adding AGP card to SN41G2V2

Hi,

I think the integrated NVidia MX4 card does not cope very well with my TFT
screen, in 1280x1024. I get a ghosty picture, and reading text is difficult.

The screen is a Samsung 17'' 172V, and I have seen it running in a shop,
connected to an ATI card, with perfect result...

I am therefore thinking about putting an AGP card inside, like a Radeon 9200
or Radeon 9200SE.

Does anybody know if:

1) those cards are compatible with the shuttle

2) if they don't produce too much heat for the case, or have cooling issues

3) if it would be better to buy the SE version to get a cooler case

Thanks!

Seb

These will be fine, though you should really think of a card upgrade to
future proof your purchase. Go for a 9600XT or 9600SE rather than the 9200.
I am running a 9800Pro thats overclocked without any problems in my SN41G2
V2 without any problems at all..

Dom

"S." <s@sb.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I think the integrated NVidia MX4 card does not cope very well with my TFT
> screen, in 1280x1024. I get a ghosty picture, and reading text is
difficult.

> The screen is a Samsung 17'' 172V, and I have seen it running in a shop,
> connected to an ATI card, with perfect result...
>
> I am therefore thinking about putting an AGP card inside, like a Radeon
9200
> or Radeon 9200SE.
>
> Does anybody know if:
>
> 1) those cards are compatible with the shuttle
>
> 2) if they don't produce too much heat for the case, or have cooling
issues

> 3) if it would be better to buy the SE version to get a cooler case
>

> Thanks!
>
> Seb

Thanks.

I might go for a 9600SE then. Have you noticed an increase in fan noice in
yours, due to the heat generated by the graphic card?

Seb

"D R Tester" <dr.tester[nospam]@ntlworldnospam.com> wrote in message
> These will be fine, though you should really think of a card upgrade to
> future proof your purchase. Go for a 9600XT or 9600SE rather than the
9200.
> I am running a 9800Pro thats overclocked without any problems in my SN41G2
> V2 without any problems at all..
>
> Dom
>

> "S." <s@sb.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I think the integrated NVidia MX4 card does not cope very well with my
TFT
> > screen, in 1280x1024. I get a ghosty picture, and reading text is
> difficult.
> >
> > The screen is a Samsung 17'' 172V, and I have seen it running in a shop,
> > connected to an ATI card, with perfect result...
> >
> > I am therefore thinking about putting an AGP card inside, like a Radeon
> 9200
> > or Radeon 9200SE.
> >
> > Does anybody know if:
> >
> > 1) those cards are compatible with the shuttle
> >
> > 2) if they don't produce too much heat for the case, or have cooling
> issues
> >
> > 3) if it would be better to buy the SE version to get a cooler case
> >

> > Thanks!
> >
> > Seb

No, not at all, though I have done loads of mods to my system - replaced all
fans for higher performance, low noise equivalents, removed the rear grill
etc...........

Dom

"S." <s@sb.com> wrote in message
> Thanks.
>
> I might go for a 9600SE then. Have you noticed an increase in fan noice in
> yours, due to the heat generated by the graphic card?
>
> Seb
>
> "D R Tester" <dr.tester[nospam]@ntlworldnospam.com> wrote in message
> > These will be fine, though you should really think of a card upgrade to
> > future proof your purchase. Go for a 9600XT or 9600SE rather than the
> 9200.
> > I am running a 9800Pro thats overclocked without any problems in my
SN41G2
> > V2 without any problems at all..
> >
> > Dom
> >

> > "S." <s@sb.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I think the integrated NVidia MX4 card does not cope very well with my
> TFT
> > > screen, in 1280x1024. I get a ghosty picture, and reading text is
> > difficult.
> > >
> > > The screen is a Samsung 17'' 172V, and I have seen it running in a
shop,
> > > connected to an ATI card, with perfect result...
> > >
> > > I am therefore thinking about putting an AGP card inside, like a
Radeon
> > 9200
> > > or Radeon 9200SE.
> > >
> > > Does anybody know if:
> > >
> > > 1) those cards are compatible with the shuttle
> > >
> > > 2) if they don't produce too much heat for the case, or have cooling
> > issues
> > >
> > > 3) if it would be better to buy the SE version to get a cooler case
> > >

> > > Thanks!
> > >
> > > Seb

May I ask you how you replaced the fans and which ones you installed?

> No, not at all, though I have done loads of mods to my system - replaced
all
> fans for higher performance, low noise equivalents, removed the rear grill
> etc...........
>
> Dom
>

> "S." <s@sb.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks.
> >
> > I might go for a 9600SE then. Have you noticed an increase in fan noice
in
> > yours, due to the heat generated by the graphic card?
> >
> > Seb
> >
> > "D R Tester" <dr.tester[nospam]@ntlworldnospam.com> wrote in message
> > > These will be fine, though you should really think of a card upgrade
> > > future proof your purchase. Go for a 9600XT or 9600SE rather than the
> > 9200.
> > > I am running a 9800Pro thats overclocked without any problems in my
> SN41G2
> > > V2 without any problems at all..
> > >
> > > Dom
> > >

> > > "S." <s@sb.com> wrote in message

> > TFT
> > > difficult.

> shop,

> Radeon
> > > 9200

> > > issues

You never mentioned what you'ld be using the Shuttle for. Gaming?

I have an ATI 9200 in my Shuttle and it works just fine. I play HALO every
so often and the card serves me well as long as I use low settings. If
you're a gamer, you'll probably want a more capable card...as the other
folks in this newsgroup stream suggest.

ATI cards work well with Shuttle and are on the Shuttle compatibility list
including the 7500, 8500, 9000, 9200 9600, 9700, and 9800 models. If your
like me, value is the main objective. You know, bang for the buck. Graphics
cards can get really expensive. And no matter what you buy, next year your
card will be legacy at best.

ATI 9900 anyone?