Not connecting to DWL-G800AP Extender

On my home network, I have a DI624 Wireless Router and a DWL-G800AP Wireless
Range Extender configured as a repeater. My Dell Latitude 100L laptop's
operating system was upgraded from windows 2000 server to XP professional.
Now I can no longer connect to my home network through the Extender. If I
move next to the router I do connect. However, I am not getting assigned an
IP when I try to connect through the Extender. I upgraded the onboard
wireless Adapter driver to 3.100.35.1 but this did not help. I also upgraded
the firmware in the DWL-G800AP to 1.5. What can I do to connect to my network
through the Extender?

Most of the cases when the wireless association is achieved and the IP
address is not acquired are caused by a WEP key mismatch. Are you using
encryption? This should be one of the first settings to check. How do you
configure your wireless client? Are you using the wireless configuration in
Windows XP or a vendor provide utility to configure the wireless card?

Here are a few comments on your description below. The Windows 2000
operating system doesn't offer a wireless configuration service, so I
believe you used a vendor provided configuration utility to setup your
wireless adapter on Windows 2000 server. In order to migrate from Windows
2000 server to XP professional there is no direct upgrade path, so I
understand you performed a clean install of Windows XP Professional. In
this case the configuration utility provided with the wireless adapter was
no longer on the laptop unless you re-installed it once XP was clean
installed.

Again, please check that the encryption key configured on the XP client
laptop and on the DWL-G800AP match and if you still cannot fix the issue
this way - please send a detailed description of the wireless network
configuration of the extender and of the network interface on the XP laptop.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights

"XPNRS" <XPNRS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> On my home network, I have a DI624 Wireless Router and a DWL-G800AP
> Wireless
> Range Extender configured as a repeater. My Dell Latitude 100L laptop's
> operating system was upgraded from windows 2000 server to XP professional.
> Now I can no longer connect to my home network through the Extender. If I
> move next to the router I do connect. However, I am not getting assigned
> an
> IP when I try to connect through the Extender. I upgraded the onboard
> wireless Adapter driver to 3.100.35.1 but this did not help. I also
> upgraded
> the firmware in the DWL-G800AP to 1.5. What can I do to connect to my
> network
> through the Extender?

Thanks for your response. WEP is turned off. Your correct that the 2000
server OS was blown away and XPProf installed. The wireless utility has been
reinstalled. I have worked with both DLink and Dell who both assure me that
the Router and Extender are correctly configured. I also installed a DLink
DWL-G630 Wireless Adapter and the Dlink wireless utility. I am also unable
to connect to the extender with this adapter. Someone said to me that XP
does not see the extender(repeater) as a real network and so will not connect
to it. I'm beginning to believe this as I unplug the extender in order to
connect with a poor connection.

Nelson

"Mihai Peicu [MSFT]" wrote:

> Most of the cases when the wireless association is achieved and the IP
> address is not acquired are caused by a WEP key mismatch. Are you using
> encryption? This should be one of the first settings to check. How do you
> configure your wireless client? Are you using the wireless configuration in
> Windows XP or a vendor provide utility to configure the wireless card?
>
> Here are a few comments on your description below. The Windows 2000
> operating system doesn't offer a wireless configuration service, so I
> believe you used a vendor provided configuration utility to setup your
> wireless adapter on Windows 2000 server. In order to migrate from Windows
> 2000 server to XP professional there is no direct upgrade path, so I
> understand you performed a clean install of Windows XP Professional. In
> this case the configuration utility provided with the wireless adapter was
> no longer on the laptop unless you re-installed it once XP was clean
> installed.
>
> Again, please check that the encryption key configured on the XP client
> laptop and on the DWL-G800AP match and if you still cannot fix the issue
> this way - please send a detailed description of the wireless network
> configuration of the extender and of the network interface on the XP laptop.

> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights
>
> "XPNRS" <XPNRS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > On my home network, I have a DI624 Wireless Router and a DWL-G800AP
> > Wireless
> > Range Extender configured as a repeater. My Dell Latitude 100L laptop's
> > operating system was upgraded from windows 2000 server to XP professional.
> > Now I can no longer connect to my home network through the Extender. If I
> > move next to the router I do connect. However, I am not getting assigned
> > an
> > IP when I try to connect through the Extender. I upgraded the onboard
> > wireless Adapter driver to 3.100.35.1 but this did not help. I also
> > upgraded
> > the firmware in the DWL-G800AP to 1.5. What can I do to connect to my
> > network
> > through the Extender?

Fitz

I use the same D-Link extender with XPPro, XPHome, Win98SE, a Belkin Pre-N
wireless router, and D-Link wireless USB cards without problem. Are your
sure your IP address and subnets are set correctly? Have you tried
connecting the extender directly to a port on your router to check
configuration?

> [...]
>>
>> "XPNRS" <XPNRS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > On my home network, I have a DI624 Wireless Router and a DWL-G800AP
>> > Wireless
>> > Range Extender configured as a repeater. My Dell Latitude 100L
>> > laptop's
>> > operating system was upgraded from windows 2000 server to XP
>> > professional.
>> > Now I can no longer connect to my home network through the Extender.
>> > If I
>> > move next to the router I do connect. However, I am not getting
>> > assigned
>> > an
>> > IP when I try to connect through the Extender. I upgraded the onboard
>> > wireless Adapter driver to 3.100.35.1 but this did not help. I also
>> > upgraded
>> > the firmware in the DWL-G800AP to 1.5. What can I do to connect to my

Yes, I did that with both Dlink and Dell Tech Support.

"Fitz" wrote:

> [...]
> >> 2000 server to XP professional there is no direct upgrade path, so I
> >> understand you performed a clean install of Windows XP Professional. In
> >> this case the configuration utility provided with the wireless adapter
> >> was
> >> no longer on the laptop unless you re-installed it once XP was clean
> >> installed.
> >>
> >> Again, please check that the encryption key configured on the XP client
> >> laptop and on the DWL-G800AP match and if you still cannot fix the issue
> >> this way - please send a detailed description of the wireless network
> >> configuration of the extender and of the network interface on the XP
> >> laptop.
> >>
> >> --
> >> ===========================================================
> >> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights

Fitz

What happens when you connect the extender directly to the router with a
network cable? Are you able to access the web interface or do you get an
error? I think it's 192.168.1.30 (I changed mine to match my router).

> Yes, I did that with both Dlink and Dell Tech Support.
>
> "Fitz" wrote:
>
>> I use the same D-Link extender with XPPro, XPHome, Win98SE, a Belkin
>> Pre-N
>> wireless router, and D-Link wireless USB cards without problem. Are your
>> sure your IP address and subnets are set correctly? Have you tried
>> connecting the extender directly to a port on your router to check
>> configuration?
>>

>> "XPNRS" <XPNRS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks for your response. WEP is turned off. Your correct that the
>> > 2000
>> > server OS was blown away and XPProf installed. The wireless utility
>> > has
>> > been
>> > reinstalled. I have worked with both DLink and Dell who both assure me
>> > that
>> > the Router and Extender are correctly configured. I also installed a
>> > DLink
>> > DWL-G630 Wireless Adapter and the Dlink wireless utility. I am also
>> > unable
>> > to connect to the extender with this adapter. Someone said to me that
>> > XP
>> > does not see the extender(repeater) as a real network and so will not
>> > connect
>> > to it. I'm beginning to believe this as I unplug the extender in order
>> > connect with a poor connection.
>> >
>> > Nelson

It connects up with no error. I'm able to see the complete configuration.