Problem Formatting Win2k Partition - K8N Neo4/SLI SATA

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
September 13, 2005 9:44:04 PM

Hi Folks,

I'm setting up a new system around the K8N Neo4/SLI mainboard. I put a
300 GB Maxtor SATA drive on, and attempted to install Win2K on a 120 GB
NTFS partition on this drive.

The Win2K Installation CD attempts to format this partition, fails, and
reports:

"Setup was unable to format the partition. The disk may be damaged."

The disk checks out fine. I added two partitions using Ubuntu (Linux)
and checked it for errors, and it had no problems.

As I see it the problem could be:

- Win2k SP3 CD doesn't recognize the SATA HD controller
- Win2k SP3 CD doesn't like SATA
- partition is too large
- hard disk is too large

These are all guesses. I don't want to make a bunch of smaller
partitions because I want to make the drive boot Linux as well, and
don't want to use up the partitions on Win2K.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? I looked in the MSI knowledge
base and didn't see anything for this problem, or even for this board.
If there's a way to get around it without replacing hardware, I'd sure
like to know.

Thanks,

-dreq
September 13, 2005 9:44:05 PM

When you began the Win2k install, you are asked at the beginning to specify
additional hard drive controller drivers by pressing "s". Did you do that?

DaveL

"Derek Mark Edding" <dreq@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Hi Folks,
>
> I'm setting up a new system around the K8N Neo4/SLI mainboard. I put a
> 300 GB Maxtor SATA drive on, and attempted to install Win2K on a 120 GB
> NTFS partition on this drive.
>
> The Win2K Installation CD attempts to format this partition, fails, and
> reports:
>
> "Setup was unable to format the partition. The disk may be damaged."
>
> The disk checks out fine. I added two partitions using Ubuntu (Linux) and
> checked it for errors, and it had no problems.
>
> As I see it the problem could be:
>
> - Win2k SP3 CD doesn't recognize the SATA HD controller
> - Win2k SP3 CD doesn't like SATA
> - partition is too large
> - hard disk is too large
>
> These are all guesses. I don't want to make a bunch of smaller partitions
> because I want to make the drive boot Linux as well, and don't want to use
> up the partitions on Win2K.
>
> Has anyone else encountered this problem? I looked in the MSI knowledge
> base and didn't see anything for this problem, or even for this board. If
> there's a way to get around it without replacing hardware, I'd sure like
> to know.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -dreq
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 14, 2005 2:23:39 AM

DaveL wrote:
> When you began the Win2k install, you are asked at the beginning to
> specify additional hard drive controller drivers by pressing "s". Did
> you do that?
>
> DaveL

DaveL:

No, I did not. It did not seem to be necessary, since the Windows 2000
installation program was able to find and list the hard drive.

Do you mean that this is a requirement?

Thanks,

-dreq
Related resources
September 14, 2005 2:23:40 AM

I find it hard to believe that an old OS like Win2k already has the correct
driver for that sata controller, but I could be wrong.

> DaveL wrote:
>> When you began the Win2k install, you are asked at the beginning to
>> specify additional hard drive controller drivers by pressing "s". Did
>> you do that?
>>
>> DaveL
>
> DaveL:
>
> No, I did not. It did not seem to be necessary, since the Windows 2000
> installation program was able to find and list the hard drive.
>
> Do you mean that this is a requirement?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -dreq
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 14, 2005 4:26:02 AM

DaveL wrote:
> I find it hard to believe that an old OS like Win2k already has the
> correct driver for that sata controller, but I could be wrong.
>
> DaveL

This was a recent Win2K installation CD-ROM with Service Pack 3 (SP3)
already applied. However, you provided the clue I needed. It's
formatting the partition now.

Win2K and even earlier versions of WinXP have a 137 GB limitation. They
will only recognize a hard disk that is 137 GB or smaller unless updated
to the most recent versions. In the case of Win2K, it needs to have SP4
before it will recognize a larger drive.

Fortunately, the drivers on the floppy provided with the K8N Neo4/SLI
fix this problem. I told Win2K that I wanted to add additional drivers,
and it eventually requested them on the floppy drive. I had it load
both the RAID and the NForce device drivers.

After that, it was able to see the full 300 GB hard drive and was able
to format its partition. Maybe this info will be useful to someone else.

Thanks!

-dreq
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 18, 2005 3:11:39 AM

DaveL wrote:
> I find it hard to believe that an old OS like Win2k already has the
> correct driver for that sata controller, but I could be wrong.
>
> DaveL
>

> "Derek Mark Edding" <dreq@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>
>> DaveL wrote:
>>
>>> When you began the Win2k install, you are asked at the beginning to
>>> specify additional hard drive controller drivers by pressing "s".
>>> Did you do that?
>>>
>>> DaveL
>>

>> DaveL:
>>
>> No, I did not. It did not seem to be necessary, since the Windows
>> 2000 installation program was able to find and list the hard drive.
>>
>> Do you mean that this is a requirement?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> -dreq

You must press F6 when the hint apears, and have the sata drivers ready
on a floppy. It's the same on XP; the installation CD does not have sata
drivers.
Linux, at least Suse 9.3 Pro has drivers and knows all about sata drives.
!