Maybe a Stupid Question about dailup modems.....

If my computer, which has a 56 k modem, calls my brothers computer, which
also has a 56 k modem, how fast could would the download/upload be? I do
realize that there would be limitations of the phone lines between the two
computers but if that factor is ignored would the speed be 56K, or is
further tweaking possible? Thanks in advance.

About 33k.

Armand Hammer wrote:

> If my computer, which has a 56 k modem, calls my brothers computer, which
> also has a 56 k modem, how fast could would the download/upload be? I do
> realize that there would be limitations of the phone lines between the two
> computers but if that factor is ignored would the speed be 56K, or is
> further tweaking possible? Thanks in advance.

The 56K (actualy restricted to a lower speed buy government regulation)
is ONLY available if the other computer has a special digital connection
to the internet AND there is only one analog to digital conversion
betwen your computer and the other computer. This single conversion
typicaly takes place at a telephone company's local switching facility .
Furthermore, the high speed rate only works for data transmitted from
the digital connection to the analog one. You would need an exceptional
phone line to accomplish the maximum download rate FROM AN ISP allowed
by the regulations.

Thanks. Well as said it would be computer to computer, no isp involved but
as I have done more research myself, any dailup connect would be too slow
for what I want to is it for.

"RobertVA" <Robert_c72nospam@hottmail.com> wrote in message
> Armand Hammer wrote:
>
>> If my computer, which has a 56 k modem, calls my brothers computer, which
>> also has a 56 k modem, how fast could would the download/upload be? I do
>> realize that there would be limitations of the phone lines between the
>> two computers but if that factor is ignored would the speed be 56K, or is
>> further tweaking possible? Thanks in advance.
> The 56K (actualy restricted to a lower speed buy government regulation) is
> ONLY available if the other computer has a special digital connection to
> the internet AND there is only one analog to digital conversion betwen
> your computer and the other computer. This single conversion typicaly
> takes place at a telephone company's local switching facility .
> Furthermore, the high speed rate only works for data transmitted from the
> digital connection to the analog one. You would need an exceptional phone
> line to accomplish the maximum download rate FROM AN ISP allowed by the
> regulations.

How close do you live to your brother? If you're close, why
not bring the two computers to the same room/building and
use an Ethernet cross-over cable/