Windows 8 Release Preview Build Already Leaked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flareside

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
This seems like another attempt for Microsoft to gain new customers without trying to keep old customers happy. I have been upgrading users to Windows 7 and aero has been peoples favorite change from xp for working in an office with lots of documents. But then again who know if this release will be anything like what they will force us to buy.

Flare

Vettedude

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
[citation][nom]bucknutty[/nom]Why not make aero glass an option that is off by default? I really like it. Any one know of a good start menu program?[/citation]
The good start menu program is called Metro. Best new start menu style since Windows XP.

[citation][nom]VetteDude[/nom]The good start menu program is called Metro. Best new start menu style since Windows XP.[/citation]

wow there is someone on toms that actually likes the new metro UI.

also "classic shell" seems to be the best replacement i found so far

joeman99

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011
Couldn't they have left w7 alone and integrated metro/wphone as a virtualmachine entity? They wouldn't have had to make any compromises on either without alienating their existing base.

carvedinside

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
I am waiting for Win 9 leaks, where M$ realizes that we don't want Metro on Windows PCs.

I loved reading on their blog how they realized that removing Up button from Explorer was a bad idea and brought it back in Win 8. Those who love Metro please buy only 1 copy of Win 8 so the (poor) sales will reflect customer choice.

G

There's absolutely no way in hell I'm buying Windows 8 if the metro interface isn't optional.

Would it really kill Microsoft to listen to the mountains of feedback and make it optional for desktops? Most companies have to pay people to participate in market research, and here we are freely providing the clearest possible feedback on what *has* to be done to make the product a success, yet sadly, it's falling on of deaf ears.

[citation][nom]Realbeast[/nom]That make about, um, one.[/citation]
Make it two; Metro is just as defunct as every previous start menu, but at least has a few nice options like the charms and search interfaces that are far superior, and likely the only part of metro I will ever use.
[citation][nom]mightymaxio[/nom]back to windowsblinds days i guess hahaha[/citation]
LOL, I remember those days! I hated the XP interface because it was 'cartooney' compared to previous versions, so I kept switching between a linux and mac look for my desktop. By the time I was done I had a desktop that looked like OSX graphite, with matrix characters falling like rain in the background, and a background picture that changed every hour or so... it was the happiest I had ever been with my desktop, until I moved to the simplicity of aero where everything is transparent, and I have the UI so minimized that it is hardly noticeable :) I'm going to miss that on win8.

shafe88

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Our only hope now of getting areo and start button back is to boycott windows 8 and wait for windows 9. Windows 8 wouldn't be that bad of an OS if Microsoft would of left the start button and areo alone and made Metro-UI a feature like Media center. At least by having Metro-UI like media center people have the option not to use it.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Did I miss something about Aero? I'm hearing a lot of complaining about loss of functionality with the loss of Aero, but I thought the only thing they were doing with Aero was removing the dressed up visual appearance (the glossy effect and translucent borders). Didn't realize it was liked so much. I do wish they at least had it as an option. My last few installs of Win7 have had Aero off by default and I always turn it back on because I just like the look. BTW, you can also count me as someone who is fine with the Metro UI. Win7 was not going to be the finality of Window's interfaces. It was going to change at some point, and this change is not all that bad IMO. I don't spend a particularly great amount of time in the Start menu to begin with, but even between using my laptop with the Win8 beta and my desktop with Win7 I can find things a lot quicker with Metro. I'm not too fond of the matte color palate they seem to want to go with. I would like some gloss and shine, but I see that as somewhat trivial since I will be spending more time looking at the content in the window rather than staring a my start menu/Metro UI, or window borders. But, I can understand why some might be frustrated by that I guess.

[citation][nom]shafe88[/nom]Our only hope now of getting areo and start button back is to boycott windows 8 and wait for windows 9. Windows 8 wouldn't be that bad of an OS if Microsoft would of left the start button and areo alone and made Metro-UI a feature like Media center. At least by having Metro-UI like media center people have the option not to use it.[/citation]

Exactly which is why I refuse to buy an OEM computer with it installed and refuse to put it on customers computers when I do custom builds. It's to bad that people are going to be forced to use it when they buy OEM computers. If you had a choice most people would probably go with Windows 7 and that would really be saying FU to Microsoft and they're stupid Metro garbage.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]CaedenV[/nom]Make it two; Metro is just as defunct as every previous start menu, but at least has a few nice options like the charms and search interfaces that are far superior, and likely the only part of metro I will ever use.[/citation]I'm afraid many of the people complaining about Metro think "Charms" are something you get out of a cereal box with a leprechaun on the front. Whining about Metro is what all the cool kids do, get on board! But yes, charms, shortcuts, and search all work great in Win8.[citation][nom]Rds1220[/nom]Pff Microshit with thier POS OS. No way in hell am I buying a computer with this OS and I refuse to put it onto customers computers when I build computers for them.[/citation]Seriously? If someone asks you to build them a machine with Windows 8, you'd be an idiot to just flat out refuse. It's just bad business. Show them what it is on a demo machine and let them decide. Maybe non-geeks might actually be OK with an easy to use modern interface, you know? I swear, it's like listening to command prompt diehards.

Status
Not open for further replies.