Whats Wrong With My New RAM

Hello I Seem To be having a strang problem .. I have had 1 512kingston hyper
thread ram in my computer. I just installed another. I put another of the
exact RAM card in right next to the one i had in there/ I went through all
the proper procedures as far as i know..unplug the computer. touch somthing
grounded..ect.. when i booted my computer up...it did not read the extra 512
mb i just put in .. just read the card i already had in there. but the funny
thing is is that it doesnt register the new ram in any diagnostic i do..but
in a game that im playing online it screams. i am able to turn the graphics
up much higher that i ever was able to .. so that tells me that it is kindof
working or ..somthing to that effect. any advice would be hugely
appreaciated. thank you

map

"mim" wrote:

> Hello I Seem To be having a strang problem .. I have had 1 512kingston hyper
> thread ram in my computer. I just installed another. I put another of the
> exact RAM card in right next to the one i had in there/ I went through all
> the proper procedures as far as i know..unplug the computer. touch somthing
> grounded..ect.. when i booted my computer up...it did not read the extra 512
> mb i just put in .. just read the card i already had in there. but the funny
> thing is is that it doesnt register the new ram in any diagnostic i do..but
> in a game that im playing online it screams. i am able to turn the graphics
> up much higher that i ever was able to .. so that tells me that it is kindof
> working or ..somthing to that effect. any advice would be hugely
> appreaciated. thank you

Remove and reinstall the ram stick,perhaps it is not seated correctly?

mim wrote:

> Hello I Seem To be having a strang problem .. I have had 1 512kingston hyper
> thread ram in my computer. I just installed another. I put another of the
> exact RAM card in right next to the one i had in there/ I went through all
> the proper procedures as far as i know..unplug the computer. touch somthing
> grounded..ect.. when i booted my computer up...it did not read the extra 512
> mb i just put in .. just read the card i already had in there. but the funny
> thing is is that it doesnt register the new ram in any diagnostic i do..but
> in a game that im playing online it screams. i am able to turn the graphics
> up much higher that i ever was able to .. so that tells me that it is kindof
> working or ..somthing to that effect. any advice would be hugely
> appreaciated. thank you

If your PC has a FD, search for memtest86.exe and run it to test your RAM.
--
Cheers, Bob

I appreciate the advice, although now I am starting to think there is
something wrong with the RAM stick I installed. And To Bob I can find no such
file anywhere on my computer. Is this maby a command ? I am confused beyond
belieaf..Im wondering If anyone has any tips on say maby swaping my RAM chip
positions on my motherboard. or maby trying to use just the new chip without
the one I had previously installed, to maby diagnose what the problem is
here. I dont know a whole lot about RAM but from what I understand you simply
shutdown you computer install the RAM and boot up and it will automaticaly
read the newly installed memory..well ive done that backward and forward..
and as far as I can tell there should be no problem at all.. just looking for
a tip on how to solve this little phenomonon..

http://www.memtest86.com/

"mim" <mim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I appreciate the advice, although now I am starting to think there is
> something wrong with the RAM stick I installed. And To Bob I can find no
> such
> file anywhere on my computer. Is this maby a command ? I am confused
> beyond
> belieaf..Im wondering If anyone has any tips on say maby swaping my RAM
> chip
> positions on my motherboard. or maby trying to use just the new chip
> without
> the one I had previously installed, to maby diagnose what the problem is
> here. I dont know a whole lot about RAM but from what I understand you
> simply
> shutdown you computer install the RAM and boot up and it will automaticaly
> read the newly installed memory..well ive done that backward and forward..
> and as far as I can tell there should be no problem at all.. just looking
> for
> a tip on how to solve this little phenomonon..

fred

Use the BIOS to relax the memory controller's timings, and see if your 2nd
stick is used.

Fred