after market power supplies

Howdy,

Who has the most reliable after-market power supplies for shuttle SFF? I
was gifted an sk41g in December and picked up a second one in February. The
power supply on the second one went before I even finished setting it up,
and the first one just died. Push the power the button--no fan, no lights,
no nothing.

Shuttle serviced the first one no charge, but the price of a power supply is
worth not having to send my computer away for weeks to be serviced and to
hopefully get something that will last awhile. The shuttles are great when
they are running--I usually keep PCs for 7 or 8 years, and I've never had a
power supply die. Now I've had 2 go in 2 months.

So, does anyone other than shuttle make power supplies for these SFF cases,
and who would you guys recommend?

Now I gotta email all the people I recommended shuttle to and tell them to
buy something else. Packard Bell still in business?

TIA,

Sean G.

> I've never had a power supply die. Now I've had 2 go in 2 months.

The PS is a weak link in the SFF boxes. I bought a "standard" PS and
extended the wires. Then I screwed the PS to the underside of my desk.
I cut out the area on the back where the stock PS was and ran the
extended cables through. Now I am going to go one step further. I want
to use a SFF as a "set-top" box so I am mounting the PS under the
floor along with the "guts" for a water cooling system. I am hoping
that this will give me a "silent" computer for the set-top box.
DD
"It's easy when you know how..."
Johnny Shines

> The PS is a weak link in the SFF boxes. I bought a "standard" PS and
> extended the wires. Then I screwed the PS to the underside of my desk.
> I cut out the area on the back where the stock PS was and ran the
> extended cables through.

Well, a SilentX arrived today from new egg, and I'm back up and running.
That's an interesting work-around double-D, but for me, at that point I'd
loose any advantage of the SFF. Next power supply to die, and I'm back to
my towers.

Thanks,

Sean G.

--
"I'd like to bury my face in two dozen 'Krispy Kreme' glazed donuts & just
lie there & think about Hello Kitty!"--Zippy

You never mentioned your SFF configuration. Mind if I ask?

Video card
CPU
memory (type and amount)
Disk drives
Optical drives (DVD, CD, etc)
Unpowered USB devices
Powered USB devices
What power supply do you have? (200 or 250watt?)

You may have a configuration that draws too much power from the rather small
PS. Video cards can be a drain on a power supply if it's not on the Shuttle
compatibility list.

Are you overclocking?

Also, what do you use your Shuttle for? Is it a place where airflow is
restricted?

"Sean G." <ethanol at mathlab dot sunysb dot eee dee you> wrote in message
> Howdy,
>
> Who has the most reliable after-market power supplies for shuttle SFF? I
> was gifted an sk41g in December and picked up a second one in February.
The
> power supply on the second one went before I even finished setting it up,
> and the first one just died. Push the power the button--no fan, no
lights,
> no nothing.
>
> Shuttle serviced the first one no charge, but the price of a power supply
is
> worth not having to send my computer away for weeks to be serviced and to
> hopefully get something that will last awhile. The shuttles are great
when
> they are running--I usually keep PCs for 7 or 8 years, and I've never had
> power supply die. Now I've had 2 go in 2 months.
>
> So, does anyone other than shuttle make power supplies for these SFF
cases,
> and who would you guys recommend?
>
> Now I gotta email all the people I recommended shuttle to and tell them to
> buy something else. Packard Bell still in business?
>

> TIA,
>

> Sean G.

Mark,

I had the same configuration for both power supply failures. The power
supply shuttle sent back after service for the first failure was noticeably
louder than the one that came with the system. So I transferred all the
accessories (drives, memory, etc.) from the sk41g I picked up in February
that died almost immediately into the sk41g I received in December.

So this was the configuration for both power supply deaths.

> You never mentioned your SFF configuration. Mind if I ask?
>
> Video card
3dfx Voodoo 4000, AGP
> CPU
XP 2600+
> memory (type and amount)
512 MB single stick Kingston PC3200. (I know this is faster than the
bus, but that's what is on shuttle's support list.)
> Disk drives
Western Digital 80 Gig IDE. 800BB I think.
Internal Iomega Zip 100
> Optical drives (DVD, CD, etc)
Internal Plextor CD-RW...an old one 24x12x24, maybe
> Unpowered USB devices
Occassional import from Canon scanner or digital camera
> Powered USB devices
External Iomega CD-RW USB 2 52x32x52
HP DeskJet USB
> What power supply do you have? (200 or 250watt?)
In both cases, it was the 200W power supply stock with the new SK41G

Also has a powered serial connection to a palm cradle. Power connects to
the serial plug to recharge the palm.

> You may have a configuration that draws too much power from the rather
small
> PS. Video cards can be a drain on a power supply if it's not on the
Shuttle
> compatibility list.
>
> Are you overclocking?
No.

> Also, what do you use your Shuttle for? Is it a place where airflow is
> restricted?

Boring home computer stuff...email, web browsing, Quicken. The occasional
photoshoping with the scanner and digital camera. Absolutely no
correspondence between the power supply failure and USB use.

Airflow should be good. It's in the same spot that had a 700 MHZ Duron
mid-tower for years. Yes, the 2600+ run a lot hotter than the 700, but it
also has a lot more air room behind and above. It is often left on for a
couple days at a time.

The SK41G is February was a gift. I got it, put in the CPU, memory, a hard
drive, and powered it up just to make sure it worked, then wrapped it up and
put it away. About a week later it was opened and set up. I transferred
the hard drive with Windows 2000 from the old Duron system. I was in the
process of installing the drivers for the mobo and accessories. I was
actually on my last driver--for the intellipoint mouse--when I did a reboot
that never came back.

It was about 8 weeks after the return of the system from Shuttle that the
second power supply died. Like I said, I swapped out the systems, so the
accessories were the same for the second incident, but the mobo was
different.

The only thing above that might be out of the ordinary is the old Voodoo
card. But usually power consumption by video goes up over time. My other
sk41g has an ATI Radeon AIW 8500. If anything I have should push the power
supply, that would be it. BTW, I put the new 250W silent X in with the
8500, and the system with the Voodoo card has the 200W supply shuttle sent
back.

So, anything above stand out as a potential issue? The SFF is great, but if
I end up shelling out 70 bucks for a new power supply or being without a
computer for a couple weeks while its back to Shuttle for warranty service
every couple months, I'll just pull the old towers out of the closet.

Thanks for the tips.

Sean G.

So, Sean, here's my thoughts on your configuration.

GOOD
Memory: Great.No problem with PC3200.
CPU: Your MOBO is designed to run this chip.
DD: Western Digital....don't see a problem here.
Powered USB: Never a problem since they're not drawing power from the PS.
Unpowered USB: Cannon scanner must be powered. You're just plugging the USB
cable into the Shuttle...correct?
Unpowered USB: Camera memory into a memory reader such as Iomega is not much
of a draw on the power supply.

NOT SO GOOD
Graphics card: If I'm correct, the 3dfx voodoo 4000 requires an external
power connector for it to run properly. This particular card places a
certain amount of strain on your CPU which, in turn, draws power to the CPU
and the voodoo. The voodoo is NOT on the Shuttle support list while the ATI
Radeon 8500 is. I believe this card is part of the problem if not THE
problem. As you know, we're only dealing with 200 watts. Newer video cards
use .18 and .13 micron technology which reduces power consumption and heat.

Zip Drive: Although this is not drawing mush power when not in use, it's
drawing power none-the-less.

WHAT YOU MIGHT CONSIDER
Here's what I've done to keep strain off my power supply...

Powered USB Hub: I use IOGEAR powered USB 2.0 hub (4 port) to connect
printers, scanners, memory sticks, etc. to the shuttle. This way the Shuttle
doesn't have to provide power to multilple devices attached to the hub.

External ATA Drive Enclosure: I would use one of these to host your Zip
Drive. It has two advantages; 1) the drive case has it's own power supply to
drive the Zip (and an internal fan for cooling), and it can be moved from
one USB capable machine to another and, 2) it plugs into the powered USB Hub
mentioned above.

The whole idea with a limited power supply is to divide and conquer......

Here is some reference materiel you may find useful.

Shuttle VGA compatibility list: This is the list of cards supported by
Shuttle.
http://www.shuttle.com/hq/support/faq/supportlist2.asp?model=SN41G2&vr=SN41G2%20(FN41V1.X,V2.X)&page=3

USB 2.0 Extrenal ATA drive enclosure (they come is 3 1/2" and 2 1/2" as
well).
http://www.tomshardware.com/storage/20030116/

IPGEAR 4 port USB Hub with power adapter.
http://iogear.com/main.php?loc=product&product_id=401&sec=Description

Happy computing :) and hope this helps in some way