Adding a computer as a Drive non networking Type

Can it be booted with the Primary Computer running xp and
the second computer running the same.

I also have a laptop on wireless with xp Pro and is working fine so
I do not want to mess that up.

My Primary Computer is attached to the cable modem by cable
and the Laptop is connected wireless. Lynksys network

Can I add the old computer running XP also without a cable or wireless
as a partition drive.

I also have a seagate usb drive that I have not installed but comes with
software to use with the Primary and Laptop.

Will all this stuff work okay and not wipe out the network????

bar

What arte you smoking?

A PC is not as drive, let alone a 'partitioned' hard drive.

A PC is a PC, it has resources [hard drive, printer, optical drives, USB
drives etc] which you can elect to 'share' with other users on your network.

In order for a PC to be part of a network it needs to have some physical
connection to that network: the most common method is by way of NIC [network
interface card] and ethernet cable, however as you have accurately observed,
one can use a wireless NIC and have some freedom.

So for your 'old' PC to be part of the network you'll need a connection and
then all will be fine.

"Nan Lee" wrote:

> Can it be booted with the Primary Computer running xp and
> the second computer running the same.
>
> I also have a laptop on wireless with xp Pro and is working fine so
> I do not want to mess that up.
>
> My Primary Computer is attached to the cable modem by cable
> and the Laptop is connected wireless. Lynksys network
>
> Can I add the old computer running XP also without a cable or wireless
> as a partition drive.
>
> I also have a seagate usb drive that I have not installed but comes with
> software to use with the Primary and Laptop.
>
> Will all this stuff work okay and not wipe out the network????

JohnJ

Distinguished
May 2, 2004

Bar is right. Just add a network card (either a wired one or a wireless
one) to your old PC. For a wired solution, you will need Cat5 cable to
connect that PC to the rest of the network through a hub/switch/router (if
your routers has a number of LAN ports). If you are setting up the network
manually, make sure your network uses the same range of IPs (Like
192.168.1.0 to 192.168.1.2). You might also do that using the wizard in XP.

JohnJ