SS51G does nothing!

I bought a SS51G Shuttle XPC from NewEgg, as well as an Intel P4 2.40A
GHz CPU, and Transcend 512MB DDR333 PC2700 RAM. I added a 80GB Maxtor
HDD, a floppy drive and a LiteOn CDR. I built the darn thing, and
could not get it to POST. No video, no beeps, nothing. Couldn't even
turn it off unless I unplugged it. I sent the components back to
NewEgg figuring one of them was bad. The replacement components do
exactly the same. ARGH!

I unplugged the components one by one, and tried to get the mainboard
to POST. No joy.

I cleared the CMOS, no joy.

I bought a 512MB PC2700 DDR333 from Kingston (which is supposed to be
fully tested in this box). No joy.

I am at the end of my rope. Is there something else going on that I
can do to resuscitate this machine?

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"osagher" <osagher@umich.edu> wrote in message
> I bought a SS51G Shuttle XPC from NewEgg, as well as an Intel P4 2.40A
> GHz CPU, and Transcend 512MB DDR333 PC2700 RAM. I added a 80GB Maxtor
> HDD, a floppy drive and a LiteOn CDR. I built the darn thing, and
> could not get it to POST. No video, no beeps, nothing. Couldn't even
> turn it off unless I unplugged it. I sent the components back to
> NewEgg figuring one of them was bad. The replacement components do
> exactly the same. ARGH!
>
> I unplugged the components one by one, and tried to get the mainboard
> to POST. No joy.
>
> I cleared the CMOS, no joy.
>
> I bought a 512MB PC2700 DDR333 from Kingston (which is supposed to be
> fully tested in this box). No joy.
>
> I am at the end of my rope. Is there something else going on that I
> can do to resuscitate this machine?

Just to save some other poor soul from going through the same pain
that I did, here is the follow-up to the story. I swapped out the P4
2.4A GHz Chip (Prescott core) for a P4 2.4B GHz (Northwood core). The
machine booted up no problem, and has been purring like a satisfied
cat ever since. This is proof that the SS51G Version 2 box is NOT
COMPATIBLE with Prescott core CPU's.

Happy that's over with!!

"Tom" <geoman39@nospamcharter.net> wrote in message news:<108oe371m34kkbe@corp.supernews.com>...
> "osagher" <osagher@umich.edu> wrote in message
> > I bought a SS51G Shuttle XPC from NewEgg, as well as an Intel P4 2.40A
> > GHz CPU, and Transcend 512MB DDR333 PC2700 RAM. I added a 80GB Maxtor
> > HDD, a floppy drive and a LiteOn CDR. I built the darn thing, and
> > could not get it to POST. No video, no beeps, nothing. Couldn't even
> > turn it off unless I unplugged it. I sent the components back to
> > NewEgg figuring one of them was bad. The replacement components do
> > exactly the same. ARGH!
> >
> > I unplugged the components one by one, and tried to get the mainboard
> > to POST. No joy.
> >
> > I cleared the CMOS, no joy.
> >
> > I bought a 512MB PC2700 DDR333 from Kingston (which is supposed to be
> > fully tested in this box). No joy.
> >
> > I am at the end of my rope. Is there something else going on that I
> > can do to resuscitate this machine?

Norman

osagher wrote :

> Just to save some other poor soul from going through the same pain
> that I did, here is the follow-up to the story. I swapped out the P4
> 2.4A GHz Chip (Prescott core) for a P4 2.4B GHz (Northwood core). The
> machine booted up no problem, and has been purring like a satisfied
> cat ever since. This is proof that the SS51G Version 2 box is NOT
> COMPATIBLE with Prescott core CPU's.
>
> Happy that's over with!!

As these boxes are sold sans CPU and OS it would be nice if there was a
hardware and software compatibility list. I recently wasted too many
hours trying to get Win2K Pro running on one and eventually gave up and
loaded XP instead. I was hoping to run it as a Win2K server but have
decided to have a go with a dodgy copy of 2003 server instead.

Has anybody managed to get this combination working?

Andy

2.4 "A" is not a Prescott.... 2.4 "E" is.
A's were 400Mhz fsb, iirc. E's are 800Mhz, and the SS51's chipset falls way
short of this (533mhz as a rated, tested speed)
hth,
Andy.