Can't Install LAN Driver on ST61G4

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

I have a strange problem with my newly built Shuttle ST61G4. I
installed Windows 2000, updated it to SP4 and installed all drivers
from the Shuttle CD. Checking in Device Manager, I saw that I had two
devices which are not functioning properly, the RAID controller, which
I did not install and will not use, and a "PCI device."

I beleive that the PCI device is the built in NIC (Broadcom 4401), as
there is no networking device shown in Device Manager. I found the
NIC drivers on the CD -- I am surprised that they did not show up on
the install menu as the Shuttle instructions said they would -- and I
have tried every way I can think of to install the drivers. I've even
downloaded newer drivers from the Broadcom site. Nothing works.

I am looking for any ideas anyone may have on how to solve this. I am
not planning to use the NIC on this machine, but the fact it is not
installed may be contributing to another problem I am having with the
D-Link 120+ software which is hanging on closing (or the D-Link
software may just be buggy).

Eliot

ewagner at ix dot netcom dot com

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

Eliot,

Have you tried deleting the PCI device in Device Manager, then rebooting?
After the reboot, Win2K should find a new device and ask you where the
driver is, and then you can point it to the appropriate place on your CD?

Jim

<dontspam@me.com> wrote in message
> I have a strange problem with my newly built Shuttle ST61G4. I
> installed Windows 2000, updated it to SP4 and installed all drivers
> from the Shuttle CD. Checking in Device Manager, I saw that I had two
> devices which are not functioning properly, the RAID controller, which
> I did not install and will not use, and a "PCI device."
>
> I beleive that the PCI device is the built in NIC (Broadcom 4401), as
> there is no networking device shown in Device Manager. I found the
> NIC drivers on the CD -- I am surprised that they did not show up on
> the install menu as the Shuttle instructions said they would -- and I
> have tried every way I can think of to install the drivers. I've even
> downloaded newer drivers from the Broadcom site. Nothing works.
>
> I am looking for any ideas anyone may have on how to solve this. I am
> not planning to use the NIC on this machine, but the fact it is not
> installed may be contributing to another problem I am having with the
> D-Link 120+ software which is hanging on closing (or the D-Link
> software may just be buggy).
>
> Eliot
>
> ewagner at ix dot netcom dot com

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

Jim:

Tried that, didn't work. Only change was that I kept being asked on
each boot to install that device. I just started all over at that
point and did a clean install of 2000 and found that the problem
remained.

Eliot

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 18:44:40 -0400, "ohaya"
<ohaya_NO_SPAM@NO_SPAM_cox.net> wrote:

>Eliot,
>
>Have you tried deleting the PCI device in Device Manager, then rebooting?
>After the reboot, Win2K should find a new device and ask you where the
>driver is, and then you can point it to the appropriate place on your CD?
>
>Jim
>

><dontspam@me.com> wrote in message
>> I have a strange problem with my newly built Shuttle ST61G4. I
>> installed Windows 2000, updated it to SP4 and installed all drivers
>> from the Shuttle CD. Checking in Device Manager, I saw that I had two
>> devices which are not functioning properly, the RAID controller, which
>> I did not install and will not use, and a "PCI device."
>>
>> I beleive that the PCI device is the built in NIC (Broadcom 4401), as
>> there is no networking device shown in Device Manager. I found the
>> NIC drivers on the CD -- I am surprised that they did not show up on
>> the install menu as the Shuttle instructions said they would -- and I
>> have tried every way I can think of to install the drivers. I've even
>> downloaded newer drivers from the Broadcom site. Nothing works.
>>
>> I am looking for any ideas anyone may have on how to solve this. I am
>> not planning to use the NIC on this machine, but the fact it is not
>> installed may be contributing to another problem I am having with the
>> D-Link 120+ software which is hanging on closing (or the D-Link
>> software may just be buggy).
>>
>> Eliot
>>
>> ewagner at ix dot netcom dot com

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

Eliot,

Is it possible the NIC may be disabled in the BIOS? I'm not familiar with
the Shuttle, but there's usually a section in the BIOS for "Integrated
Devices", and I'm wondering if the NIC may be disabled there?

> Jim:
>
> Tried that, didn't work. Only change was that I kept being asked on
> each boot to install that device. I just started all over at that
> point and did a clean install of 2000 and found that the problem
> remained.
>
> Eliot
>
> On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 18:44:40 -0400, "ohaya"
> <ohaya_NO_SPAM@NO_SPAM_cox.net> wrote:
>
> >Eliot,
> >
> >Have you tried deleting the PCI device in Device Manager, then rebooting?
> >After the reboot, Win2K should find a new device and ask you where the
> >driver is, and then you can point it to the appropriate place on your CD?
> >
> >Jim
> >

> ><dontspam@me.com> wrote in message
> >> I have a strange problem with my newly built Shuttle ST61G4. I
> >> installed Windows 2000, updated it to SP4 and installed all drivers
> >> from the Shuttle CD. Checking in Device Manager, I saw that I had two
> >> devices which are not functioning properly, the RAID controller, which
> >> I did not install and will not use, and a "PCI device."
> >>
> >> I beleive that the PCI device is the built in NIC (Broadcom 4401), as
> >> there is no networking device shown in Device Manager. I found the
> >> NIC drivers on the CD -- I am surprised that they did not show up on
> >> the install menu as the Shuttle instructions said they would -- and I
> >> have tried every way I can think of to install the drivers. I've even
> >> downloaded newer drivers from the Broadcom site. Nothing works.
> >>
> >> I am looking for any ideas anyone may have on how to solve this. I am
> >> not planning to use the NIC on this machine, but the fact it is not
> >> installed may be contributing to another problem I am having with the
> >> D-Link 120+ software which is hanging on closing (or the D-Link
> >> software may just be buggy).
> >>
> >> Eliot
> >>
> >> ewagner at ix dot netcom dot com

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

Jim:

Checked the BIOS, found only one entry anywhere that had anything to
do with the NIC, and I enabled it. That did not change anything, I'm
afraid.

Eliot

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 22:00:19 -0400, "ohaya"
<ohaya_NO_SPAM@NO_SPAM_cox.net> wrote:

>Eliot,
>
>Is it possible the NIC may be disabled in the BIOS? I'm not familiar with
>the Shuttle, but there's usually a section in the BIOS for "Integrated
>Devices", and I'm wondering if the NIC may be disabled there?
>
>Jim
>

><dontspam@me.com> wrote in message
>> Jim:
>>
>> Tried that, didn't work. Only change was that I kept being asked on
>> each boot to install that device. I just started all over at that
>> point and did a clean install of 2000 and found that the problem
>> remained.
>>
>> Eliot
>>
>> On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 18:44:40 -0400, "ohaya"
>> <ohaya_NO_SPAM@NO_SPAM_cox.net> wrote:
>>
>> >Eliot,
>> >
>> >Have you tried deleting the PCI device in Device Manager, then rebooting?
>> >After the reboot, Win2K should find a new device and ask you where the
>> >driver is, and then you can point it to the appropriate place on your CD?
>> >
>> >Jim
>> >

>> ><dontspam@me.com> wrote in message

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

Eliot,

Sorry, I'm out of ideas. Perhaps try posting in