Catch 22 when installing new mouse

My wife knew that my Microsoft cordless optical mouse was just about dead
came back the other day with a new Belkin wireless keyboard & wireless
optical mouse. I just plugged the transmitter into my USB2 port & both were
immediately recognized.

Both keyboard & mouse have extra functions which are only available when you
install the software. When you open the software you have the choice of
clicking on 3 basic choices mouse, keyboard or mouse & keyboard since
presumably the mouse & keyboard must also be available separately. The
problem is that when I click on mouse & keyboard it says that it has already
detected a mouse already initialed & this is likely to conflict with the new
one so uninstall it first. I assume that when Windows detected the mouse it
just installed some generic driver. So if I go to device manager & delete
the current driver I don't have any mouse with which to assess the new
software. How do I overcome this?

--
Thanks in advance
2 answers Last reply

    If windows doesn't have a driver that matches (or a generic one), after you
    reboot or tell it to refresh and search for new devices, it will open the
    Add Hardware Wizard. You won't be stuck without a mouse - once windows
    opens. If you are for some odd reason, just put the old mouse back on, load
    in the drivers for the new one, uninstall any old mouse software (Add/Remove
    Software) then reboot. You should be fine (say's the consultant in the back
    of the room who doesn't have to live with the problem......;-)

    Bob S.

    "The Old Timer" <notathome@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
    > My wife knew that my Microsoft cordless optical mouse was just about dead
    > came back the other day with a new Belkin wireless keyboard & wireless
    > optical mouse. I just plugged the transmitter into my USB2 port & both
    were
    > immediately recognized.
    >
    > Both keyboard & mouse have extra functions which are only available when
    you
    > install the software. When you open the software you have the choice of
    > clicking on 3 basic choices mouse, keyboard or mouse & keyboard since
    > presumably the mouse & keyboard must also be available separately. The
    > problem is that when I click on mouse & keyboard it says that it has
    already
    > detected a mouse already initialed & this is likely to conflict with the
    new
    > one so uninstall it first. I assume that when Windows detected the mouse
    it
    > just installed some generic driver. So if I go to device manager & delete
    > the current driver I don't have any mouse with which to assess the new
    > software. How do I overcome this?
    >
    > --
    > Thanks in advance

    Have a look at the Mouse problem 20/03/05 from myself Dave Wilcox. I had
    optical Wireless mouse probs and managed to solve. It seems you have to
    remove all trace of the old drivers as they will conflict according to the
    MS site. Hope this helps you solve.

    Dave

    "Bob S." <junk@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > If windows doesn't have a driver that matches (or a generic one), after
    > you
    > reboot or tell it to refresh and search for new devices, it will open the
    > Add Hardware Wizard. You won't be stuck without a mouse - once windows
    > opens. If you are for some odd reason, just put the old mouse back on,
    > load
    > in the drivers for the new one, uninstall any old mouse software
    > (Add/Remove
    > Software) then reboot. You should be fine (say's the consultant in the
    > back
    > of the room who doesn't have to live with the problem......;-)
    >
    > Bob S.
    >

    > "The Old Timer" <notathome@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
    >> My wife knew that my Microsoft cordless optical mouse was just about dead
    >> came back the other day with a new Belkin wireless keyboard & wireless
    >> optical mouse. I just plugged the transmitter into my USB2 port & both
    > were
    >> immediately recognized.
    >>
    >> Both keyboard & mouse have extra functions which are only available when
    > you
    >> install the software. When you open the software you have the choice of
    >> clicking on 3 basic choices mouse, keyboard or mouse & keyboard since
    >> presumably the mouse & keyboard must also be available separately. The
    >> problem is that when I click on mouse & keyboard it says that it has
    > already
    >> detected a mouse already initialed & this is likely to conflict with the
    > new
    >> one so uninstall it first. I assume that when Windows detected the mouse
    > it
    >> just installed some generic driver. So if I go to device manager &
    >> delete
    >> the current driver I don't have any mouse with which to assess the new
    >> software. How do I overcome this?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Thanks in advance

Mice Keyboards Windows XP