I have just aquired an second hand AK38n mobo. I have tried the following
setup:
Video Asus radeon 9600se
CPU Athlon 1.4
3 different types of ram DDR 400 512MB OCZ and plain vanilla and also 256mb
DDR 333 Samsung
This setup won't boot. it powers up without hitting the power switch and
gives a continuous series of long beeps.
I know the video card works as it came out of another computer, likwise the
ram and cpu.
My suspicion is that
1.the video card is incompatible as it is an AGP8x and the board is 4x(the
monitor does not come out of standby)
2.the ram is incompatible or
3. the board is dead
If I reset the bios then the board does not power up until on button is
pressed.
I also tried an old matrox millenium 2 PCI video.... same problem with this.

Any hints/help gratefully received

Mark J

You said that you cleared the CMOS by jumpering the proper pins?
Maybe you can use the DDR 333 ram! Your board should take up to PC2700 ram.
Did you try it with no ram installed? Does it still do the long continuous
beeps? Maybe the ram and the board are not playing well together.
Some responses, like beeps, can be a good sign maybe!

just thinking out loud. ;-)
later,
dave

"dave AKA vwdoc1" <NO_vwdoc1_SPAM_@hotmail.com_PLEASE> wrote in message
> You said that you cleared the CMOS by jumpering the proper pins?
> Maybe you can use the DDR 333 ram! Your board should take up to PC2700
ram.
> Did you try it with no ram installed? Does it still do the long
continuous
> beeps? Maybe the ram and the board are not playing well together.
> Some responses, like beeps, can be a good sign maybe!
>
> just thinking out loud. ;-)
> later,
> dave

I have not tried the "no ram" scenario. In the past mobos have complained
with no ram installed. I've tried 3 different types. Anyway the guy that
sold it me is taking it back, I might now go for a cheap Asus board.

Mark J

Well that is good news!
I thought that the beeps might change with no ram installed.
If it didn't change maybe the board did not play well with the ram or
something is wrong with the BIOS or it's settings!
I am waiting for an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe to go cheap. lol

later,
dave

"Mark J" <don'tsend@any.mail.com> wrote in message
SNIP