Query re RAID Options for Shuttle Zen XPC

All concerned,

I'm setting up a Shuttle Zen XPC machine running Windows 2000. I also
plan to be run Windows XP and Linux on this machine. I am seeking
recommendations or personal experiences with RAID options for the Zen
XPC. My desire behind RAID is to run a simple 2 disk mirror in a
RAID-1 config. The principle thrust is to reduce the possbility of
data loss.

My current configuration has 2 WD 8 MB cache, 120 GB SATA disks. The
Zen comes with an open PCI slot, and my current thrust is to add a
SATA based RAID card. I am looking at options like:

- Promise FastTrak S150 TX2plus
- Highpoint Rocket 1520
- other smaller vendors

Woudl very much welcome your personal experiences, including any
reasons why certain cards should be discounted, experiences with
running Linux on a Shuttle Zen (secondary issue for now), and just
basic advice on RAID and the Zen.

Regards,

Rajan

Why didn't you get the SB61G4 with the built-in RAID-1?

"Rajan DAtta" <rdatta@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> All concerned,
>
> I'm setting up a Shuttle Zen XPC machine running Windows 2000. I also
> plan to be run Windows XP and Linux on this machine. I am seeking
> recommendations or personal experiences with RAID options for the Zen
> XPC. My desire behind RAID is to run a simple 2 disk mirror in a
> RAID-1 config. The principle thrust is to reduce the possbility of
> data loss.
>
> My current configuration has 2 WD 8 MB cache, 120 GB SATA disks. The
> Zen comes with an open PCI slot, and my current thrust is to add a
> SATA based RAID card. I am looking at options like:
>
> - Promise FastTrak S150 TX2plus
> - Highpoint Rocket 1520
> - other smaller vendors
>
> Woudl very much welcome your personal experiences, including any
> reasons why certain cards should be discounted, experiences with
> running Linux on a Shuttle Zen (secondary issue for now), and just
> basic advice on RAID and the Zen.
>
> Regards,
>
> Rajan

Why didn't you get the ST61G4 with the built-in RAID-1?

"Rajan DAtta" <rdatta@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> All concerned,
>
> I'm setting up a Shuttle Zen XPC machine running Windows 2000. I also
> plan to be run Windows XP and Linux on this machine. I am seeking
> recommendations or personal experiences with RAID options for the Zen
> XPC. My desire behind RAID is to run a simple 2 disk mirror in a
> RAID-1 config. The principle thrust is to reduce the possbility of
> data loss.
>
> My current configuration has 2 WD 8 MB cache, 120 GB SATA disks. The
> Zen comes with an open PCI slot, and my current thrust is to add a
> SATA based RAID card. I am looking at options like:
>
> - Promise FastTrak S150 TX2plus
> - Highpoint Rocket 1520
> - other smaller vendors
>
> Woudl very much welcome your personal experiences, including any
> reasons why certain cards should be discounted, experiences with
> running Linux on a Shuttle Zen (secondary issue for now), and just
> basic advice on RAID and the Zen.
>
> Regards,
>
> Rajan

As I've understood it, the Shuttle Zen XPC is Shuttle's best effort at
a low noise, quiey machine at this time. This comes about from a bunch
of different technologies. A quiet machine was my number 1 priority; I
can add RAID later, hard to make a Shuttle quiet.

Regards,

Rajan