuses me about this is why, with
    the
    > >nozzle check, some of the black patterns print and others don't. If the
    > >black nozzles were clogged, wouldn't it effect all of the patterns?
    > >
    > >Thanks again. -Pat

Printers Canon Peripherals