What is a PCI Simple Communications Controller ?

I have noticed in my device manager that I have an exclamation mark next
to the above device. The trouble is I do not know what it is. My PC run
an Athlon XP 2600 with 512MB of PC 2700 DDR ram and a GF 3 TI500
graphics card. It only has a network card sound card in any PCI slots os
I was wondering what this device is and how can I find out please.
Thanks in advance people.

Philo

pompeyrodney wrote:
> I have noticed in my device manager that I have an exclamation mark next
> to the above device. The trouble is I do not know what it is. My PC run
> an Athlon XP 2600 with 512MB of PC 2700 DDR ram and a GF 3 TI500
> graphics card. It only has a network card sound card in any PCI slots os
> I was wondering what this device is and how can I find out please.
> Thanks in advance people.

that typically shows up if you have a modem
but don't have the drivers installed.
if your machine is working OK...you can just ignore it.
it's possible your motherboard has an unused on-board modem

"philo " <"philo "@privacy.net> wrote in message
> pompeyrodney wrote:
> > I have noticed in my device manager that I have an exclamation mark next
> > to the above device. The trouble is I do not know what it is. My PC run
> > an Athlon XP 2600 with 512MB of PC 2700 DDR ram and a GF 3 TI500
> > graphics card. It only has a network card sound card in any PCI slots os
> > I was wondering what this device is and how can I find out please.
> > Thanks in advance people.
>

> that typically shows up if you have a modem
> but don't have the drivers installed.
> if your machine is working OK...you can just ignore it.
> it's possible your motherboard has an unused on-board modem

Usually, this shows up if you have an AMR (audio modem riser) slot
on your MB but nothing in it. Check your MB manual to see if
this is the case.

Jetro wrote:
> This is your modem without drivers installed.
Thanks jetro I though t it must be something like that but I do not even
use it that's what baffled me.

If you do not use the modem, do not worry about it.
It will not cause a problem.
Just remember if you ever do, you will need to install the modem drivers.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"pompeyrodney" <jdpitt@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Thanks jetro I though t it must be something like that but I do not even
> use it that's what baffled me.

It could well be your modem.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

V Green wrote:
> "philo " <"philo "@privacy.net> wrote in message
>
>>pompeyrodney wrote:
>>
>>>I have noticed in my device manager that I have an exclamation mark next
>>>to the above device. The trouble is I do not know what it is. My PC run
>>>an Athlon XP 2600 with 512MB of PC 2700 DDR ram and a GF 3 TI500
>>>graphics card. It only has a network card sound card in any PCI slots os
>>>I was wondering what this device is and how can I find out please.
>>>Thanks in advance people.
>>

>>that typically shows up if you have a modem
>>but don't have the drivers installed.
>>if your machine is working OK...you can just ignore it.
>>it's possible your motherboard has an unused on-board modem
>

> Usually, this shows up if you have an AMR (audio modem riser) slot
> on your MB but nothing in it. Check your MB manual to see if
> this is the case.

Thanks mate I think that may well be the case, the board is an MSI KT3
Ultra 2 by the way.
Cheers