Best Arcade Games Ever

hp

Distinguished
May 6, 2004

Is there a site with a list of best games ever....... done from some sort of
poll.

I have got my Mame Cabinet up and running with all roms installed but I want
to trim the roms list down.

HP wrote:
> Is there a site with a list of best games ever....... done from some
sort of
> poll.

Here is a Top100 list compiled by the KLOV team. It's a fabulous
list, especially if you agree that arcade games essentially
died in the late 80s.

http://www.klov.com/TOP100.html

If you're not familiar with klov.com, it is a fantastic site.

sinner

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

* HP wrote in alt.games.mame:
> Is there a site with a list of best games ever....... done from some sort of
> poll.

> I have got my Mame Cabinet up and running with all roms installed but I want
> to trim the roms list down.

Search google groups advanced search:

Search: "favorite letter starting"
Group: *MAME*
Author: SINNER

--
David
<Teller> where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

SINNER wrote:
>>Is there a site with a list of best games ever....... done from some sort of
>>poll.
>
>>I have got my Mame Cabinet up and running with all roms installed but I want
>>to trim the roms list down.
>
> Search google groups advanced search:
>
> Search: "favorite letter starting"
> Group: *MAME*
> Author: SINNER

Ho-ho. Your list is invalid. It stops at "U" despite the fact that our
alphabet goes to "Z". ;-) Any list of top games without Vanguard is
incorrect.

--
FSogol

sinner

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

* FSogol wrote in alt.games.mame:

> SINNER wrote:
>>>Is there a site with a list of best games ever....... done from some sort of
>>>poll.

>>>I have got my Mame Cabinet up and running with all roms installed but I want
>>>to trim the roms list down.

>> Search google groups advanced search:

>> Search: "favorite letter starting"
>> Group: *MAME*
>> Author: SINNER

> Ho-ho. Your list is invalid. It stops at "U" despite the fact that our
> alphabet goes to "Z". ;-) Any list of top games without Vanguard is
> incorrect.

Hey, its a start :p~

--
David
Living in LA is like not having a date on Saturday night.

hp

Distinguished
May 6, 2004

"SINNER" <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> wrote in message
>* HP wrote in alt.games.mame:
>> Is there a site with a list of best games ever....... done from some sort
>> of
>> poll.
>
>> I have got my Mame Cabinet up and running with all roms installed but I
>> want
>> to trim the roms list down.
>
> Search google groups advanced search:
>
> Search: "favorite letter starting"
> Group: *MAME*
> Author: SINNER
>
> --
> David
> <Teller> where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Did you summarise the data? If you have the information, can you cut and
paste it. Save me searching thru'....

HP's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his body were:
> Did you summarise the data? If you have the information, can you cut and
> paste it. Save me searching thru'....

yes, sinner posted the results of the polls, however, its not that
difficult to search

sinner

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

* HP wrote in alt.games.mame:

> "SINNER" <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> wrote in message
>>* HP wrote in alt.games.mame:
>>> Is there a site with a list of best games ever....... done from some sort
>>> of
>>> poll.

>>> I have got my Mame Cabinet up and running with all roms installed but I
>>> want
>>> to trim the roms list down.

>> Search google groups advanced search:

>> Search: "favorite letter starting"
>> Group: *MAME*
>> Author: SINNER

> Did you summarise the data? If you have the information, can you cut and
> paste it. Save me searching thru'....

I didnt, but Cerian did. search with his name as the author and you may
find a link to an excel spreadsheet he was maintaining whihc is probably
still out there.

Unfortunately I lost the machine I was keeping the data on (Laptop HD
went bad) and I learned a difficult backup lesson.
--
David
As you grow older, you will still do foolish things, but you will do them

syvyn11

Distinguished
May 17, 2004

"HP" <NoEmailPlease@Email.Com> wrote in message
> Is there a site with a list of best games ever....... done from some sort
> of poll.
>
> I have got my Mame Cabinet up and running with all roms installed but I
> want to trim the roms list down.

My top 20 in Mame.

20. Pac-man

19. Galaga

18. Marvel vs. Capcom

17 Qix.

16 Super Street Fighter 2

15. Fatal Fury Special

14. Metal Gear:X

13. Zoo Keeper

12. Donkey Kong

11. Lady Bug

10 Phoenix

9. X-Men vs. Street Fighter

8. Street Fighter Alpha 3

7. Ms. Pac-man

6. Centipede

5. Pole Position

4. Vangaurd

3. King of Fighters (series)

2. Raiden

1. Street Fighter Alpha 2

David

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 11:51:45 +0000 (UTC), "HP"
<NoEmailPlease@Email.Com> wrote:

>Is there a site with a list of best games ever....... done from some sort of
>poll.
>
>I have got my Mame Cabinet up and running with all roms installed but I want
>to trim the roms list down.

Here's Cerian Knight's summary of the alphabetic poll. Unfortunately
the poll petered out at "U".

A-U MAME Favorites

in Excel 95:

http://home.comcast.net/~cerian/MAME/Favorite.xls

or, in comma delimited text:

http://home.comcast.net/~cerian/MAME/Favorite.csv

SINNER wrote:
> * HP wrote in alt.games.mame:
>

>>"SINNER" <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> wrote in message

>>>Search google groups advanced search:
>

>>>Search: "favorite letter starting"
>>>Group: *MAME*
>>>Author: SINNER
>

>>Did you summarise the data? If you have the information, can you cut and
>>paste it. Save me searching thru'....
>

> I didnt, but Cerian did. search with his name as the author and you may
> find a link to an excel spreadsheet he was maintaining whihc is probably
> still out there.
>
> Unfortunately I lost the machine I was keeping the data on (Laptop HD
> went bad) and I learned a difficult backup lesson.

Aren't /all/ backup 'lessons' bad ones? "Judgment comes from
experience, and experience comes from bad judgment" <GBEG>

--
Thnik about it!
Dead_Dad

sinner

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

* Dead_Dad wrote in alt.games.mame:
> SINNER wrote:

[...]

>> Unfortunately I lost the machine I was keeping the data on (Laptop HD
>> went bad) and I learned a difficult backup lesson.

> Aren't /all/ backup 'lessons' bad ones? "Judgment comes from
> experience, and experience comes from bad judgment" <GBEG>

None can say it better:

http://www.taobackup.com/

--
David
Between grand theft and a legal fee, there only stands a law degree.

David wrote:
> A-U MAME Favorites
>
> in Excel 95:
>
> http://home.comcast.net/~cerian/MAME/Favorite.xls
>
> or, in comma delimited text:
>
> http://home.comcast.net/~cerian/MAME/Favorite.csv

For convenience, here are the top 3 (plus ties) in each letter.

Letter Votes Game (MAMEd)
A 16 Asteroids
A 9 Arkanoid
A 6 Altered Beast
B 18 Bubble Bobble
B 17 Berserk
B 13 battlezone
C 13 Centipede
C 7 Crazy Climber
C 6 Commando
D 14 Donkey Kong
D 13 Dig Dug
D 13 Defender
E 16 Elevator Action
E 5 Escape From The Planet fo the Robot Monsters
E 5 Empire Strikes Back, The
E 5 Eliminator
E 5 Elevator Action Returns
F 18 Frogger
F 10 Flying Shark
F 6 Final Fight
G 16 Galaga
G 12 Gyruss
G 10 Gauntlet
H 12 Hyper Sports
H 10 Hang-On
H 6 Heavy Barrel
H 6 Hard Drivin'
I 10 Irritating Maze, The
I 10 Ikari Warriors
I 9 I, Robot
J 20 Joust
J 8 Juno First
J 5 Jungle King
K 12 Kung-Fu Master
K 12 Klax
K 4 Karnov
K 4 Karate Champ
L 11 Lady Bug
L 9 Lunar Lander
L 6 Liquid Kids
L 6 League Bowling
M 16 Moon Patrol
M 16 Marble Madness
M 10 Metal Slug
N 9 New Rally-X
N 8 Night Driver
N 8 New Zealand Story, The
O 24 Out Run
O 16 Operation Wolf
O 10 Omega Race
P 15 Pac-Man
P 10 Phoenix
P 8 Pole Position
Q 17 Qbert
Q 14 Qix
Q 4 Quantum
R 13 R-type
R 12 Robotron
R 8 Rally X
S 8 Star Wars
S 8 Spy Hunter
S 8 Space Invaders
S 8 Scramble
T 17 Tempest
T 11 Tron
T 8 Tapper
T 8 Time Pilot
U 7 Uo Poko
U 6 Upn Down
U 6 UN Squadron

.... after inserting a credit, HP <NoEmailPlease@Email.Com> leaned
forward and saw...
>Is there a site with a list of best games ever....... done from some sort of
>poll.
>
>I have got my Mame Cabinet up and running with all roms installed but I want
>to trim the roms list down.

Generally, lists like this are somewhat subjective and also age-centric.
You'll probably get a lot of teenagers voting for the Streetfighter
series, whereas older players will harken back to their old classic
favourites (read: Pacman, Scramble, Defender, etc).

For a list of what some regs like, try Tombstones. People usually try
out some new game based upon recommendation.
--
"He takes the things you gave to me.
And even in the coldest place, I'm just an empty space."