  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
May 3, 2004 6:13:36 PM

Hi experts,

I am setting my eyes on a Shutttle XPC SB65G2 barebone PC
and planning to build a HTPC on top of it. The configuration is
going to be P4 2.8C, 512 MB DDR400, 160 GB WD HD,
and a ATI AIW 7500.

My goal is use this box to record TV shows periodically. And use
it as music/file server. I want to keep the unit on all the time.

I have the following questions:
1. Is it okay to leave it on all the time just like people do to their
desktop PCs?
2. How good is the onboard WIFI? Should I purchase a separate
USB 11g card to improve the performance? Is it reliable(no interruption)
to serve all network traffic wirelessly?
3. Any comments on the noise level? Can I put it behind a cabinet door
to reduce the noise?

Thanks in advance for all you help,
Eugene

More about : shuttle xpc sb65g2 htpc

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 4, 2004 4:36:04 AM

On Mon, 3 May 2004 14:13:36 -0700, "Eugene Zhang"
<eugene.zhang@oracle.com> wrote:

>1. Is it okay to leave it on all the time just like people do to their
>desktop PCs?

Should be a problem.

>2. How good is the onboard WIFI? Should I purchase a separate
>USB 11g card to improve the performance? Is it reliable(no interruption)
>to serve all network traffic wirelessly?

Well, even .11g is still quite slow compared to cabled network. Theory
is 54 Mbps -- if you get the half you should be happy. Havn't had any
trouble so far with the Shuttle .11b USB-unit, but not used it too
much.

>3. Any comments on the noise level? Can I put it behind a cabinet door
>to reduce the noise?

Here you have a little problem. Getting a Shuttle-model with the new
SilentX-powersupplies will be better. Thus, still these models* are
quite noisy (* based on my experince with the ST61G4). If low noise is
important, you can look at the ST62K "Zen" -- thus, this have no
AGP-slot and no default WLAN. A new silver-model came now and look
better than the original white box.

I have sevral SFF-systems running, and reviewed even more. My personal
favorite at the moment is the IWill IMax. It's also based on the 865G
and have a 250W internal PSU. I really like the technical design, and
it's almost as silent as the Zen, but in so many ways better. The IMax
can be delivered with .11b as standard, and in addition have 2 NIC
(10/100 and 10/100/1000). It also has an external S-ATA-connector --
are now starting to see hdd-housings with S-ATA-interface. You get the
same performance as installing the drive internaly.

The IMax might not be as good looking exterior as many of the
Shuttle-units, but it is very nice inside. It also uses a
heatpipe-based CPU-cooler-solution, and two fans side by side cool
both PSU, CPU and the unit. A memorycard-reader is also standard.

Don't think there is too much info out on the web yet on the IWill
IMax. If you drop me an e-mail I can mail you some images of the Imax
interior and more.

--
Clas Mehus
Dataguiden : http://www.pcworld.no/dataguiden/