Unanswered Playstation Dilema

I have been to many sites and have talked on the phoneto much, to decide how
to go about setting up my Playstation 2 online. I can tell you the scenario
and I hope someone can answer this one with the cheapest possible fix.
I have a DSL modem and computer that is about 50 feet from the Playstation
2. Right next to the Playstation 2 there is a phone jack. The DSL modem has
only one ethernet port. I have the thin PS2 with built in Online so I dont
need the network adaptor. I would EXTREMELY prefer not to run a wire across
the house. I do not want to get into paying a large amount of money (I'm from
canada so remember, what you say is $8.00 is about $10.00 CDN, $80.00 USD=
approx. $100.00 CDN).
I realize that I will most likely have to get a Wireless Router but how do I
make it work without running more than about 5 ft of wire.
Please find an answer to my dilema as I do not want to keep calling people
and reading sites. thnank you in advance
7 answers Last reply
More about unanswered playstation dilema

    Actually, now that I think about it, if you're going to explain to me that I
    need a wirelees and then to connect it to my modem and then my playstation,
    then I just have 1 question for you. When I get the wireless router connected
    to my modem, what do I connect my ps2 to? is there another little
    box/antenna? If so, does it come with the router or do I buy it seperately?

    "thunderstruck_302" wrote:

    > I have been to many sites and have talked on the phoneto much, to decide how
    > to go about setting up my Playstation 2 online. I can tell you the scenario
    > and I hope someone can answer this one with the cheapest possible fix.
    > I have a DSL modem and computer that is about 50 feet from the Playstation
    > 2. Right next to the Playstation 2 there is a phone jack. The DSL modem has
    > only one ethernet port. I have the thin PS2 with built in Online so I dont
    > need the network adaptor. I would EXTREMELY prefer not to run a wire across
    > the house. I do not want to get into paying a large amount of money (I'm from
    > canada so remember, what you say is $8.00 is about $10.00 CDN, $80.00 USD=
    > approx. $100.00 CDN).
    > I realize that I will most likely have to get a Wireless Router but how do I
    > make it work without running more than about 5 ft of wire.
    > Please find an answer to my dilema as I do not want to keep calling people
    > and reading sites. thnank you in advance

    What does Sony say about this???

    "thunderstruck_302" wrote:

    > Actually, now that I think about it, if you're going to explain to me that I
    > need a wirelees and then to connect it to my modem and then my playstation,
    > then I just have 1 question for you. When I get the wireless router connected
    > to my modem, what do I connect my ps2 to? is there another little
    > box/antenna? If so, does it come with the router or do I buy it seperately?
    >
    > "thunderstruck_302" wrote:
    >
    > > I have been to many sites and have talked on the phoneto much, to decide how
    > > to go about setting up my Playstation 2 online. I can tell you the scenario
    > > and I hope someone can answer this one with the cheapest possible fix.
    > > I have a DSL modem and computer that is about 50 feet from the Playstation
    > > 2. Right next to the Playstation 2 there is a phone jack. The DSL modem has
    > > only one ethernet port. I have the thin PS2 with built in Online so I dont
    > > need the network adaptor. I would EXTREMELY prefer not to run a wire across
    > > the house. I do not want to get into paying a large amount of money (I'm from
    > > canada so remember, what you say is $8.00 is about $10.00 CDN, $80.00 USD=
    > > approx. $100.00 CDN).
    > > I realize that I will most likely have to get a Wireless Router but how do I
    > > make it work without running more than about 5 ft of wire.
    > > Please find an answer to my dilema as I do not want to keep calling people
    > > and reading sites. thnank you in advance

    www.sony.com

    r.

    "thunderstruck_302" <thunderstruck302@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:1EF782C2-1EF2-4967-9EDF-2469A2747D02@microsoft.com...
    >I have been to many sites and have talked on the phoneto much, to decide
    >how
    > to go about setting up my Playstation 2 online. I can tell you the
    > scenario
    > and I hope someone can answer this one with the cheapest possible fix.
    > I have a DSL modem and computer that is about 50 feet from the Playstation
    > 2. Right next to the Playstation 2 there is a phone jack. The DSL modem
    > has
    > only one ethernet port. I have the thin PS2 with built in Online so I dont
    > need the network adaptor. I would EXTREMELY prefer not to run a wire
    > across
    > the house. I do not want to get into paying a large amount of money (I'm
    > from
    > canada so remember, what you say is $8.00 is about $10.00 CDN, $80.00 USD=
    > approx. $100.00 CDN).
    > I realize that I will most likely have to get a Wireless Router but how do
    > make it work without running more than about 5 ft of wire.
    > Please find an answer to my dilema as I do not want to keep calling people
    > and reading sites. thnank you in advance

    sony only goes so far in the explanation. Basically, I think the only choice
    i have is to get a wrieless router so my only question is what is connected
    to the ps2 that recieves the signal from the router? Is htere a second
    antenna and if so, does it come with the router?

    "namniar" wrote:

    > www.sony.com
    >
    > r.
    >

    > "thunderstruck_302" <thunderstruck302@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message news:1EF782C2-1EF2-4967-9EDF-2469A2747D02@microsoft.com...
    > >I have been to many sites and have talked on the phoneto much, to decide
    > >how
    > > to go about setting up my Playstation 2 online. I can tell you the
    > > scenario
    > > and I hope someone can answer this one with the cheapest possible fix.
    > > I have a DSL modem and computer that is about 50 feet from the Playstation
    > > 2. Right next to the Playstation 2 there is a phone jack. The DSL modem
    > > has
    > > only one ethernet port. I have the thin PS2 with built in Online so I dont
    > > need the network adaptor. I would EXTREMELY prefer not to run a wire
    > > across
    > > the house. I do not want to get into paying a large amount of money (I'm
    > > from
    > > canada so remember, what you say is $8.00 is about $10.00 CDN, $80.00 USD=
    > > approx. $100.00 CDN).
    > > I realize that I will most likely have to get a Wireless Router but how do
    > > make it work without running more than about 5 ft of wire.
    > > Please find an answer to my dilema as I do not want to keep calling people
    > > and reading sites. thnank you in advance

    You need a router (which you know) like this:
    http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=35&prid=601

    And a wireless adapter like this:
    http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=36&prid=558

    Then you'll be all set to go.

    It won't be super cheap though.

    Matt Gibson - GSEC

    "thunderstruck_302" <thunderstruck302@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:1670874D-14A7-4D27-AA05-0438BB3CCEB6@microsoft.com...
    > Actually, now that I think about it, if you're going to explain to me that
    > need a wirelees and then to connect it to my modem and then my
    > playstation,
    > then I just have 1 question for you. When I get the wireless router
    > connected
    > to my modem, what do I connect my ps2 to? is there another little
    > box/antenna? If so, does it come with the router or do I buy it
    > seperately?
    >
    > "thunderstruck_302" wrote:
    >
    >> I have been to many sites and have talked on the phoneto much, to decide
    >> how
    >> to go about setting up my Playstation 2 online. I can tell you the
    >> scenario
    >> and I hope someone can answer this one with the cheapest possible fix.
    >> I have a DSL modem and computer that is about 50 feet from the
    >> Playstation
    >> 2. Right next to the Playstation 2 there is a phone jack. The DSL modem
    >> has
    >> only one ethernet port. I have the thin PS2 with built in Online so I
    >> dont
    >> need the network adaptor. I would EXTREMELY prefer not to run a wire
    >> across
    >> the house. I do not want to get into paying a large amount of money (I'm
    >> from
    >> canada so remember, what you say is $8.00 is about $10.00 CDN, $80.00
    >> USD=
    >> approx. $100.00 CDN).
    >> I realize that I will most likely have to get a Wireless Router but how
    >> do I
    >> make it work without running more than about 5 ft of wire.
    >> Please find an answer to my dilema as I do not want to keep calling
    >> people
    >> and reading sites. thnank you in advance

    A wireless router usually also has 4 ethernet ports. Like a Siemens Gigaset
    SE505 and the like.

    --
    Tumppi
    Reply to group

    "thunderstruck_302" <thunderstruck302@discussions.microsoft.com> kirjoitti
    viestissä news:A014357B-B130-41C9-B8C9-225DD5894548@microsoft.com...
    > sony only goes so far in the explanation. Basically, I think the only
    choice
    > i have is to get a wrieless router so my only question is what is
    connected
    > to the ps2 that recieves the signal from the router? Is htere a second
    > antenna and if so, does it come with the router?
    >
    > "namniar" wrote:
    >
    > > www.sony.com
    > >
    > > r.
    > >

    > > "thunderstruck_302" <thunderstruck302@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    in
    > > message news:1EF782C2-1EF2-4967-9EDF-2469A2747D02@microsoft.com...
    > > >I have been to many sites and have talked on the phoneto much, to
    decide
    > > >how
    > > > to go about setting up my Playstation 2 online. I can tell you the
    > > > scenario
    > > > and I hope someone can answer this one with the cheapest possible fix.
    > > > I have a DSL modem and computer that is about 50 feet from the
    Playstation
    > > > 2. Right next to the Playstation 2 there is a phone jack. The DSL
    modem
    > > > has
    > > > only one ethernet port. I have the thin PS2 with built in Online so I
    dont
    > > > need the network adaptor. I would EXTREMELY prefer not to run a wire
    > > > across
    > > > the house. I do not want to get into paying a large amount of money
    (I'm
    > > > from
    > > > canada so remember, what you say is $8.00 is about $10.00 CDN, $80.00
    USD=
    > > > approx. $100.00 CDN).
    > > > I realize that I will most likely have to get a Wireless Router but
    how do
    > > > make it work without running more than about 5 ft of wire.
    > > > Please find an answer to my dilema as I do not want to keep calling
    people
    > > > and reading sites. thnank you in advance

    Ok... that was also useful to know but my question is does the wireless
    router come with the recieving antenna, I think I heard somewhere that it's
    called a wireless bridge. Its the part that recieves the info that the router
    sends out. I have never really dealt with a wireless router so.... thats why
    im asking.

PlayStation DSL Modem Windows XP