Unanswered Playstation Dilema

March 24, 2005 7:13:01 PM

I have been to many sites and have talked on the phoneto much, to decide how
to go about setting up my Playstation 2 online. I can tell you the scenario
and I hope someone can answer this one with the cheapest possible fix.
I have a DSL modem and computer that is about 50 feet from the Playstation
2. Right next to the Playstation 2 there is a phone jack. The DSL modem has
only one ethernet port. I have the thin PS2 with built in Online so I dont
need the network adaptor. I would EXTREMELY prefer not to run a wire across
the house. I do not want to get into paying a large amount of money (I'm from
canada so remember, what you say is $8.00 is about $10.00 CDN, $80.00 USD=
approx. $100.00 CDN).
I realize that I will most likely have to get a Wireless Router but how do I
make it work without running more than about 5 ft of wire.
Please find an answer to my dilema as I do not want to keep calling people
and reading sites. thnank you in advance
Anonymous
March 24, 2005 7:27:02 PM

Actually, now that I think about it, if you're going to explain to me that I
need a wirelees and then to connect it to my modem and then my playstation,
then I just have 1 question for you. When I get the wireless router connected
to my modem, what do I connect my ps2 to? is there another little
box/antenna? If so, does it come with the router or do I buy it seperately?

"thunderstruck_302" wrote:

> I have been to many sites and have talked on the phoneto much, to decide how
> to go about setting up my Playstation 2 online. I can tell you the scenario
> and I hope someone can answer this one with the cheapest possible fix.
> I have a DSL modem and computer that is about 50 feet from the Playstation
> 2. Right next to the Playstation 2 there is a phone jack. The DSL modem has
> only one ethernet port. I have the thin PS2 with built in Online so I dont
> need the network adaptor. I would EXTREMELY prefer not to run a wire across
> the house. I do not want to get into paying a large amount of money (I'm from
> canada so remember, what you say is $8.00 is about $10.00 CDN, $80.00 USD=
> approx. $100.00 CDN).
> I realize that I will most likely have to get a Wireless Router but how do I
> make it work without running more than about 5 ft of wire.
> Please find an answer to my dilema as I do not want to keep calling people
> and reading sites. thnank you in advance
Anonymous
March 24, 2005 8:53:02 PM

What does Sony say about this???

"thunderstruck_302" wrote:

> Actually, now that I think about it, if you're going to explain to me that I
> need a wirelees and then to connect it to my modem and then my playstation,
> then I just have 1 question for you. When I get the wireless router connected
> to my modem, what do I connect my ps2 to? is there another little
> box/antenna? If so, does it come with the router or do I buy it seperately?
>
> "thunderstruck_302" wrote:
>
> > I have been to many sites and have talked on the phoneto much, to decide how
> > to go about setting up my Playstation 2 online. I can tell you the scenario
> > and I hope someone can answer this one with the cheapest possible fix.
> > I have a DSL modem and computer that is about 50 feet from the Playstation
> > 2. Right next to the Playstation 2 there is a phone jack. The DSL modem has
> > only one ethernet port. I have the thin PS2 with built in Online so I dont
> > need the network adaptor. I would EXTREMELY prefer not to run a wire across
> > the house. I do not want to get into paying a large amount of money (I'm from
> > canada so remember, what you say is $8.00 is about $10.00 CDN, $80.00 USD=
> > approx. $100.00 CDN).
> > I realize that I will most likely have to get a Wireless Router but how do I
> > make it work without running more than about 5 ft of wire.
> > Please find an answer to my dilema as I do not want to keep calling people
> > and reading sites. thnank you in advance
March 24, 2005 9:52:11 PM

www.sony.com

r.

"thunderstruck_302" <thunderstruck302@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:1EF782C2-1EF2-4967-9EDF-2469A2747D02@microsoft.com...
>I have been to many sites and have talked on the phoneto much, to decide
>how
> to go about setting up my Playstation 2 online. I can tell you the
> scenario
> and I hope someone can answer this one with the cheapest possible fix.
> I have a DSL modem and computer that is about 50 feet from the Playstation
> 2. Right next to the Playstation 2 there is a phone jack. The DSL modem
> has
> only one ethernet port. I have the thin PS2 with built in Online so I dont
> need the network adaptor. I would EXTREMELY prefer not to run a wire
> across
> the house. I do not want to get into paying a large amount of money (I'm
> from
> canada so remember, what you say is $8.00 is about $10.00 CDN, $80.00 USD=
> approx. $100.00 CDN).
> I realize that I will most likely have to get a Wireless Router but how do
> make it work without running more than about 5 ft of wire.
> Please find an answer to my dilema as I do not want to keep calling people
> and reading sites. thnank you in advance
Anonymous
March 24, 2005 9:52:12 PM

sony only goes so far in the explanation. Basically, I think the only choice
i have is to get a wrieless router so my only question is what is connected
to the ps2 that recieves the signal from the router? Is htere a second
antenna and if so, does it come with the router?

"namniar" wrote:

> www.sony.com
>
> r.
>

> "thunderstruck_302" <thunderstruck302@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:1EF782C2-1EF2-4967-9EDF-2469A2747D02@microsoft.com...
> >I have been to many sites and have talked on the phoneto much, to decide
> >how
> > to go about setting up my Playstation 2 online. I can tell you the
> > scenario
> > and I hope someone can answer this one with the cheapest possible fix.
> > I have a DSL modem and computer that is about 50 feet from the Playstation
> > 2. Right next to the Playstation 2 there is a phone jack. The DSL modem
> > has
> > only one ethernet port. I have the thin PS2 with built in Online so I dont
> > need the network adaptor. I would EXTREMELY prefer not to run a wire
> > across
> > the house. I do not want to get into paying a large amount of money (I'm
> > from
> > canada so remember, what you say is $8.00 is about $10.00 CDN, $80.00 USD=
> > approx. $100.00 CDN).
> > I realize that I will most likely have to get a Wireless Router but how do
> > make it work without running more than about 5 ft of wire.
> > Please find an answer to my dilema as I do not want to keep calling people
> > and reading sites. thnank you in advance

Anonymous
March 25, 2005 3:47:22 AM

You need a router (which you know) like this:
http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&sci...

And a wireless adapter like this:
http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&sci...

Then you'll be all set to go.

It won't be super cheap though.

Matt Gibson - GSEC

"thunderstruck_302" <thunderstruck302@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:1670874D-14A7-4D27-AA05-0438BB3CCEB6@microsoft.com...
> Actually, now that I think about it, if you're going to explain to me that
> need a wirelees and then to connect it to my modem and then my
> playstation,
> then I just have 1 question for you. When I get the wireless router
> connected
> to my modem, what do I connect my ps2 to? is there another little
> box/antenna? If so, does it come with the router or do I buy it
> seperately?
>
> "thunderstruck_302" wrote:
>
>> I have been to many sites and have talked on the phoneto much, to decide
>> how
>> to go about setting up my Playstation 2 online. I can tell you the
>> scenario
>> and I hope someone can answer this one with the cheapest possible fix.
>> I have a DSL modem and computer that is about 50 feet from the
>> Playstation
>> 2. Right next to the Playstation 2 there is a phone jack. The DSL modem
>> has
>> only one ethernet port. I have the thin PS2 with built in Online so I
>> dont
>> need the network adaptor. I would EXTREMELY prefer not to run a wire
>> across
>> the house. I do not want to get into paying a large amount of money (I'm
>> from
>> canada so remember, what you say is $8.00 is about $10.00 CDN, $80.00
>> USD=
>> approx. $100.00 CDN).
>> I realize that I will most likely have to get a Wireless Router but how
>> do I
>> make it work without running more than about 5 ft of wire.
>> Please find an answer to my dilema as I do not want to keep calling
>> people
>> and reading sites. thnank you in advance
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 2:40:34 PM

A wireless router usually also has 4 ethernet ports. Like a Siemens Gigaset
SE505 and the like.

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

"thunderstruck_302" <thunderstruck302@discussions.microsoft.com> kirjoitti
viestissä news:A014357B-B130-41C9-B8C9-225DD5894548@microsoft.com...
> sony only goes so far in the explanation. Basically, I think the only
choice
> i have is to get a wrieless router so my only question is what is
connected
> to the ps2 that recieves the signal from the router? Is htere a second
> antenna and if so, does it come with the router?
>
> "namniar" wrote:
>
> > www.sony.com
> >
> > r.
> >

> > "thunderstruck_302" <thunderstruck302@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in
> > message news:1EF782C2-1EF2-4967-9EDF-2469A2747D02@microsoft.com...
> > >I have been to many sites and have talked on the phoneto much, to
decide
> > >how
> > > to go about setting up my Playstation 2 online. I can tell you the
> > > scenario
> > > and I hope someone can answer this one with the cheapest possible fix.
> > > I have a DSL modem and computer that is about 50 feet from the
Playstation
> > > 2. Right next to the Playstation 2 there is a phone jack. The DSL
modem
> > > has
> > > only one ethernet port. I have the thin PS2 with built in Online so I
dont
> > > need the network adaptor. I would EXTREMELY prefer not to run a wire
> > > across
> > > the house. I do not want to get into paying a large amount of money
(I'm
> > > from
> > > canada so remember, what you say is $8.00 is about $10.00 CDN, $80.00
USD=
> > > approx. $100.00 CDN).
> > > I realize that I will most likely have to get a Wireless Router but
how do
> > > make it work without running more than about 5 ft of wire.
> > > Please find an answer to my dilema as I do not want to keep calling
people
> > > and reading sites. thnank you in advance

Anonymous
March 25, 2005 2:40:35 PM

Ok... that was also useful to know but my question is does the wireless
router come with the recieving antenna, I think I heard somewhere that it's
called a wireless bridge. Its the part that recieves the info that the router
sends out. I have never really dealt with a wireless router so.... thats why
im asking.

!