ZerO

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2003

Do you have to have 2 sticks of DDR Ram to get the best speed
rather than 1 big stick ?

or is it to do with having chips on both sides of the stick ?

sounds well daft but any expert opinion welcomed :)

"zero" <zeroREMOVEnews2@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Do you have to have 2 sticks of DDR Ram to get the best speed
> rather than 1 big stick ?
>
> or is it to do with having chips on both sides of the stick ?
>
> sounds well daft but any expert opinion welcomed :)

Zero,
It depends on the motherboard, some new boards support "dual channel
memory" - eg those using Nvidia Nforce2 chipset.
see - http://www.nvidia.com/object/feature_dualddr.html
These are usually identifiable by having 3 memory slots, two are coloured
green and the other is purple.
The idea is that you get two IDENTICAL sticks and put one in a green slot
and the other in a purple slot.
Now, the motherboard will use dual channel mode - it will access the memory
using two separate memory controllers, allowing theoretically to double the
speed of access.
HOWEVER, the actual improvements may vary - some boards only give a small
improvement and some even become more unstable!
Ideally, you need to buy good quality memory as recommended by the
motherboard manufacturer. Some memory companies even sell specially matched
sticks at a premium price - probably used mainly by overclockers/gamers.
I tried it on an MSI K7N2 Delta board with two sticks of Crucial
(non-matched) PC2700 memory and only got a small improvement - but it did
only cost slightly more than one big stick so I was not completely
disappointed.
Do some searching for more information about your board,recommended memory
etc before buying.

Hi:

Actually, you do not require two identical sticks. You have to have the
same amount of memory on each channel. I had two 256 mb sticks, one in the
slot by itself, and one in one of the two slots that were right next to each
other. I did some research, including asking here, and found that I could
put in an extra single stick of 512 and still use both channels. I bought
a stick of 512 mb, moved the 256 stick from the slot by itself to the empty
slot by the other 256 stick, and placed the 512 mb stick in the slot by
itself. Sisoft Sandra showed I lost no peformance, and that I was still
using both channels, since I had 512 mb on both channels.

CSL