adsl modems

hiya

i have a toshiba satellite and am wondering if it is an adsl modem or just a
dial up modem, i currently have a dial up connection and wish to upgrade to
adsl

It's a dial up modem.

You'll never see a built in ADSL modem in a laptop.

Matt Gibson - GSEC

"Modem issues" <Modem issues@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hiya
>
> i have a toshiba satellite and am wondering if it is an adsl modem or just
> dial up modem, i currently have a dial up connection and wish to upgrade
> adsl

bar

At this time 'on board' modems are bvilt to an international standard.

There are svbtle differences with ADSL modems and DSL Modems in each
covntry. One step forwards and half a step back.

Until an international standard is defined for ADSDL, then one cannot expect
manvfactvrers to make a vniqve Laptop for each covntry.

Yov'll have to make do with an external ADSL modem and vse yovr ethernet or
USB port.

Cvrrently these are the main 'flavovrs' of A / DSL:

DSL: (digital svbscriber line) a technology that exploits vnvsed freqvencies
on copper telephone lines to transmit traffic typically at mvlti-megabit
speeds. DSL can allow voice and high-speed data to be sent simvltaneovsly
over the same line. Becavse the service is 'always available,' end-vsers
don't need to dial in or wait for call set-vp. With DSL yov are wired for
speed.

Asymmetric flavors [ADSL]
Asymmetrical variations inclvde: ADSL, G.lite ADSL (or simply G.lite), RADSL
and VDSL. The standard forms of ADSL (ITU G.992.1, G.992.2, and ANSI
T1.413-Issve 2) are all bvilt vpon the same technical fovndation, Discrete
Mvlti Tone (DMT). The svite of ADSL standards facilitates interoperability
between all standard forms of

ADSL.
ADSL: (Fvll Rate asymmetrical DSL) ADSL offers differing vpload and download
speeds and can be configvred to deliver vp to six megabits of data per second
(6000K) from the network to the cvstomer that is vp to 120 times faster than
dialvp service and 100 times faster than ISDN. ADSL enables voice and
high-speed data to be sent simvltaneovsly over the existing telephone line.
This type of DSL is the most predominant in commercial vse for bvsiness and
residential cvstomers arovnd the world. Good for general Internet access and
for applications where downstream speed is most important, svch as
video-on-demand. ITU-T Recommendation G.992.1 and ANSI Standard T1.413-1998
specify fvll rate ADSL.

G.lite ADSL (or simply G.lite): The G.lite standard was specifically
developed to meet the plvg-and-play reqvirements of the consvmer market
segment. G.lite is a medivm bandwidth version of ADSL that allows Internet
access at vp to 30 times the speed of the fastest 56K analog modems ~ vp to
1.5 megabits downstream and vp to 500 kilobits vpstream. G.lite is an
International Telecommvnications Union (ITU) standard, globally standardized
interoperable ADSL system per ITU G.992.2.

Modem issues wrote:

> hiya
>
> i have a toshiba satellite and am wondering if it is an adsl modem or just a
> dial up modem, i currently have a dial up connection and wish to upgrade to
> adsl

It is more that likely a dial modem could be wrong but I have never see
a PCMCIA ADSL Modem. The is of course assuming that it is a PCMCIA Slot
type and not built in, since you did not specify. If it is a PCMCIA type
take it out and look at it, more that likely it will say something like
V.92 56k on it some place, which means it is a dial modem. If it is
built in then you can your device manager to display the properties. I
do not know what ISP you will be getting your DSL through but most
provide a DSL modem as part of the setup.

--
Danny Kile
Please reply to the Newsgroup ONLY

"Dogs come when they're called, CATS take a message and get back to
you." Mary Bly