DVD-CD-RW problems

Ron

I have a Philips DVD-RW 416 which has worked perfectly for a couple of
years. Recently it will not recognise that there is a blank disc in it and
will not auto run when a programme disc is inserted. I have run a virus
checker and spyware programme. Help!
--
Ron

Can you see the data on any disk?

If not I'd suggest the lens is dirty and needs cleaning.... a standard CD
cleaning kit will work.

If still no change I'd suggest the laser has died and the drive needs
replacing.
www.coribright.com

"Ron" <Ron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a Philips DVD-RW 416 which has worked perfectly for a couple of
> years. Recently it will not recognise that there is a blank disc in it and
> will not auto run when a programme disc is inserted. I have run a virus
> checker and spyware programme. Help!
> --
> Ron

Open My Computer, right-click on the DVD drive, select Properties, select
the Autoplay tab and see what you have selected. If Autoplay has been
disabled recently, you would get similar symptoms. If you use Windows
Explorer and navigate to the DVD (with a data CD / DVD installed) can you
see any of the files? If not, I agree with the other poster that a cleaning
is in order before you make a boat anchor out of it.

May also want to check that the cable and power plug are fully inserted and
if you have a cable you can swap it with - that may be worth a shot. Yes -
cables really do go bad just sitting there doing nothing......

Bob S.

"Ron" <Ron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a Philips DVD-RW 416 which has worked perfectly for a couple of
> years. Recently it will not recognise that there is a blank disc in it and
> will not auto run when a programme disc is inserted. I have run a virus
> checker and spyware programme. Help!
> --
> Ron

Ron,
I can't help (yet?) but I have an HP9900j CDR/CDRW/DVDRom doing the
same thing. To add on, if I put a DVD in and reboot, it sees the
contents after booting. If I pop a disk into the drive when empty,
nothing.

I will share what I learn if I figure it out. Pretty sure it ain't a
dirty laser, but what the heck, I will try that too.

Thanks for anyone with other suggestions!

--
WildHare
WildHare's Profile: http://forum.osnn.net/member.php?userid=3292

Ron

Tried all of the above. Can see data OK, and auto run is selected. Neither
this DVD/CD RW will auto run nor will the DVD ROM Drive. The writer just says
'place a writable disc in the drive' even when there is a known good one in
there. My virus checker found a worm last week but said it had dealt with it.
I have carried out several full scans since with no reported viruses. Tempted
to replace the writer!!?