Port forwarding problems with SP2

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b D Laptop
March 28, 2005 4:25:04 PM

I have the following setup:
Desktop PC (WinXP Pro sp2) connected to USB ADSL modem.
Laptop PC (WinXP Pro sp2) connected to desktop PC using 802.11g card.

The laptop runs a Java chat app and a remote partner app has to connect to
its port 8080. How do I set up the firewalls to allow this port to get
through to the laptop. I've tried other applications which use a similar
setup, tried a file-sharing app with autosetup of firewall to see if it would
show me the correct setting, but I couldn't figure it out. I'm using the
default XP Firewall on all connections.

Thanks in advance,
Andy
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 29, 2005 3:13:02 PM

Replying to my own post for thread completeness:

Found solution, had to change advanced firewall setting for usb adsl modem
firewall. It seems having port open in firewall for all users is not enough,
I had to explicitly open for laptop.

!