AK31 ver3.1 Sound Problems. Assistance, Please!

Howdy.

I'm working on a friend's system here, and we're having some
perplexing problems getting this Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 card to work.
We have already disabled the integrated sound (VIA OnChip PCI
Device>ACR7Audio) through the BIOS, and we are still experiencing
problems. The system doesn't detect any audio hardware at all. It sees
the hardware fine, but it doesn't detect the hardware and enebale
playback for music, videos, and other media. This was happening before
we put in the PCI Sound Blaster Live!, and despite having the onboard
sound disabled, continues to occur. Does anyone have any idea how this
might be corrected? We've been struggling for hours attempting to
manually disable the integrated sound through the device manager, with
no luck of course, so if anyone knows how to correct this I'd
appreciate the help.

Thanks

I guess this will be a silly question but...............
Are the drivers loaded for the SoundBlaster?

Please do a breakdown of your system so more info is there for us to see!
;-)
--
later,
dave

my system:
AK32VN v3.1 (set J2 jumper so CPU reads 2400+)
AMD XP 2400 with cooler fan
1 x 256 Centon ddr 266MHz PC2100
1 x 256 Kingston ddr 266MHz PC2100
Antec case (new Antec True Power 430 Watt Power Supply)
NEW WD 40 gig Hard Drive
Diamond Stealth 540III AGP 32MB
XP Home