AN35N Ultra

Hi @ all,

first please excuse my bad english, i'm from Germany. ;-)

I'm using a Shuttle AN35N Ultra and an Barton XP 2500+.
I've tried to Overclock by setting the FSB to 200MHz and 1.750 Vcore. Runs
nearly a Minute as 3200+ and then shuts down with the red LED on (CPU
overheated). After CMOS reset i use the same parameters and after reboot, i
go directly in BIOS/PC Health. As the Shutdown returns, the CPU Temp is at
51 Grad Celsius. Any Idea?

Greetz
Thomas

"Thomas Hildebrandt" <thomas.hildebrandt@t-online.de> wrote in message
> Hi @ all,
>
> first please excuse my bad english, i'm from Germany. ;-)
>
> I'm using a Shuttle AN35N Ultra and an Barton XP 2500+.
> I've tried to Overclock by setting the FSB to 200MHz and 1.750 Vcore. Runs
> nearly a Minute as 3200+ and then shuts down with the red LED on (CPU
> overheated). After CMOS reset i use the same parameters and after reboot,
> go directly in BIOS/PC Health. As the Shutdown returns, the CPU Temp is at
> 51 Grad Celsius. Any Idea?
>
> Greetz
> Thomas

The CPU is overheating! If the BIOS says 51C after re-start it was probably
up near 60C while running and that is socket temperature on the AN35N not
actual CPU temperature, which is at least 10C warmer. You need to check your
heatsink installation and re-apply the thermal paste. If that doesn't help
maybe you need a better heatsink fan combo.

What heatsink are you using and what type of thermal paste or pad? What case
and fans do you have?

Get Motherboard Monitor 5 (MBM5) to keep an eye on your temperatures.

If your Barton is "locked" start at stock FSB (166) and work your way up to
200 slowly.

Good luck!

FRH

Hi Frank,

> The CPU is overheating! If the BIOS says 51C after re-start it was
probably
> up near 60C while running and that is socket temperature on the AN35N not
> actual CPU temperature, which is at least 10C warmer. You need to check
your
> heatsink installation and re-apply the thermal paste. If that doesn't help
> maybe you need a better heatsink fan combo.
>
> What heatsink are you using and what type of thermal paste or pad? What
case
> and fans do you have?
>
> Get Motherboard Monitor 5 (MBM5) to keep an eye on your temperatures.
>
> If your Barton is "locked" start at stock FSB (166) and work your way up
> 200 slowly.

the joke is, when i run this CPU with correct parameters (FSB166, Multi and
Vcore Auto), the temp also goes up to 51 C in BIOS, but there is no
shutdown. The CPU ist not locked and the Cooler is an AeroCool Deep Impact.
I use NanoTherm as paste. Here are some links

Cooler http://www.aerocool.com.tw/aerocool-files-v3/cooler/dp101.htm
Paste http://svc.com/nanothermpcm.html

> Hi Frank,
>
> > The CPU is overheating! If the BIOS says 51C after re-start it was
> probably
> > up near 60C while running and that is socket temperature on the AN35N
not
> > actual CPU temperature, which is at least 10C warmer. You need to check
> your
> > heatsink installation and re-apply the thermal paste. If that doesn't
help
> > maybe you need a better heatsink fan combo.
> >
> > What heatsink are you using and what type of thermal paste or pad? What
> case
> > and fans do you have?
> >
> > Get Motherboard Monitor 5 (MBM5) to keep an eye on your temperatures.
> >
> > If your Barton is "locked" start at stock FSB (166) and work your way up
> > 200 slowly.
>
> the joke is, when i run this CPU with correct parameters (FSB166, Multi
and
> Vcore Auto), the temp also goes up to 51 C in BIOS, but there is no
> shutdown. The CPU ist not locked and the Cooler is an AeroCool Deep
Impact.
> I use NanoTherm as paste. Here are some links
>
> Cooler http://www.aerocool.com.tw/aerocool-files-v3/cooler/dp101.htm
> Paste http://svc.com/nanothermpcm.html
>
> Greetz Thomas

Very strange! I use a Vantec Aeroflow and Arctic Silver Ceramique on my
XP2500 / AN35N combination. Currently I'm running tests with the CPU
undervolted. Just finished a successful Prime95 run (207x10 vcore 1.55v} and
the MBM5 indcated temperature never goes over 44C. If I run at 220x10 vcore
1.75v the temperature would get up to 51C. The case I use is an Antec SX-835
(350watt Antec power supply) with 2 80mm exhaust fans and room temperature
varies between 24~26C.

I still think you've got a heat problem. Like I said try MBM5 for real time
temperature monitoring. 51C at stock settings is way too hot for "idle".

FRH

Hi Frank,

you are right, there was a heat problem. But it wasn't the heat sink. I have
changed the board and now i am grtting 39 C while running in BIOS and no
shutdown.

Happy Eastern

> Hi Frank,
>
> you are right, there was a heat problem. But it wasn't the heat sink. I
have
> changed the board and now i am grtting 39 C while running in BIOS and no
> shutdown.
>
> Happy Eastern
> Thomas

Was the AN35N motherboard the cause of the overheating? That would be
strange, but I'm glad all is well now.

Frank Hagan